Retevis RA25 setup with Repeater and Tones

back4more70

Question

Hi all, I am trying to setup my Retevis RA25 to add a hypothetical repeater with tones via the Retevis software (as a learning exercise).  In my scenario, my fake repeater has this info:

Name: TEST575, Frequency In: 462.575, Frequency Out: 467.575 (standard offset), Input Tone: 200DPL, Output Tone: 100DPL

My confusion is twofold:

1. Is the Input Tone the CTCSS/DCS Encode, and the Output Tone is the CTCSS/DCS Decode?
  2. For a tone of 200DPL, do I use D200I or D200N?

I included a screenshot of two different settings, not sure which would work.  Thanks all.935632065_RA25test.thumb.jpg.ad870ebbfa161d9b1e744646c0c5cf06.jpg

7 answers to this question

39 minutes ago, back4more70 said:

My confusion is twofold:

1. Is the Input Tone the CTCSS/DCS Encode, and the Output Tone is the CTCSS/DCS Decode?
  2. For a tone of 200DPL, do I use D200I or D200N?

I included a screenshot of two different settings, not sure which would work.  Thanks all.935632065_RA25test.thumb.jpg.ad870ebbfa161d9b1e744646c0c5cf06.jpg

Encode is your input tone (encoding so the repeater recognizes your signal), decode is the output.

For DPL, ive seen it stated that polarity is assumed (N)ormal, unless otherwise stated as (I)nverted.

40 minutes ago, BoxCar said:

The frequencies also need to be reversed on the repeater. A repeater listens on the high frequency and transmits on the lower frequency. Your radio is programmed High out, Low in; just the opposite of the repeater.

It was a trick question! ?

He asked it a bit obtusely, but showed it correctly in his CPS codeplug example.

For the OP, Freq In and Freq Out refers to the actual reception/transmission of his Ra-25.

A wise man once said: "Sometimes an exact answer is not enough..."

I recommend no receive tone be set; unless you are receiving much interference from others using that frequency.

There is actually a 2 meter repeater above Santa Barbara that I have confirmed with the SysOps that the Radioddity DB-20G and the Anytone AT-779UV have a glitch on their CTCSS tone and they will not receive this repeater when a receiver tone is set.  I did not have the ability to test the Ra-25.

But in any event, I like to have open reception and not have someone filtered out, especially as I travel.

55 minutes ago, MichaelLAX said:

I recommend no receive tone be set; unless you are receiving much interference from others using that frequency.

There is actually a 2 meter repeater above Santa Barbara that I have confirmed with the SysOps that the Radioddity DB-20G and the Anytone AT-779UV have a glitch on their CTCSS tone and they will not receive this repeater when a receiver tone is set.  I did not have the ability to test the Ra-25.

But in any event, I like to have open reception and not have someone filtered out, especially as I travel.

Good info on that repeater.  Up here, i do have to use receive tones on .575, as there's 2 repeaters in range, plus a hotel using bubble packs for their housekeeping staff.