TK-8180 not powering on (speaker makes slight popping sound when powering on & off).

WRMS528

Question

Radio is new to me from an, "as is auction" (cant return).  Speaker makes slight popping sound when powering on & off, no sound otherwise,  screen not displaying anything, I tried transmitting with a meter on the radio & not transmitting either.  my power supply is good at 13.8  volts.  pressing power button doesn't do anything.  Radio looks like new. 

I tried searching this forum, & could not find this topic. 

Any ideas on what I could try ?

thanks , WRMS528

7 answers to this question

Are there any lights that light up to indicate power?  I assume you checked the fuses in the power cable and that the power cable is connected correctly polarity wise. Also, there is an internal fuse (page 19 of the service manual), password protection, and there’s an “ignition sense” option that turns on the radio when it senses that your car is started.  Good luck.

Here’s the operator manual: 1000010739

Here’s the service manual (you’ll have to do the whole Captcha thing): tk8180.pdf?8c14223c47eb7ec27c68e42b47683

Sshannon, no lights, no notthing, except the speaker pops softly when radio receives power & when power is dropped.  13.8 V is getting to the terminals were the power cord attaches to the circuit board.  I did not see the fuse , so I guess its on the under side of the cercuit board, & I was trying not to take the radio that faqr apart if I did not have to. According to the schematic the fuse is very close to where the power first comes into the radio.  So, since the speaker is getting power, I thought it was not likely the fuse.    I also put 13.8 v to the yellow ignition sense wire & that did not change any thing.  

Aside from putting 13.8 to the yellow wire you also have to provide the same 13.8 volts to the red wire.

Have you taken the front faceplate off and (gently) checked the ribbon cable that connects the faceplate to the radio body? The reason I ask is that one of the TK-8180 radios I purchased was listed as non working. Which it was until I checked the ribbon cable and found it wasn't inserted fully into the body. I surmised that someone previously had the KRK-10 remote kit in use and when converting the radio back, they did not fully insert the ribbon cable back in.

Just a thought. Good luck!!

Riktar,  I did have the power source attached, plus added power to the yellow wire.  I did take radio apart & wiggled the ribbon to see if I could locate a short.  I did not check that it was plugged in securely at both ends.  I will chack that the next time I tak it apart.  Thanks WRMS528