We need more GMRS Repeaters Deployed

WRTZ231

I came from the largest linked network group (NGGMRS) to a ghost town in the middle of the country. Can’t even get anyone from the only existing GMRS club in the western portion of the state to respond. No CERT or REACT groups, either. Arkansas is pretty active, but not much in the Midwest. 
I’d have thought that it would be a growing interest in tornado country. Hardly any HAM, either. 
Anyone alive in Tulsa, OK area?

6 hours ago, Fernleaf said:

I came from the largest linked network group (NGGMRS) to a ghost town in the middle of the country. Can’t even get anyone from the only existing GMRS club in the western portion of the state to respond. No CERT or REACT groups, either. Arkansas is pretty active, but not much in the Midwest. 
I’d have thought that it would be a growing interest in tornado country. Hardly any HAM, either. 
Anyone alive in Tulsa, OK area?

The Oklahoma GMRS Facebook group has 470 members and seems somewhat active.  https://www.facebook.com/groups/338406913899977/?ref=share

Also, Repeaterbook lists two GMRS repeaters in Tulsa:

https://www.repeaterbook.com/gmrs/location_search.php?state_id=40&type=city&loc=Tulsa

Edited by Sshannon
Added link to Tulsa repeaters

2 hours ago, Fernleaf said:

Thank you for the reply. Not all of us are on Facebook or have a desire to join. Is there a website or contact instead for the Oklahoma group?

I absolutely understand, but many clubs now have a barebones website (thanks to WRTJ887 for posting the link) and use Facebook for their announcements and conversations. 
Hopefully you’ll have a great time with them. 

18 hours ago, Sshannon said:

I absolutely understand, but many clubs now have a barebones website (thanks to WRTJ887 for posting the link) and use Facebook for their announcements and conversations. 
Hopefully you’ll have a great time with them. 

Yup. I get it. My other group is on FB as well, but accommodated participants who weren’t signed up to the FB group.

Even so, my old group gave contact information so someone could find out how to join via email. The OK website has absolutely zero contact info except through their FB account.

Plus I think I’m outside their repeater range, so Zello would be an only option unless I’m in town. No info on that, either. 

Bit frustrating when everything is tied up behind an unreliable firewall like Facebook. 

Otherwise, I still can join my old group’s net through the internet. NGGMRS.org also has capacity to listen activity livestream. 

Maybe I’m just spoiled. ?

26 minutes ago, Fernleaf said:

Bit frustrating when everything is tied up behind an unreliable firewall like Facebook. 

You (and everyone) is welcome to join our National Net via Zello, every Thursday night at 7PM (Pacific).. No Facebook, no dues, no fees, no mandatory meetings.  See how here:  https://www.notarubicon.com/zello-gmrs-repeater/

Fernleaf, I am located about 20 minutes North of you if you are in down town T-town. Thanks to many awkward late night belly laughs and anxiety attacks from watching NOTARUBICON's youtube videos, I am now a GMRS guy as well!

OffRoaderX, I have been wondering for a while if you've actually been injured in any of your youtube videos as you fall away from the microphone/camera in many of your recordings :}

19 hours ago, WRTN596 said:

Fernleaf, I am located about 20 minutes North of you if you are in down town T-town. Thanks to many awkward late night belly laughs and anxiety attacks from watching NOTARUBICON's youtube videos, I am now a GMRS guy as well!

OffRoaderX, I have been wondering for a while if you've actually been injured in any of your youtube videos as you fall away from the microphone/camera in many of your recordings :}

Right there with you on the belly laughs!!!

Unfortunately, I’m in Bristow outside the repeater area. But I might check in with you when I’m up in Tulsa. Are you on a repeater up there? Or monitor on specific channels? 

I’m hoping to get a small repeater up for private/emergency use this year, via OffRoaderX concept of two KG-1000G radios. If there is traffic in the area (which is pretty dead right now), maybe look into handling a more public version down the road. Just dipping my pinky toe into the water. 

1 hour ago, Fernleaf said:

Right there with you on the belly laughs!!!

Unfortunately, I’m in Bristow outside the repeater area. But I might check in with you when I’m up in Tulsa. Are you on a repeater up there? Or monitor on specific channels? 

I’m hoping to get a small repeater up for private/emergency use this year, via OffRoaderX concept of two KG-1000G radios. If there is traffic in the area (which is pretty dead right now), maybe look into handling a more public version down the road. Just dipping my pinky toe into the water. 

You might want to review @OffRoaderXconclusions about using two KG1000 units. He has spoken about it here. I think he now uses a commercial repeater. 

10 hours ago, Sshannon said:

You might want to review @OffRoaderXconclusions about using two KG1000 units. He has spoken about it here. I think he now uses a commercial repeater. 

He does. And I would do the same if I decided to open one up for the community. But for personal use, it should be fine. Probably not the range I’d  like, but a good gateway to a bigger project down the road. 
I’l take a look at his feedback as well. Didn’t see anything on his channel other than the setup worked. Others didn’t like it. 
Something to look at for sue. Thank you!

Or just grab a RT97 for half the cost of the KG1000 setup....

KG1000 - $369.00 x 2

Duplexer - $150 (Fumie China Duplexer)

Various cable - N-PL259 (Radio to duplexer) - $25-50

Power Supply - $100....

Granted the RT97 is a high power repeater but 99% of the folks that will be putting up a repeater are doing it at home on a garage or house. The RT97 is a all in one box. Just program and turn on. Simplicity for many. And to be honest if you have a great location the repeater will do fine with portables. Just another option.

On 8/18/2022 at 12:09 PM, OffRoaderX said:

You (and everyone) is welcome to join our National Net via Zello, every Thursday night at 7PM (Pacific).. No Facebook, no dues, no fees, no mandatory meetings.  See how here:  https://www.notarubicon.com/zello-gmrs-repeater/

Heyo! I was able to find your group on Zello, but cloudfire refuses to let me have access to your site. It sends “Access Denied, error coe 1020. Send the following to the site owner: 73f6d855a8677c65. 
Yes, I’m on a VPN, but it’s bouncing out of the US -  even tried from California. No dice. 

On 8/21/2022 at 5:56 AM, gortex2 said:

Or just grab a RT97 for half the cost of the KG1000 setup....

KG1000 - $369.00 x 2

Duplexer - $150 (Fumie China Duplexer)

Various cable - N-PL259 (Radio to duplexer) - $25-50

Power Supply - $100....

Granted the RT97 is a high power repeater but 99% of the folks that will be putting up a repeater are doing it at home on a garage or house. The RT97 is a all in one box. Just program and turn on. Simplicity for many. And to be honest if you have a great location the repeater will do fine with portables. Just another option.

Thank you for the info. I actually ended up with three KG-1000G anyway, so I was going to repurpose two of them for a private repeater. 

Need to replace the fuse and wire for the hot end, though. It got accidentally crossed with the black and blew the fuse when removing from the car a while back. Anyone know of a company that supplies those smaller radio parts?

8 minutes ago, Fernleaf said:

Heyo! I was able to find your group on Zello, but cloudfire refuses to let me have access to your site. It sends “Access Denied, error coe 1020. Send the following to the site owner: 73f6d855a8677c65. 
Yes, I’m on a VPN, but it’s bouncing out of the US -  even tried from California. No dice. 

Turn off the VPN and give it a try.

Yup. That worked. I don’t like it off, so I’ll have to figure out a different way of securing the connection. 
Thank you for the quick reply!!

BTW, do you have a video on the new repeater setup? I heard you talk about a different setup than the two KG-1000G system, but didn’t see any more info on the one you are now using. 

Edited by Fernleaf
Added more content to reply.

36 minutes ago, Fernleaf said:

Need to replace the fuse and wire for the hot end, though. It got accidentally crossed with the black and blew the fuse when removing from the car a while back. Anyone know of a company that supplies those smaller radio parts?

Don't know about the fuse holder alone, but dx engineering has some options from the t-connector down, along with others.

https://www.dxengineering.com/search/part-type/dc-power-cable-assemblies?N=dc-power-cable-end-1%3At-style-2-pin

On 8/5/2022 at 5:39 AM, WRAM370 said:

Since the OP asked for opinions, I will offer up my opinion. 

I disagree with his statement that more GMRS repeaters are needed. In my opinion, GMRS is not a hobby, it is a service primarily intended for short-distance communications, to facilitate the activities of the licensee’s family. Since that intended purpose comes directly from the FCC’s definition of GMRS, I don’t see why we need more repeaters.

My opinion is that GMRS is not ham radio. It is not CB radio. But the high profile GMRS repeaters in my part of the world are used by people that already talk on CB, and on ham radio . The conversations are exactly the same, regardless of where they talk, so why do we need to waste precious bandwidth on GMRS for those conversations, when we already have other band allocations for that ?

For those that believe GMRS serves a function in civil emergencies, I would also direct you to amateur radio, specifically the ARES/RACES groups that provide those functions. Again, I believe we do not need to duplicate these functions across radio services. It is fine if a local neighborhood repeater such as mine could serve people in a time of need, but that is not it’s true purpose, and I don’t have lofty goals of making it that way. And most people within the couple of miles range of my repeater would not have access to repeater-capable radios, and likely only have FRS radios, so it would be of no use in that case.

My repeater covers maybe 4 miles…on a good day, and only with mobile radios (hey, GMRS stands for General Mobile Radio Service, not “sit in my easy chair with my walkie talkie and talk to someone 40 miles away via a repeater”). It serves the needs of my family for short distance communications. We do use Zello as a means to extend coverage, if necessary, but it is again only for the family…not for a guy in Michigan to ragchew with a guy in Florida, or to hold “nets”. This is exactly why the amateur radio service exists, and where these activities should take place.

A nearby GMRS repeater is connected to the MyGMRS network, and it simply transmits conversations of people not even within the state, all day long (not really all day, just exaggerating to make a point). A nearby ham repeater is connected to the America Link network, and transmits conversations of people not even within the state, all day long. What is point of having these broadcast stations, when local users are not using these repeaters ?

We do not need more repeaters for GMRS. We need fewer people that think GMRS is CB or amateur radio. 

1st..your relating CB & Ham radio even in the same sentence is ludicrous! CB was doomed from the get-go for many reasons. And Ham radio is for thoughts who want a hobby and learn the inter-workings of radio per sic. Most of use just want dependable, clear and static free commo…period!

So putting up repeaters to provide dependable service to cover larger areas/communities makes since. I, myself; want something…mobile, low wattage for family camping/fishing trips or shtf sinario. Just my $.02.

WRUE648

RicD

On 8/23/2022 at 5:02 PM, wayoverthere said:

Don't know about the fuse holder alone, but dx engineering has some options from the t-connector down, along with others.

https://www.dxengineering.com/search/part-type/dc-power-cable-assemblies?N=dc-power-cable-end-1%3At-style-2-pin

Thank you! I contacted them to see if they either had something that would work or steer me in the right direction. Also sent an email t buytwowayradio.com where I’d purchased the radios to see if they could give me a lead as well. 
Thank you for the inspiration to look further!

2 hours ago, Fernleaf said:

Thank you! I contacted them to see if they either had something that would work or steer me in the right direction. Also sent an email t buytwowayradio.com where I’d purchased the radios to see if they could give me a lead as well. 
Thank you for the inspiration to look further!

You bet!

Alternately, what about just losing the glass fuses and going to ATC fuses with something like this? The yaesu harness I got from DXE uses blade fuses rather than glass, btw.

https://www.autozone.com/starting-charging-and-miscellaneous-electrical/fuse-holder/p/bussmann-atc-fuse-holder/32415_0_0

Edit: just saw the same suggestion was made in the other thread

I like the idea.  I have been trying to help.

The area's I have homes are flooded with repeaters.  Multiple friends/acquaintances of mine, as well as several clubs, have put up so many repeaters in Northern VA, that there are 2 or 3 on every pair. 

I am still trying to get some more deployed.  I do have one up at my Virginia home that has about a 15 mile radius.  I am also looking at putting up several repeaters in a park in Schuylkill County PA and New London County CT on property that belongs to family and friends.
I know who you are talking about for the most part. Didn't know this area was so saturated. I am not talking about parrot repeaters and little home grown systems. Some of the stuff around here put well funded amateur setup to shame in the same respects they are at lmr commercial setup levels and locations. I use to be a big 2m repeater fan due to coverage. Shock more and more everyday with what gmrs can do.

I think part of the problem. Is that they need to be published and easier to find.

Finally, got the coveted list from no other then M.W. Now I want to cry. I thought this area was devoid of anything but react repeater. Which turn out are his, several of many repeaters!?

Do we have perfect coverage no. Still some holes. In his plans from what I get, aka remote recievers. Linking, in his wish list, technical problems, ie is etc.

I still firmly believe publishing and actual coverage areas are part of the problem.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, kidphc said:

I know who you are talking about for the most part. Didn't know this area was so saturated. I am not talking about parrot repeaters and little home grown systems. Some of the stuff around here put well funded amateur setup to shame in the same respects they are at lmr commercial setup levels and locations.

I didn't realize how much coverage was around here either.  I met David down in Warrenton, who introduced me to M.W., and M.W. introduced me to the other David in Ellicott City.  Opened up a whole new world.  One of the ones M.W. has, just northwest of Haymarket, covers from 95 to the mountains, Stafford/Fburg to Tyco/McLean and out to points north and west of Leesburg.  There are a few folks up in Annapolis and Glen Burnie Maryland with awesome locations for their base stations that can get into it, too.

I use to be a big 2m repeater fan due to coverage. Shock more and more everyday with what gmrs can do.

Same here.  Myself and some friends of mine were big time hooked on 2m repeaters prior to meeting M.W.  His systems have tremendous coverage that are only rivaled in the 2m segment by Bluemont, Rockville and (maybe) Warrenton. 

On the Warrenton machine, where there is no shadow, I can work that repeater (and the GMRS machine outside of Haymarket) from parts of WV and Southern PA along the 81 corridor.  However Warrenton is so far south, in a shadow, that it's tough for DC metro to reach it.

Bluemont has its limits as you center up on DC, with the same performance restrictions as the Warrenton system, along the i81.  And Rockville's links are regularly not working because of the voting system. 

All that made the GMRS repeaters the tool of choice for my family and friends.  Between Haymarket, Tyco and a couple of others, we can all chat from just about anywhere around the area.

I think part of the problem. Is that they need to be published and easier to find.

I agree.  I am not sure why the publishing is being withheld, but I am sure he has his reasons.  He 100% wants to serve the communities with the hardware.  Maybe he is trying to avoid saturation and turning into Ham Radio 2.0.  That's my best guess anyway.  One day, I may ask him.

Finally, got the coveted list from no other then M.W. Now I want to cry. I thought this area was devoid of anything but react repeater. Which turn out are his, several of many repeaters!?

Good deal.  I know the feeling.  BTW, unrelated... were you the one I heard chime in about how hard it is to pick between Swirlies V. Five Guys?  LOL

Do we have perfect coverage no. Still some holes. In his plans from what I get, aka remote recievers. Linking, in his wish list, technical problems, ie is etc.

I was talking to M.W. about that a few days ago.  I have a friend who owns a 300' commercial repeater in Ashburn, VA.  I am going to see if I can introduce the two of them to see if we can help get better coverage out past Fair Oaks, heading north and west.  The site owner can be very hard to get along with.  Especially when he provides free tower space to volunteer organizations.  Hopefully he will be respectful to M.  

I was talking to M.W. about that a few days ago.  I have a friend who owns a 300' commercial repeater in Ashburn, VA.  I am going to see if I can introduce the two of them to see if we can help get better coverage out past Fair Oaks, heading north and west.  The site owner can be very hard to get along with.  Especially when he provides free tower space to volunteer organizations.  Hopefully he will be respectful to M.  
The buddy in Annapolis and I talk on wheaton every night around 6. Keeps me company on my commute home. Roland2 is a bit worried about Roland1 (back in the hospital for complications after recovering form Covid).

I thought you were suppose to meet up with M.W. about bull run. /shrug.

Ashburn would be an incredible location. I hope this pans out.

The Baltimore guys are hosting a meet and greet. I imagine M.W. will be there and so will Roland (keeps reminding me about it). I am going to try to make it.

Gmrs meet up american legion post 109 butus md. 1:30-4:30

It wasn't me talking about shakes....lol

Maybe we can meet on air. Wheaton makes it to Annadale. My mobile to Wheaton not so much. So it will be tough since we are just a hair apart. Might be able to do it on 2m repeater. Gmrs is not as good setup mobile or base. Base in Rockville is a 20g (20w) using a n9tax slim jim converted to blade antenna mounted 2 stories up in the house. Ok, but nothing like the x200 another 10 feet up in the attic.

Sorry to all for the cryptic message. It is to respect the repeater owner. None of us want to get on his bad side. If you access any of the repeaters for a month you will understand.

×** if you want access pass us info privately. We will be more then happy to pass it on. He does check on you (license etc. And monitors the repeaters. Plus if you are an ass in the air we will tell him.

39 minutes ago, kidphc said:

The buddy in Annapolis and I talk on wheaton every night around 6. Keeps me company on my commute home. Roland2 is a bit worried about Roland1 (back in the hospital for complications after recovering form Covid).

I thought you were suppose to meet up with M.W. about bull run. /shrug.

Ashburn would be an incredible location. I hope this pans out.

The Baltimore guys are hosting a meet and greet. I imagine M.W. will be there and so will Roland (keeps reminding me about it). I am going to try to make it.

Gmrs meet up american legion post 109 butus md. 1:30-4:30

It wasn't me talking about shakes....lol

Maybe we can meet on air. Wheaton makes it to Annadale. My mobile to Wheaton not so much. So it will be tough since we are just a hair apart. Might be able to do it on 2m repeater. Gmrs is not as good setup mobile or base. Base in Rockville is a 20g (20w) using a n9tax slim jim converted to blade antenna mounted 2 stories up in the house. Ok, but nothing like the x200 another 10 feet up in the attic.

Sorry to all for the cryptic message. It is to respect the repeater owner. None of us want to get on his bad side. If you access any of the repeaters for a month you will understand.

×** if you want access pass us info privately. We will be more then happy to pass it on. He does check on you (license etc. And monitors the repeaters. Plus if you are an ass in the air we will tell him.

I didn't know about Roland being in the hospital. That stinks.

I ha e to run out for a few hours, but I'll shoot you a PM when I get back.