BAOFENG UV82HP NOT TRANSMITTING

WRNQ656

Question

LOOKING FOR SOME HELP...

I RECENTLY PURCHASED A BTECH GMR2 AND HAD TO SEND IT BACK TWICE FOR NO RECEIVE...THEN I ASKED FOR A BAOFENG UV82HP...GOT IT IN AND I CANNOT GET IT TO TRANSMIT IN SIMPLEX OR TO A REPEATER...I ASKED TO SEND IT BACK...AND THEY TOLD ME THAT IT TESTED FINE...AND IT WAS USER ERROR...I HAVE READ THE MANUAL...CHECKED THE PROGRAMMING..ALL I CAN GET IT TO DO IT BEEP...WONT TRANSMIT AT ALL...I HAVE WATCHED SOME VIDEOS ON YOUTUBE ABOUT IT NEEDING TO BE RESET...TRIED THAT BUT UNIT DOESNT RESPOND LIKE THE VIDEO...I AM AT A LOSS BECAUSE I GET NOTHING...SIMPLEX OR REPEATER...

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG...ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED

THANKS

BRIAN

WRNQ656

KI5BGH

14 answers to this question

I REALIZE THIS...I HAVE TRIED HAM FREQUENCIES AS WELL...I AM BOTH HAM AND GMRS...WAS JUST TRYING TO SEE IF I WAS DOING SOMETHING WRONG ON MY END...

I HAVE ALSO HAD THE BTECH GMRS2..AND IT WOULD NOT RECEIVE...SENT IT BACK AND GOT A 2ND ONE...WOULDNT RECEIVE EITHER...THEN THEY SENT ME THIS UV82HP...IT WONT TRANSMIT...I HAVE  GM30..IT WORKS JUST FINE.

CANT SEEM TO GET THE UV82HP TO TRANSMIT ON ANY FREQUENCY...IT RECEIVES JUST FINE...

THANKS

As mentioned, the UV82HP is Amateur 2m/70cm. Per the manual it receives broadcast FM, and transmit/receive on 2m and US 70cm.

Specification Value
Frequency Range (MHz) 65-108 (Rx only)
144-148 (Rx/Tx)
420-450 (Rx/Tx)

" BTECH GMR2" -> do you mean GMRS-V2? Other than mine not producing much more power than the 2W V1 version, have had no problems with receive.

Could have been a matter of having a CTCSS tone specified that did not match anything you were tuned to.

BTW: messages in all CAPS is traditionally seen as someone SHOUTING. Please turn off the caps lock key.

the uv82hp...according to settings...the display changes color when receiving...transmitting...and on standby...the color never changes...never any kerchunks when trying to hit a repeater...but if you look on youtube...i see others have had same problem...but they say to reset radio by holding ptt...monitor...# key and turning on at same time...and display says factory...mine never does...

i feel like i am just missing something...some setting...something...just looking to see if anyone else has this radio and had a similar problem

any help is appreciated...

Brian

WRNQ656

KI5BGH

Sounds a bit like a broken PTT... A compatible speaker/mic could determine if it is the actual PTT switch, or something later in the chain -- but I wouldn't go to the effort of buying a speaker/mic just for testing.

As for display color change -- have you checked the colors defined in the menu system? If it is similar to my BTech units, there are three menu entries on which to set idle/Tx/Rx colors.

yes...i have a speaker/mic...and still nothing ...i also have a baofeng uv5rx3 and it works as it should...with the colors on transmit, receive, and standby...so they are set right...

it just baffles me...as i have seen videos of them doing a reset...by holding ptt...monitor...and # key and turning on...and it says factory in display...but mine just turns on...

and like i said...i reached out to support...and they told me they checked out the radio and it works fine...that its user error...but by my accounts i have done everything right as far as programming...i have programmed by chirp...and by manual key in...and no transmit...i have even seen where the crack open the radio and do one solder joint to fix a transmit problem...i havent done that yet...but just may

just frustrating...

In order to program a memory, (if that's what you're trying to do), the A/B selection needs to be set on A. Also, since the UV-82HP has a goofy dual PTT, you need to be sure you're on the right one when you transmit. Menu items 29, 30 and 31 are used to set the display color for standby, receive and transmit. If they are all the same, the display will not change color on transmit or receive. Make sure you have menu item 25 (SFT D) set to OFF when using simplex. Make sure it is set to + or - when using a repeater. Most (if not all) GMRS repeaters have a + offset. Make sure menu item 26 is set for the correct offset. Most (if not all) GMRS repeaters have a 500 khz offset. Make sure menu item 13 (T-CTCS) is set to the CTCSS tone for the repeater you are accessing. For simplex, select OFF. For menu item 11 (R-CTCS), select OFF for simplex and repeaters unless you have some need for it. Most people don't. The chances of you receiving multiple defective radios is low. It is also possible that newer UV82HP radios are restricted to amateur radio bands. I can't say for sure, because mine are older and unrestricted. Good luck.

I have 3 of the 82's and they all work just fine.  We use them on CH22 simplex on trail rides out in the woods, and from my living room, I can hit a repeater that is 6 miles away as the crow files.

I'll bet the PTT isn't working.  Do you have a hand mic that you can plug in?  Or set VOX to on and try that?

22 hours ago, WRQC527 said:

Most (if not all) GMRS repeaters have a + offset. Make sure menu item 26 is set for the correct offset. Most (if not all) GMRS repeaters have a 500 khz offset. Make sure menu

ALL have a + offset -- the FCC defined the 467.xxxMHz block as solely for repeater inputs. Simplex and repeater outputs are on 462.xxxMHz (ignoring the former FRS only interstitials, which attempt to squeeze between the repeater inputs).

ALL hava a 5MHZ offset.

15 hours ago, KAF6045 said:

ALL have a + offset -- the FCC defined the 467.xxxMHz block as solely for repeater inputs. Simplex and repeater outputs are on 462.xxxMHz (ignoring the former FRS only interstitials, which attempt to squeeze between the repeater inputs).

ALL hava a 5MHZ offset.

You're probably right, hence the "some,(if not all)" qualifier, bot since I heven't seen every repeater, I can't say for sure if there's not someone out there with some goofy homemade repeater made from a couple of Baofengs with a non-standard offset. I meant 5000 khz, or 5 mhz, thanks for noticing. I'll take the correction on that.