Wouxun KG-935G receiver front end.

aa7jc

• 1 year later...

Very interesting video. Thanks WRWE456. 

Well, if I understand him correctly, he had the radios separated by about 3ft for this testing. Yikes, that can make a difference on weak signals (any signal strength but you notice it on weak signals) due to a couple of things: a) RF propagation path changes by a lot over 3ft in paths with lots of reflections (inside a  house and/or urban environments) b) he didn't say whether he made sure that both radios were a distance away from RF noise sources such as computers, computer monitors or modern TVs. Any number of electronic devices can be spewing out RF causing receiver "defense". 

To his point that SOC (System On Chip as I understand it) being as good or maybe better (sensitivity) than Super Het, this could indeed be true. I looked up the one SOC chip that I could find and it's spec states -123dBm sensitivity at 12dB SINAD in 20KHz BW. This calculates to about a 3dB noise figure which is quite good. A Super Het receiver would have a hard time beating this by more than a dB, probably not any better in the real world. Also consider that the SOC technology is similar to that used in modern day cell phone chips where the RF functions are synthesized in silicone. Those work very well. No telling what SOC Wouxoun or any of the Chinese manufactures use, but it seems that it's entirely possible that they use good SOC chips. Having designed Super Het receivers in years gone by, I can say that it is possible to make an outstanding receiver in terms of sensitivity, adjacent channel, IM and blocking. But, a big but, it takes space and $$ to do so. As a GMRS radio manufacturer I'd look long and hard at the price of a good SOC compared to what it takes to make a good Super Het, and probably choose the good SOC in the end. Just IMHO.

I found that video pretty informative. I also own an Icom IC-T10 along with the KG935G. Both are very good radios even being SOC.

I know there is a difference when it comes to VHF compared to UHF. But I can use the IC-T10 inside my house and still be understandable by others when talking on the repeater 21.5 miles away. It is sometimes hit or miss with the KG935G inside the house. I can forget about getting into the 70cm repeater with an HT though. All three repeaters use the same tower. The 2m and 70cm antennas are 900 feet above the ground and the GMRS antennas are 400 feet above the ground - all of them are on the same tower.

12 hours ago, WRYZ926 said:

But I can use the IC-T10 inside my house and still be understandable by others when talking on the repeater 21.5 miles away. It is sometimes hit or miss with the KG935G inside the house.

Could just be the 500 ft difference it height of the antenna's causing that difference. That is one tall tower! Is it on flat ground or a hill?

5 minutes ago, WRWE456 said:

Could just be the 500 ft difference it height of the antenna's causing that difference. That is one tall tower! Is it on flat ground or a hill?

The area is a mixture of river/creek valleys, gentle rolling hills and flat farm ground. But I can get into the GMRS repeater at 400 feet with a HT better than I can get into the 70cm repeater at 900 feet.

Getting into the GMRS and 70cm repeaters in my vehicle with 50 watts radios is about the same, it depends on the terrain and trees. The thick rows of red cedar that grows along the roads here really messes with UHF signals.

21 minutes ago, WRYZ926 said:

The area is a mixture of river/creek valleys, gentle rolling hills and flat farm ground. But I can get into the GMRS repeater at 400 feet with a HT better than I can get into the 70cm repeater at 900 feet.

Interesting.

22 minutes ago, WRYZ926 said:

Getting into the GMRS and 70cm repeaters in my vehicle with 50 watts radios is about the same, it depends on the terrain and trees. The thick rows of red cedar that grows along the roads here really messes with UHF signals.

That is about what I would expect based on my experience also.

13 hours ago, WRUW493 said:

Well, if I understand him correctly, he had the radios separated by about 3ft for this testing.

He did say he moved the KG-S88G around and was able to get the repeater but just barley.