Help with UV5G Part 95E compliant radio

WRVG593

15 hours ago, Danjc1109 said:

Did you figure it out? I have a solution 

I would love to hear your solution. But I did create some sort of solution for my needs. I was able to save my repeater channels to channels 30+ and just change the repeater tones to be what ineed and change the name in program. I did that so I could have a repeater anywhere i go in the state of Ohio. 

Would love to hear your solution!!

• 1 year later...

I have a pair of UV-5G's that was purchased in Dec 2023.  I have used both Chirp and the Radioditty Software with a Baofeng/Abbree PL2303 cable and was able to download and upload on either program successfully (using the Radioditty UV-5G setting for Chirp) and program channels beyond Cahnnel 30.  However the minute I try to program anything outside the 462.xxx Rx frequency, it will load but no Tx.  There is a local repeater that operates on 444.550000 TSQL 136.5 with a 5.000000 offset that I load into memory slot 37.  It loaded fine with no need to use an xml editor to add anything but it won't transmit.  Just for grins, I copied the preprogrammed setup for RPT-4 into memory slot 37 and low and behold, it does allow Tx.  I also tried to modify the preprogrammed Repeater in memory position 24 and it allowed the change using the Radioditty software but no Tx.   It definitely appears that the radio is locked in the firmware to only allow Tx on the 462.xxx Rx frequency with the 5.000000 offset or the 467.xxx Tx frequency.  This is an older forum and I am a novice at this so I'm hoping someone has done more of a deep dive into the limitations of this radio but right now I am unable to program any Repeater channels and looking at my State using Repeaterbook, there are no repeaters that operate on a Rx of 462.xxx.  So I really dont understand how this radio can even use a repeater.  What am I missing here?

• 4 weeks later...

If you have a BaoFeng that does not have any "issues", then you don't have a BaoFeng. My UV-5R8W has the high and low power setting reversed.  Transmitted into a dummy load and the power meter displayed approximately 2 watts on high and 4+ on low. Would not have known that unless I tested it. Not a great radio, but good enough if ever needed, and the battery lasts forever, it seems.

• 2 months later...
On 1/31/2024 at 2:33 PM, WRXR360 said:

UV-5R8W has the high and low power setting reversed.  Transmitted into a dummy load and the power meter displayed approximately 2 watts on high and 4+ on low.

Woah, is there a way I can verify my radio isn't doing this without a power meter/dummy load/special equipment?

1 hour ago, edisondotme said:

Woah, is there a way I can verify my radio isn't doing this without a power meter/dummy load/special equipment?

On mine, I know that High power is actually High power because it is the only power setting that will hit the Channelview repeater from my house.

Now, whether or not Low and Medium are reversed, I haven't done anything to verify that yet.

Edited by WRXB215
Added info.

I have the same ht.....when I got it, channel 15 would not transmit (no matter what I did in chirp)

I was sent a firmware update that made everything work. I never tried to program alternate channel configs until I read this thread.

I just tried programming an alternate ctcss input for (rptr 2). Radioditty uv5g on chirp and it worked just fine.......I still have the zip file of that firmware upgrade.

Enter the channel frequency , set duplex to  "+" and offset to 5.0, uploaded to the ht and it works fine.

Now I'm playing with the GM21 - I don't think I have a use for 999 memory channels though.