City Repeaters ??

WQZQ295

I'm probably beating a dead horse with this.

Does, anyone know if there is a way to get a city to place a GMRS antenna, city limits, county, etc, where it would be open to everyone.  Has anyone any experience with this.   There are vey few in my state and the ones that do exist are private.  

You might have a better chance if your city has a REACT team or emergency communication team. Kinda like https://mcacs.net/ whom has P25 repeaters in our area. Maybe even amateur radio clubs might be able to help.

We are fortunate, here we have REACT repeaters peppering D.C. (you need to be a REACT member to use). I also got access to a repeater, part of a several repeaters, which are not "LISTED" on purpose. Their main function is for the Red Cross. I guess the owner of the repeaters select users to limit usage. Most of us that have access do not mention them, nor do we share the information (mostly out of respect for the owner and its purpose, not to be selfish).  The real repeaters (the one I have access to) are big $$$$$, commercial antennas, commercial gear on commercial sites. 

You may get the city to budget repeaters for emergency communication usage. Stating regular use of the system by locals can assure the system is ready when needed. I do imagine it being tough with a city that has a small population. Plus most municipalities will want to set up a emergency communication system on p25 (preferably encrypted) for interagency interoperability (most likely P25 phase2). 

A Retvis 97 is just not going to cut it for city coverage.

Maybe start a local GMRS Club with the amateur radio operators?

Meet your local HAM club or 911 Radio Network Operator--they will likely have access to hill-top towers and may be receptive to running or leasing you some space. In my county, I am the 911 Radio admin and I am currently working with my UHF/VHF team on feasibility of using spare space in my hill-top towers for a GMRS repeater re-using some state-provided repeater gear we have just acquired as spares. I'm just waiting on them doing some surveying to make sure it won't interfere with our 700MHz PS network or our UHF/VHF fall-back (legacy) networks. 

Edited by WRQW894
doubled, whoops!

1 hour ago, WQZQ295 said:

I'm probably beating a dead horse with this.

Does, anyone know if there is a way to get a city to place a GMRS antenna, city limits, county, etc, where it would be open to everyone.  Has anyone any experience with this.   There are vey few in my state and the ones that do exist are private.  

Keep in mind that you need more than an antenna if you want to benefit the public. You’ll need a repeater and a duplexer and some way to power it all. 

One of the members of our group recently was successful in having his city put up an open GMRS repeater intended primarily for emergency use, but also available the rest of the time.

He is now trying to expand to other local cities but is facing much resistance and typical bureaucracy and red-tape of getting the city government to approve everything.

3 hours ago, OffRoaderX said:

One of the members of our group recently was successful in having his city put up an open GMRS repeater intended primarily for emergency use, but also available the rest of the time.

He is now trying to expand to other local cities but is facing much resistance and typical bureaucracy and red-tape of getting the city government to approve everything.

Whereas 25 years ago a 250 page book covered GMRS repeater listings... Most required one to contact the owner for access. Those with semi-open access (which means the listing had a clause "only for emergency and traveller assistance...." followed by a CTCSS tone) tended to be government entities. For examples: .575 PL 146.2; Grand Rapids City Government Radio Engineering[sponsor still active license]... .725 PL 141.3; WXMI (TV 17)[expired in 2000] Both entries required prior approval for use of other CTCSS tones...

Of course, as businesses transitioned to narrow band gear they likely gave up the GMRS licenses