Why no state issued GMRS call sign license plates?

Lscott

Since, the Tech Class License test questions and answers are now public for future HAMs to memorize, is this the reason why there are no more in person classes to learn everything that you need to know in order to take the HAM test? If no, then why did those classes go by the wayside?

20 minutes ago, nokones said:

Since, the Tech Class License test questions and answers are now public for future HAMs to memorize, is this the reason why there are no more in person classes to learn everything that you need to know in order to take the HAM test? If no, then why did those classes go by the wayside?

They haven't gone by the wayside. But they're probably circling the drain. Personally, with all the information on YouTube University and about a million other free internet sources, I think an in-person class seems silly, especially if you have to pay for it. I studied on my own and passed my tests with no in-person classes. The only in-person stuff was the tests.

11 hours ago, WRQC527 said:

They haven't gone by the wayside. But they're probably circling the drain. Personally, with all the information on YouTube University and about a million other free internet sources, I think an in-person class seems silly, especially if you have to pay for it. I studied on my own and passed my tests with no in-person classes. The only in-person stuff was the tests.

What did you study on your own? Did you study the actual aspects of radio theories and practices to be an entry-level Amateur Radio Operator, what about the operation of the equipment and test instruments,  systems and networks, rules and regulations, and ethics, or did you just study to memorize the answers to the potential exam questions?

Wouldn't a person benefit and learn more from an in-person class with inter-action with other class attendees and have hands-on exercises and participate with class discussions? I guess that type of learning is no longer available these days and people just don't want to inter-act with others and would rather stay home watch a video and could care less on the possibility of learning a lot more on the subject than watching a video.

13 minutes ago, nokones said:

What did you study on your own?

The volume of what I studied to pass my tests and get my amateur radio license, be it online, printed, and from in-person talks with "Elmers", is more than I could ever type here. 

36 minutes ago, nokones said:

What did you study on your own? Did you study the actual aspects of radio theories and practices to be an entry-level Amateur Radio Operator, what about the operation of the equipment and test instruments,  systems and networks, rules and regulations, and ethics, or did you just study to memorize the answers to the potential exam questions?

Wouldn't a person benefit and learn more from an in-person class with inter-action with other class attendees and have hands-on exercises and participate with class discussions? I guess that type of learning is no longer available these days and people just don't want to inter-act with others and would rather stay home watch a video and could care less on the possibility of learning a lot more on the subject than watching a video.

Good points. Most Hams are "appliance operators" these days. 

Still the value is learning the rules. At least memorizing them is about all you can do so that part isn't any different. As for the rest, well, I guess experience is the real teacher. Maybe then the rest of it might start to make some sense.

1 minute ago, Lscott said:

Most Hams are "appliance operators" these days. 

That might be true for some of the technician class hams, but most of the people I know who progress to General (and all of the ones who progress to Amateur Extra) work hard at understanding how everything works, propagation, etc.

5 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

That might be true for some of the technician class hams, but most of the people I know who progress to General (and all of the ones who progress to Amateur Extra) work hard at understanding how everything works, propagation, etc.

Good. I know a few who don't, and they are Extra's too. Sad.

Just now, Lscott said:

Good. I know a few who don't, and they are Extra's too. Sad.

Yeah, nothing is ever perfect, but as a relatively new ham I’ve been more impressed than I feared after hearing the negative comments.