Nagoya UT-72G...Thoughts?

WRTB501

Question

Hello all! I seen alot of good reviews on people using this on there HT for setting it up as a base station for them, i have the Wouxun KG-935G and i did see some people using it on that radio as well, has anyone had experience with this antenna personally or have any thoughts on it if its worth getting or atleast trying to use it at home? thxs

-Chris/WRTB501

16 answers to this question

I use one at my house with my KG-935G and various other HTs.  Its a fine little antenna and it has many farz.. Just remember that it needs a ground-plane so slap it on a cookie-pan or something.

Whatever antenna you use, if you're using more than just a couple of feet of antenna-cable, be sure to get GOOD quality/LOW loss cable..

6 minutes ago, OffRoaderX said:

Just remember that it needs a ground-plane so slap it on a cookie-pan or something.

I have this antenna on my mobile base, and i was disappointed at first until i realized it needed a ground plane lol. i moved it to the middle of table and it works MUCH better. Good product.

24 minutes ago, WRTB501 said:

...does it matter the size of the ground plane or ideal size anyways? 

"Some people" will answer with calculations and laws of physics and big words in an attempt impress us - ignore them.

Any cookie sheet big enough to have at least a few inches all around the base is fine.

oh i see 

7 minutes ago, WRTB501 said:

I was thinking of getting it from BuyTwoWayRadios, i figured that would be the best bet to make sure i get what i know i should get lol

oh i see what your saying now lol, do you know what the delivery speed is from this site by chance?

I just received this antenna from Amazon 2 days ago to pair with my UV-9G and GMRS-V2. It worked very well attached to a pizza pan in my front window, but it REALLY shines stuck to the roof of my SUV. I have three repeaters in my area that I've been *barely* able to connect to, but not communicate through due to static. I can now transmit and receive clearly on all three repeaters with no problem.