Why no state issued GMRS call sign license plates?

Lscott

10 hours ago, WRQC527 said:

Here in California, amateur radio plates (at least the ones I've seen and had over the years) don't have any identifying markings that indicate amateur radio, other than the distinctive call sign. They look like any other vanity plate. In fact, there are tales (probably exaggerated) of some law enforcement officers who don't know the designation amateur radio plates are under running them as normal plates and coming up with no results, resulting in traffic stops. It hasn't happened to me.

That's sort of strange. Any Ham call plates I've seen from other states were rather distinctive. 

So in California they have to run the call sign plate through the system differently from other types? That seems weird the system can't figure it out on it's own. I would suspect people are telling BS stories.

20 minutes ago, Lscott said:

That's sort of strange. Any Ham call plates I've seen from other states were rather distinctive. 

So in California they have to run the call sign plate through the system differently from other types? That seems weird the system can't figure it out on it's own. I would suspect people are telling BS stories.

I don't know. I've heard of stories where Texas ran an out of state plate (MN I think) and ran it incorrectly, and it came back to a guy with warrants for armed robbery. Of course, there was a small number prefix on the plate that wasn't used when they ran it, and after a felony stop and some checking everyone laughed and went on their separate ways. Seeing some other things on youtube, CA not running their own vanity/ham plates correctly isn't that far fetched. 

27 minutes ago, tweiss3 said:

I don't know. I've heard of stories where Texas ran an out of state plate (MN I think) and ran it incorrectly, and it came back to a guy with warrants for armed robbery. Of course, there was a small number prefix on the plate that wasn't used when they ran it, and after a felony stop and some checking everyone laughed and went on their separate ways. Seeing some other things on youtube, CA not running their own vanity/ham plates correctly isn't that far fetched. 

I would have though laying on the ground face down, hand cuffed and guns pointed at my head wouldn't have been all that funny given how some cops are trigger happy. If it was me I'd be pissed at their screw-up.

18 hours ago, WRQC527 said:

In fact, there are tales (probably exaggerated) of some law enforcement officers who don't know the designation amateur radio plates are under running them as normal plates and coming up with no results, resulting in traffic stops. It hasn't happened to me.

Pure urban myth:

My old California vanity plate, W7ML, is simply that:

If the CHP runs "W-7-M-L" they got me; nobody else can order that as a Vanity plate.

2 hours ago, MichaelLAX said:

Pure urban myth:

My old California vanity plate, W7ML, is simply that:

If the CHP runs "W-7-M-L" they got me; nobody else can order that as a Vanity plate.

I'll be sure to explain to my friend that it was only pure urban myth when he got pulled over because his ham radio license plate returned nothing until he explained to the cop that he needed to change the vehicle type code to "H". Vanity plates have a  vehicle type code "A" like every other standard-issue passenger car plate, which is generally the default. California ham radio plates are not vanity plates, they're ham radio plates. Thanks for the heads-up though. Good information.

7 hours ago, WRQC527 said:

I'll be sure to explain to my friend that it was only pure urban myth when he got pulled over because his ham radio license plate returned nothing until he explained to the cop that he needed to change the vehicle type code to "H". Vanity plates have a  vehicle type code "A" like every other standard-issue passenger car plate, which is generally the default. California ham radio plates are not vanity plates, they're ham radio plates. Thanks for the heads-up though. Good information.

I was speaking about California's implementation of Ham Plates/Vanity plates:

On 10/20/2022 at 7:47 PM, WRQC527 said:

Here in California, amateur radio plates (at least the ones I've seen and had over the years) don't have any identifying markings that indicate amateur radio, other than the distinctive call sign. They look like any other vanity plate. In fact, there are tales (probably exaggerated) of some law enforcement officers who don't know the designation amateur radio plates are under running them as normal plates and coming up with no results, resulting in traffic stops. It hasn't happened to me.

Was your friend pulled over in California; I doubt it.

Note the bolded statements in your quote...

9 hours ago, MichaelLAX said:

Was your friend pulled over in California; I doubt it.

Note the bolded statements in your quote...

"Was your friend pulled over in California; I doubt it."

Yes, he was.

"Note the bolded statements in your quote..."

I know what I wrote. It was well-thought-out, well-written, and to the point, and I meant every word.

6 hours ago, WRQC527 said:

I know what I wrote. It was well-thought-out, well-written, and to the point, and I meant every word.

On 10/20/2022 at 7:47 PM, WRQC527 said:

In fact, there are tales (probably exaggerated)...

In that case: we are both in agreement! 

1 hour ago, MichaelLAX said:

In that case: we are both in agreement! 

Mayyyyybe a little. I hesitate to say "in agreement", but to put it in terms of Venn diagrams, the MichaelLAX circle and the WRQC527 circle are perhaps touching. Exaggerated doesn't mean they didn't happen, just not to the extent that people claim they did. I only know of one case that actually happened. I've heard of many dubious cases, because they're "documented" on the internet by "reliable" sources. I actually think it would be pretty comical to get pulled over for that reason. 

1 hour ago, WRQC527 said:

I actually think it would be pretty comical to get pulled over for that reason. 

It might be comical but it's an indication the local police are not as well trained as one would assume. Something as basic and routine as running plates and knowing the format for private, commercial, truck etc. should be number one on the list of skills and proficiency required.

5 hours ago, WRQC527 said:

Mayyyyybe a little. I hesitate to say "in agreement", but to put it in terms of Venn diagrams, the MichaelLAX circle and the WRQC527 circle are perhaps touching. Exaggerated doesn't mean they didn't happen, just not to the extent that people claim they did. I only know of one case that actually happened. I've heard of many dubious cases, because they're "documented" on the internet by "reliable" sources. I actually think it would be pretty comical to get pulled over for that reason. 

When I quote you ("In fact, there are tales [probably exaggerated]") and then I say "we are both in agreement," you cannot question my after the fact agreement with your quote.  Too late, sorry!

And there you go again, making statements (see bolded text) that I also agree with!

As to your statement: "I only know of one case that actually happened;" because you were there?

11 hours ago, Lscott said:

It might be comical but it's an indication the local police are not as well trained as one would assume. Something as basic and routine as running plates and knowing the format for private, commercial, truck etc. should be number one on the list of skills and proficiency required.

Absolutely. The good thing is that from what I can see, it rarely happens. I hear more of my ham friends worrying about "what if the cops don't recognize my plates as ham radio plates and pull me over" than I do actual stories of people getting pulled over for it. Of the dozen or so friends of mine with actual ham plates, (not vanity plates with their call sign, there is a difference), only one had an issue.

18 minutes ago, WRQC527 said:

Absolutely. The good thing is that from what I can see, it rarely happens. I hear more of my ham friends worrying about "what if the cops don't recognize my plates as ham radio plates and pull me over" than I do actual stories of people getting pulled over for it. Of the dozen or so friends of mine with actual ham plates, (not vanity plates with their call sign, there is a difference), only one had an issue.

One other issue is cops having a problem with "scanners" in vehicles. Some Hams make it a standard practice to turn off their mobile radio if they get pulled over. If the cop sees your radio "scanning" they automatically assume it's a "scanner" not a two-way radio. In some states scanners are prohibited. Having your Ham rig scanning may get you a ticket. In some very rare cases the radio was confiscated requiring a trip to traffic court to get it back. The cops in general have no clue about the exceptions so you'll find Hams that keep a copy of the local/state motor vehicle code with the specific exceptions for Hams in the glove-box.

Just to confound matters -- the Peoples Republic of California used to also issue CB plates (up until 1983)

Amateur plates fall into the "Special License Plate" category -- not generic Vanity plate (which are ordered on the same page as regular sequential plates) -- Special includes historic vehicle, disabled/veterans, "horseless carriage" (either manufactured before 1922, or 16+ cylinders manufactured before 1965), Historical (manufactured before 1922, or at least 25 years old and of historical value), etc.

CB plates were easy as they were Kxx9999 (the site implies also a Kxxx9999 but I'd never seen or heard one of that format). THAT would have been the opening for GMRS plates... Back when GMRS licenses followed the same pattern (reference my call), but with the influx of Wxxx999 formats, I suspect the PRCA wouldn't have a reserved block of  plates available.

It's also interesting to note that some plates that fall into the California "Special License Plate" category take an inordinate amount of time to process. Mine took 9 months, as well as several phone calls. If you're going to order them, do it right after you renew your tags so you have a full year to wait. If anyone really wants their GMRS license on their plates, maybe try getting it as a normal vanity plate.

2 hours ago, WRQC527 said:

If anyone really wants their GMRS license on their plates, maybe try getting it as a normal vanity plate.

That's a pretty dangerous suggestion:

So I could acquire WRQC527 if I want it?!?

This is one of your suggestions, that I clearly do NOT agree with!