Is the Baofeng GMRS-9R the fully fixed version of the Baofeng UV-9G?

WRQV528

Question

After watching @OffRoaderX's review of the Baofeng GMRS-9R, I've been wondering if it's a fully fixed UV-9G without the 8 issues outlined by him back in August, listed below. The ones I have crossed-out I believe are not applicable to the GMRS-9R based off of his review and reviews on Amazon, but if I am wrong, please correct me of course.

Does the GMRS-9R have the following issues that existed on the original inventory of UV-9Gs...

1. Pre-set CTCSS/DCS on all stock channels?
  2. All channels set to narrowband?
  3. Difficulty swapping the screw to/from the headset cover to/from the programming cable (solved by including two screws in the package)?
  4. Missing CHIRP compatibility?
  5. Baofeng's programming software is in RAR and not ZIP?
  6. Cannot change transmit power with the "#" button?
  7. Inflexible DIY channels?
  8. Antenna interface cannot accommodate other antennas such as the Nagoya NA-771G without modification?

11 answers to this question

Straight from the horses-ass...Erhh.. MOUTH..

#3 - The GMRS-9R (mine at least) does not come with a programming cable -So... problem solved!

#5 - The software for the GMRS-9R is in .RAR (not really a big deal).. I just use CHIRP - problem solved!

#6 - The # button only changes power level when in VFO mode.. You get the "screw-you" tone in channel mode

#8 - Fixed! Both the Abbree flexible antenna (with a huge base) and the Nagoya 771 fit

I’m getting ready to pickup another gmrs radio. Trying to decide between the UV-9r and GMRS-9R. 

after watching your video on the UV-9R, this sounds like it would exactly fit my needs for off-roading, hunting, and hiking. 

my neighbor just picked up a GMRS-9R. (Is this a new improved/updated version of the UV-9R?) 

Do you still like the UV-9r over the GMRS-9R model for this type of use? 

I really like the Wouxun KG-S88G, but for the price point of the UV-9r and the GMRS-9R are what I want for one that’s going to potentially get beat up in the field.

I REALLY like the USB-C charging port and other features on the KG-S88. So I will likely pick up one of these sometime in the future for long road trips. 

But for now, I’m trying to decide between the UV-9R and the newer GMRS-9R. 

(Or should I just bite the bullet now and get the Wouxun?) 

I’d appreciate any insight that you could give me on these. 

thanks in advance 

thanks for the reply. I’m newer with GMRS, but I’m already addicted. Lol. 

Oh my bad on mis-quoting the model number. 

But after watching some more videos and learning more about the different types of radios, I decided that my next radio is going to be in the realm of the KG-935g or the new KG-S88. 

i like the group the scanning and decided that I want a superheterodyne based radio. Does anyone have any thoughts on the KG-935g vs the KG-S88? 

Thanks again for the reply and feedback. 

After talking to the guys at BTWR, I think the 935 might be the one.

It’s not a superheterodyne based radio, but it seems to have the feature combination that I’m looking for right now.

That new Bluetooth programable radio has spiked greatly my interest, but right now I don’t know if I want to wait 5 weeks

1 hour ago, MichaelLAX said:

Who is Abbrree and why are they selling this radio instead of Baofeng?

They've been pushing the tacticool folding tape measure antennas on Amazon for awhile...perhaps they've decided to take a shot at what btech has done with baofeng and what btwr and others have done with wouxun... spec'ing a run of certified/certifiable radios?

The telling part would be whether there's another source for that model besides Abbree. If not, custom spec is probably what it is....for Baofeng, its a win because they just make the radios and ship them, Abbree takes the risk on whether they'll sell or not.

On 7/7/2022 at 3:16 PM, OffRoaderX said:

Straight from the horses-ass...Erhh.. MOUTH..

#3 - The GMRS-9R (mine at least) does not come with a programming cable -So... problem solved!

#5 - The software for the GMRS-9R is in .RAR (not really a big deal).. I just use CHIRP - problem solved!

#6 - The # button only changes power level when in VFO mode.. You get the "screw-you" tone in channel mode

#8 - Fixed! Both the Abbree flexible antenna (with a huge base) and the Nagoya 771 fit

Hi all, I'm new to GMRS and I've been trying to understand which one of these radios is the newer or more robust model. Apologies for resurrecting the old thread, but my searches aren't turning up the answer so far. IP67 is important for me. Both of these radios look like they'd be fine for me, so I'm having trouble choosing. Thank you!

On 12/31/2022 at 5:05 PM, Chimborazo said:

Hi all, I'm new to GMRS and I've been trying to understand which one of these radios is the newer or more robust model. Apologies for resurrecting the old thread, but my searches aren't turning up the answer so far. IP67 is important for me. Both of these radios look like they'd be fine for me, so I'm having trouble choosing. Thank you!

I tried two different GMRS 9R's and both of them had reception problems. Transmitting was fine but when it came to receiving signals, they were deaf as a stump. I've never owned a UV-9G so I don't know if they have this problem or not. If you must have a radio with the IP67 rating, you might want to bite the bullet and buy a Wouxun KG-S88G.

I agree with WRUA294 above, though I tend to prefer Wouxun radios because most of them have a superheterodyne receiver (except for the KG-935G & XS20G).  I own the KG-935G and the S88G, as well as the KG-UV9G.  I prefer the interface and screen on the KG-935G, but my favorite radio is the KG-UV9G.  If you want IP67, then the S88G is the one you want, though it's my least-favorite radio to use.  I don't like the small display, but it seems to work well otherwise.
If only Wouxun could combine the display/interface of the KG-935Gx with the flexibility & Superhet receiver of the KG-UV9G, and the IP67 rating of the S88G.  That's a radio I'd really like to see!
Latest Chirp software (Chirp Next) is compatible with the KG-935G (and the KG-1000G/Gx), but not the other radios as far as I can tell, though the radio-specific software the others use is usable. 
Add a Nagoya 701G and 771G antenna to the S88G and it would be a great emergency setup.