Rep. Bill Johnson Introduces Bill to Eliminate Private Land Use Restrictions on Amateur Radio

WRUS537

This is a serious political football that can cost votes.

People outside of Ham Radio typically don't want to see antenna towers and big HF antenna's all over the place.  And people that support ham's installing towers don't get votes from those that feel it's an issue to have their view blocked.  Now I don't see commercials of huge towers dropped in the middle of some mountain view blocking the vistas with aluminum.  But it's a possibility. 

This is something that has gone on for years.  And the truth is the living in an HOA community is a poor choice if you have any interest in privacy, property rights, or being involved with radio communications as a hobby.  And before anyone pipes up and starts talking about cost, HOA communities are NOT the other side of the tracks shit holes with low property values.  And the HOA is the reason for that.  HOA communities are expensive between the cost of property and HOA fee's, fines and taxes due to property values, you could EASILY buy a bigger piece of land with zero restrictions in a rural area.  YOU choose where you live, and if you live in an HOA community, you have to follow the regulations that go along with that property.  I personally would never consider being in an HOA.  And if one came around me, I would make sure to piss them off as much as possible as there is NO WAY they can force an existing owner to sign on with an HOA.  So I would get a copy of their regulations and do EVERYTHING to create complaints and then hang a rope in a tree for them to go piss up when they came around complaining. 

But there are those that DO want to live that way.  And within reason, they have that right. 

I am really hoping that we don't go down the path here that I have seen elsewhere on the ham radio forums where there are discussions of how to hide this or do you think I can get away with that. 

And if you live in an HOA community and are getting into radio, sell the place and MOVE.  The minute that the HOA gets forced into allowing towers and antenna's and can't deny it any more, they WILL look at every other thing you are  doing and fine the crap out of you until you either relent and take the tower down or are forced to move out.  And HOA's CAN seize property in some states.  They do it all the time.  So read your agreements and see what it is you are doing down to the smallest detail and be assured they will be crawled up your back side enforcing their crap on you.  We are back to property values in HOA communities are usually pretty good, so make that nonsense someone else's problem and buy a small farm or ranch house with an outbuilding and use the extra money to buy a comfortable car to drive to work in and a nice tower to further your radio hobby endeavors.