KG-935G menu item 53 SIM-RX ?

aa7jc

Question

18 answers to this question

I was using the 935G as a scanner the other day listening to two different county sheriff departments during a large wild fire. It got confusing and I was thinking it sure would be nice if there was a way to scan both but not hear both at once. Sad thing is the user manual is pretty easy to read... if only I had read that far. Thanks for the heads up on #53.

5 minutes ago, WRHS218 said:

Sad thing is the user manual is pretty easy to read... if only I had read that far. Thanks for the heads up on #53.

If you had read that far, you'd have found the manual runs

52 TIMER
53 AUTOLOCK
54 PONMSG

while the radio is

52 TIMER
53 SIM-RX
54 AUTOLOCK

Now to figure out how to set TONE-SCAN to a button... It appears tone-scan can only be started WHILE receiving a signal, but by the time one navigates the menu to activate it, most signals are gone. {Accomplished - I can live without 2nd-band PTT, move FM broadcast radio to long-press, and put CTCSS scan on short-press. With luck I can catch a few tones that might indicate repeater usage during my next chemo session.

2 hours ago, KAF6045 said:

If you had read that far, you'd have found the manual runs

52 TIMER
53 AUTOLOCK
54 PONMSG

while the radio is

52 TIMER
53 SIM-RX
54 AUTOLOCK

Now to figure out how to set TONE-SCAN to a button... It appears tone-scan can only be started WHILE receiving a signal, but by the time one navigates the menu to activate it, most signals are gone. {Accomplished - I can live without 2nd-band PTT, move FM broadcast radio to long-press, and put CTCSS scan on short-press. With luck I can catch a few tones that might indicate repeater usage during my next chemo session.

Well fiddlesticks, my radio is:

52 TIMER
53 AUTOLOCK
54 PONMSG

I don't have SIM-RX anywhere. I will have to dig around in software and see what I can see.

5 hours ago, KAF6045 said:

I don't see any way to access firmware version. Note that SIM-RX does not appear in the programming software for the radio.

Chirp has a beta version that I tested a few days ago and this is what I saw.  It looks like FW version?

Ken WQXQ522

1162042770_CHIRP8_2_20228_21_29PM.png.jpg.51d9786557ed57a02704876b48d2c8d2.jpg

15 hours ago, KAF6045 said:

I don't see any way to access firmware version. Note that SIM-RX does not appear in the programming software for the radio.

Yep! I spent some time in the Wouxun programming software and as 6045 said there is no mention of that option and no way to access firmware version. I'm assuming it is a firmware option that was added after I got my 935G in August of 2021. I have used the radio for a year without it so it isn't a big deal but I did send an email to the seller to see what they say. My inquiring mind wants to know.

Mystery solved. I recieved this from good folks at Buy Two Way Radios this morning:

"Yes, It’s a new setting that Wouxun added back in March, after the manual was printed. It allows you to turn off simultaneous RX on both areas. Unfortunately there isn’t an option at this time to do a firmware update. Wouxun has not told us if or when a firmware update could be available."

1 hour ago, TNRonin said:

I wonder if this is available for the GX.

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

As far as I can tell the KG-UV9GX (GMRS) is based on the UV9P (HAM) as is the UV9PX (HAM). Both of those radios refer back to the UV9P manual for some things. I cannot find a SIM-RX in any of the three manuals. There is a S-Mute option that will mute the alternate receiver during RX or TX or both on the main receiver. That sounds like it does almost the same thing. I don't know what the actually wording is for SIM-RX because it isn't in the manual.

That option appears, under the name SMUTESET, on the KG-935, with the same options (off, rx, tx, both).

So, no real clue in my GMRS-void area as to what SIM-RX really does... TDR toggles the dual/single "band" mode. The only option left, in my mind, is that SIM-RX leaves the unit in dual "band" display, but sets it to only operate on the "band" marked "main" (so the sub"band" never activates even if shown on the screen).

I now realize that I know nothing. It could be that the 935G and the radios based on the UV9P are both Wouxun but are speced out by two different companies. But that wouldn't explain the difference between SMUTESET and SIM-RX. Do the 935Gs that came out after March of this year have both SMUTESET and SIM-RX? Not that I really care, just curious.

18 minutes ago, WRHS218 said:

I now realize that I know nothing. It could be that the 935G and the radios based on the UV9P are both Wouxun but are speced out by two different companies. But that wouldn't explain the difference between SMUTESET and SIM-RX. Do the 935Gs that came out after March of this year have both SMUTESET and SIM-RX? Not that I really care, just curious.

Unless the shop had really old stock, my 935 is from last month. It has both in the menu.

As I implied, I don't have enough GMRS traffic in my area to be able to test (I suppose I could press-gang my relatives into using my other GMRS HTs, set for different channels, with the 935 configured with both channels showing in the display).

SMUTESET turns off the sub-band WHEN (based upon setting) one is receiving/transmitting/either on the main-band.

TDR appears to turn off the sub-band entirely AND removes it from the display.

SIM-RX -- hypothesis: may turn off the sub-band at all times, but leave it on the display. Wonder if it would show "busy"... {failed: at least my attempt with main band A, sub band B, different channels, and using a Midland unit set to the sub-band channel -- signal came through with no hindrance}

In all three cases the [BAND] button toggles which is the main vs sub band.

4 hours ago, KAF6045 said:

As I implied, I don't have enough GMRS traffic in my area to be able to test (I suppose I could press-gang my relatives into using my other GMRS HTs, set for different channels, with the 935 configured with both channels showing in the display).

I don't have much GMRS traffic where I am either. I have programmed local LEO and Fire frequencies and listen to them when things are happening like the last month with wildfires. Not complaining, love the radio.

11 hours ago, WRHS218 said:

I don't have much GMRS traffic where I am either. I have programmed local LEO and Fire frequencies and listen to them when things are happening like the last month with wildfires. Not complaining, love the radio.

Be glad you still have access to LEO... My entire state converted to one massive linked P25 Trunked system... ENCRYPTED for all useful law enforcement traffic (I have no interest in hearing about the latest misbehaving animal at the zoo; yes, even the zoo is part of the statewide system!).