Fixed station - what does that mean to FCC?

UncleYoda

18 hours ago, Sshannon said:

Fixed Stations do not have repeater privileges; they may only connect with other Fixed Stations (that’s established in the definition https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-47/section-95.303)

Probably the chief benefit of being a fixed station over a base station is the access to the less cluttered 467 MHz channels.

But you dug your own hole there.  GMRS certified radios (as far as I'm aware) only allow those frequencies to be used on the repeater (duplex) channels.  Maybe there is a special type of radio for fixed stations that does simplex, or uses duplex without a repeater (one station being reversed).  And this same clause regarding channels (frequencies) is the one that omits base stations, which is why some users claim their base operation is as a fixed station.  So, saying fixed stations can use those frequencies but not use repeaters changes the whole interpretation of what is being stated there in the regs.  But of course you don't care about intent so ....  You know, if none of us care about intent of the wording, there is nowhere it specifically says base stations can't use repeaters either.

14 hours ago, marcspaz said:

No need to be an ass about it.  ...

But, hey... by all means... knock yourself out. 

To me, you're being the ass by telling us what we can talk about.  The discussion matches the thread topic - if you ain't interested, stay out of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

44 minutes ago, UncleYoda said:

But you dug your own hole there.  GMRS certified radios (as far as I'm aware) only allow those frequencies to be used on the repeater (duplex) channels.  Maybe there is a special type of radio for fixed stations that does simplex, or uses duplex without a repeater (one station being reversed).  And this same clause regarding channels (frequencies) is the one that omits base stations, which is why some users claim their base operation is as a fixed station.  So, saying fixed stations can use those frequencies but not use repeaters changes the whole interpretation of what is being stated there in the regs.  But of course you don't care about intent so ....  You know, if none of us care about intent of the wording, there is nowhere it specifically says base stations can't use repeaters either.

I have two radios that can be configured to transmit and receive on the 467 main channels.  One is a Part 90 certified (an Alinco) and the other is Part 95E (Radioddity DB20G), so that’s not a problem.  Even if it were, that would have been a technical problem, not to be confused with regulations.

As Marc said, the regulations are very clear.  

* Fixed Stations may transmit on the 467 MHz Main frequencies.

* Fixed Stations may only communicate to other Fixed Stations (which may be singular or plural), which means they may not communicate through repeaters.

* Fixed Stations may transmit only on either the 462 MHz Main channels or the 467 MHz Main channels.  Therefore, in order to receive signals from a Fixed Station, a Fixed Station must be able to receive on either the 462 MHz Main channels or the 467 MHz Main channels.  Enough portable GMRS radios have been made into repeaters that apparently they are able to receive on 467, so it’s not quite the hole you think. Therefore, Fixed Stations may operate in either simplex or duplex.

* Fixed Stations are defined to be in a fixed location.  (That is not affected by what the radio was marketed as, as long as it’s compliant with Part 95E certification.)

* Fixed Stations are required not to transmit greater than 15 watts power output.

Your statement that I don’t care about intent completely mischaracterizes what I said.  The regulations do not specify an intent and I’m just not going to go into analysis paralysis about what the FCC might have meant with an unspecified intent or whether they even had such an intent.

We only have the general Personal Radio Service definitions and regulations and Part 95E definitions regulations to work with.  

Past regulations that no longer exist are meaningless.

Regulations or definitions for other services are meaningless.

Guessed at or imaginary intentions are meaningless.

For GMRS Fixed Stations, the FCC created the definition and established limits around it.  We simply need to work within the limits in order to be compliant. 

2 hours ago, UncleYoda said:

To me, you're being the ass by telling us what we can talk about.  The discussion matches the thread topic - if you ain't interested, stay out of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not sure where you read that I was trying to tell anyone what they can talk about.  I said I was having trouble understanding why the conversation about the FCC rule being vague was still continuing, when they are actually very clearly defined... and then I provided and example/explanation of my opinion.

I didn't say anything about anyone else, but rather confusion or lack of understanding on my part... but you're right... I don't know what I was thinking. I forgot you're the only one allowed to have an opinion. Thanks for the reminder. 

1 hour ago, UncleYoda said:

So, saying fixed stations can use those frequencies but not use repeaters changes the whole interpretation of what is being stated there in the regs.

Nope. No it doesn’t. 

1 hour ago, UncleYoda said:

But of course you don't care about intent so ....

Here we see the baby yoda being an ass. Even if this were true it has nothing to do with what the FCC regulations say. Telling people what they care about, WTF over. 

Seems very clear to me.

(c) 467 MHz main channels. Only mobile, hand-held portable, control and fixed stations may transmit on these 8 channels. Mobile, hand-held portable and control stations may transmit on these channels only when communicating through a repeater station or making brief test transmissions in accordance with § 95.319(c). The channel center frequencies are: 467.5500, 467.5750, 467.6000, 467.6250, 467.6500, 467.6750, 467.7000, and 467.7250 MHz.

end of story.