GMRS NOOB

WRUZ733

Question

WRUZ733

Hey all.  Completely new to GMRS.  Just got the MXT275 w 6Db antenna; Vehicle Mounted.

I have been hearing incredibly clear traffic on 15rp, but i do not believe my settings are correct to TX for a successful contact.  I have went through my user manual to try and understand the CTCSS codes or any other possible options i would need to adjust.  It's my understanding (although potentially wrong) that the pre programmed repeater channels pre determine the freq. so im thinking its privacy codes?  Anyway, any help is greatly appreciated.  I know this is a "world" of very experienced folks and im just looking for a little mentorship

WRUZ733 (Mike)

6 answers to this question

16 minutes ago, WRUZ733 said:

WRUZ733

Hey all.  Completely new to GMRS.  Just got the MXT275 w 6Db antenna; Vehicle Mounted.

I have been hearing incredibly clear traffic on 15rp, but i do not believe my settings are correct to TX for a successful contact.  I have went through my user manual to try and understand the CTCSS codes or any other possible options i would need to adjust.  It's my understanding (although potentially wrong) that the pre programmed repeater channels pre determine the freq. so im thinking its privacy codes?  Anyway, any help is greatly appreciated.  I know this is a "world" of very experienced folks and im just looking for a little mentorship

WRUZ733 (Mike)

You are correct (in my opinion.) The frequency is correct or you wouldn’t hear it. The radio you have will automatically set the right transmit frequency. 
So you just need to set the transmit tone in order to get into the repeater. 
I would leave the tone turned off for the receiver, at least at first. That means you’ll receive everything transmitted on that frequency. 

19 hours ago, WRUZ733 said:

WRUZ733

WRUZ733 (Mike)

I don't know anything about the Midland MXT275. However, I guess it was wrong to assume that radio couldn't do split tones or leave receive off. I still waiting for ICOM, KENWOOD, MOTOROLA AND VERTEX STANDARD to unvail their GMRS Radios. Don't get me wrong, Midland has a great history with two way radios, but I like using Motorolas.

2 hours ago, Adamdaj said:

I don't know anything about the Midland MXT275. However, I guess it was wrong to assume that radio couldn't do split tones or leave receive off. I still waiting for ICOM, KENWOOD, MOTOROLA AND VERTEX STANDARD to unvail their GMRS Radios. Don't get me wrong, Midland has a great history with two way radios, but I like using Motorolas.

This was a concern of mine as well. I feel like it can certainly perform this function however it’s just not black and white (obvious to me)

7 hours ago, Adamdaj said:

I'm still waiting for ICOM, KENWOOD, MOTOROLA AND VERTEX STANDARD to unveil their GMRS Radios.

Icom used to have the F21GM h-t, I forgot when they discontinued it

Now Icom is offering two new MURS h-t's

I'm hoping that they get back into GMRS with a new h-t [I'd love to see a GMRS mobile from Icom also]