Newbie dumb repeater question

WRTF674

Question

Hi everyone, I'm new here and to the whole GMRS world.  I just got my radios and my license and Im starting to play around with them.  My question is, can GMRS radios only hook in to repeaters that start with 462 or 467?  There are multiple repeaters around my area and areas I wish to explore from an internet search but they all start with the 100's and 200's.  Are those repeaters HAM repeaters?  Thank you, Im sure this is a simple question just trying to learn this new adventure.

3 answers to this question

16 minutes ago, WRTF674 said:

Hi everyone, I'm new here and to the whole GMRS world.  I just got my radios and my license and Im starting to play around with them.  My question is, can GMRS radios only hook in to repeaters that start with 462 or 467?  There are multiple repeaters around my area and areas I wish to explore from an internet search but they all start with the 100's and 200's.  Are those repeaters HAM repeaters?  Thank you, Im sure this is a simple question just trying to learn this new adventure.

Yes, GMRS radios can only operate in the GMRS frequency range (aka band) which is in the 462-467 MHz range.

There are lots of different communications bands within the 100 and 200 MHz ranges. Broadcast FM, air traffic, business radios, MURS, public safety(police, fire, ambulance), television, animal trackers, and amateur radios.

1 hour ago, Sshannon said:

There are lots of different communications bands within the 100 and 200 MHz ranges. Broadcast FM, air traffic, business radios, MURS, public safety(police, fire, ambulance), television, animal trackers, and amateur radios.

I spend much more time listening to the 1**MHz band than I do talking on the GMRS band lol

2 hours ago, WRTF674 said:

Yes, the current part 95e rules don't leave much leeway for radios to transmit outside of gmrs and still be able to gain certification; the rules do allow for another certified service (dual 90/95e certification), but there appear to be few (if any) radios with that dual certification. Much of the gmrs gear on the market is closely related to ham gear, with firmware changes for compliance (only allow transmitting on the approved 462.xxx and 467.xxx frequencies.

Those repeaters in the 100's and 200's you refer to are probably ham or public safety; 144-148 and 222-225 are ham, while the 150's has a bunch of business and public safety (MURS is there too, but no repeaters).

A side effect of the hardware being related to ham is that many will be able to receive a whole lot of spectrum outside of gmrs (just not transmit). I believe my btech receives 136-174mhz and 400-520mhz, plus commercial fm. Some can receive even more (like the wouxun kg1000g).