Thoughts on the baofeng BF-H6

WRUI917

I know it’s technically a ham radio, but am wondering if anyone has any experience with it.. is it better quality than the BF-H8/BF-9G? I have tried both of those and they seem to have some weird behaviors like being unable to tone scan.. and intermittently crappy reception that magically improves if you press the menu button. 

The intention would be to use it for GMRS primarily.. I can’t justify spending $150+ on an wouxon HT when I can get their compact 20w mobile product for like $190 (likely my next purchase) and prefer the more feature rich models. 

11 hours ago, WRUI917 said:

I can’t justify spending $150+ on an wouxon HT when I can get their compact 20w mobile product for like $190 (likely my next purchase) and prefer the more feature rich models. 

Have you looked at the $99-$109 20 watt mini-mobile Radioddity DB20-G a/k/a Anytone AT-779UV GMRS radio that opens to 2 meters, 70 cms and MURS?

Screen Shot 2022-09-03 at 12.52.22 PM.png

Good choice, although having played with the Retevis CPS software, it is not interchangeable with the Radioddity or Anytone CodePlug, so I generally do not recommend the Retevis version.

For Example, I have posted the Codeplug on the PAPA System for the Radioddity and/or Anytone versions.

Thanks for the feedback, it just arrived yesterday and I’m really impressed. The build quality and functionality is night and day from the other baofengs I mentioned.

I’m hitting a repeater from about 20 miles away through thick woods and suburbs with the help of a na- 771G and a little elevation with my office being on the second story of my home and my area being very flat (note the authentic 771G is outperforming the 15.6 inch 771 clone that came with it for GMRS when I compare the two).

I can believe this thing only cost $50. I have the UT72-G on my truck and it’s a lot better reception compared to using the 771G on mobile.

I have not done any tests on actual wattage or SWR but compared to the other Baofengs on the same antenna it’s shooting a stronger signal with clearer transmission. 

don’t sleep on this radio.. it’s not like other HTs.

only downside I’m seeing so far is that I don’t love the buttons (they seem a little firm, but will hopefully loosen up) and the battery (2200 mah) does seem to be consumed quickly when transmitting. That said I don’t have a good frame of reference compared to other HTs (seems like you would get about 3-5hrs transmitting on high) but keep in mind at this price you get two batteries. 

Note: I’m using the  chirp like programming software from the baofeng.co.uk site made for the exact model and it works really well with the added benefit of teaching you Chinese through the menus -- I now know the symbols for “get phone data” and “write to phone” :)

Yes sir, and man I’m really impressed with it! Not like the other baofengs quality is a lot better and the range I’m getting Is notably better than what I was getting from the H8 and 9G models for the same location with the same Nagoya 771g.

the value of this thing for $50 with programming cables, spare battery and accessories is Insane.

• 3 months later...

Just wanted to chime in and say that the tone scanning feature is super cool but only works in VFO mode. Same thing with modifying tone frequencies and splits. A little annoying to have to switch back to VFO and change settings then resave to memory, but other than that it is very nice radio.

• 1 year later...
On 9/3/2022 at 4:05 AM, WRUI917 said:

I know it’s technically a ham radio, but am wondering if anyone has any experience with it.. is it better quality than the BF-H8/BF-9G? I have tried both of those and they seem to have some weird behaviors like being unable to tone scan.. and intermittently crappy reception that magically improves if you press the menu button. 

The intention would be to use it for GMRS primarily.. I can’t justify spending $150+ on an wouxon HT when I can get their compact 20w mobile product for like $190 (likely my next purchase) and prefer the more feature rich models. 

This was my first high power ht. The only one I like better is the H8.