Help with UV5G Part 95E compliant radio

WRVG593

Hey there. Got a new test radio today. The Baofeng UV-5G. If you're going to comment about how much you hate baofeng, save your energy. I have a few problems with the radio and figured someone here can help me. 

So I was annoyed to find out it came with 30 preprogrammed GMRS channels that you CANNOT change. There is supposedly no other way. You can change the RxTx Tones, and the name through BaoFengs program (get to the program later) and that's about it. I tried CHIRP and come to find out... the UV5G is NOT on chirp??? That's nuts. I selected the UV5X (it's the same as UV5G). But come to find out the UV5X and UV5X-GMRS are 2 separate entities. So what I WOULD have been looking for was the UV5XGMRS. which dosent exist on chirp. 

So I went back to the BaoFeng program. And you can't change the output frequency. Aka... the Offset!!! You know.. the things that make a repeater work? So not only can you not change the first 30 channels in general, but you can't create an offset in their program. But it gets better.

So I download an XML file editor. I get the offset made. I think it's all good. I attempt to transmit... it dosent even let me transmit! I get a beep indicating I cannot physically transmit. So I go to Frequency mode. Tried and true, we all know with the 5R, you can field program it to hear the closest repeater. (Never transmit... that's against the rules!) But when I enter frequency mode on my UV5G... It gives the same beep that prevented me from using it. Wether I use a gmrs channel, an frs channel, a gmrs channel with an offset and tone... all the above.

The same thing happens when I program it to have any more than 30 channels. So as soon as I get off 30, and onto 31 (let's say I programmed it as a .550 with offset of 5 and a pl of 67 hz) it will give the same beep. I will attempt to attach a video of the beep. Thank you for all help!

18 minutes ago, WRVG593 said:

Hey there. Got a new test radio today. The Baofeng UV-5G. If you're going to comment about how much you hate baofeng, save your energy. I have a few problems with the radio and figured someone here can help me. 

So I was annoyed to find out it came with 30 preprogrammed GMRS channels that you CANNOT change. There is supposedly no other way. You can change the RxTx Tones, and the name through BaoFengs program (get to the program later) and that's about it. I tried CHIRP and come to find out... the UV5G is NOT on chirp??? That's nuts. I selected the UV5X (it's the same as UV5G). But come to find out the UV5X and UV5X-GMRS are 2 separate entities. So what I WOULD have been looking for was the UV5XGMRS. which dosent exist on chirp. 

So I went back to the BaoFeng program. And you can't change the output frequency. Aka... the Offset!!! You know.. the things that make a repeater work? So not only can you not change the first 30 channels in general, but you can't create an offset in their program. But it gets better.

So I download an XML file editor. I get the offset made. I think it's all good. I attempt to transmit... it dosent even let me transmit! I get a beep indicating I cannot physically transmit. So I go to Frequency mode. Tried and true, we all know with the 5R, you can field program it to hear the closest repeater. (Never transmit... that's against the rules!) But when I enter frequency mode on my UV5G... It gives the same beep that prevented me from using it. Wether I use a gmrs channel, an frs channel, a gmrs channel with an offset and tone... all the above.

The same thing happens when I program it to have any more than 30 channels. So as soon as I get off 30, and onto 31 (let's say I programmed it as a .550 with offset of 5 and a pl of 67 hz) it will give the same beep. I will attempt to attach a video of the beep. Thank you for all help!

I'll say it's not much help, but that's pretty status quo for most of the btech gmrs radios as well.

You get 30 hard coded channels, 1-7, 15-22 (simplex) and 23-30 (repeaters) are hard coded. 8-14 and everything custom is Rx only. The version 1 of the gmrs-v1 and the Gmrs 50x1, same deal. Got a service menu password that semi worked, but all I succeeded in doing is breaking the vfo scan (it only scans uhf now, no vhf, though I can type them in). Version 2 of the gmrs-v1 apparently comes with the ability to program some custom channels.

It seems to be a lockdown at the firmware level, and I haven't found a way around it, and I've done quite a bit of searching...though the uv5g may have brighter possibilities there.

1 hour ago, wayoverthere said:

I'll say it's not much help, but that's pretty status quo for most of the btech gmrs radios as well.

You get 30 hard coded channels, 1-7, 15-22 (simplex) and 23-30 (repeaters) are hard coded. 8-14 and everything custom is Rx only. The version 1 of the gmrs-v1 and the Gmrs 50x1, same deal. Got a service menu password that semi worked, but all I succeeded in doing is breaking the vfo scan (it only scans uhf now, no vhf, though I can type them in). Version 2 of the gmrs-v1 apparently comes with the ability to program some custom channels.

It seems to be a lockdown at the firmware level, and I haven't found a way around it, and I've done quite a bit of searching...though the uv5g may have brighter possibilities there.

Well I wouldn't be too mad about the first 30 channels if I could just use the freaking frequency mode and channels 31-129!!! But it won't work!!

1 hour ago, WRVG593 said:

Well I wouldn't be too mad about the first 30 channels if I could just use the freaking frequency mode and channels 31-129!!! But it won't work!!

Yeah, I wasn't thrilled (putting it mildly) when I figured out what was going on...there are a couple repeaters in range on channel 16 with different tones...loaded them both via chirp...no transmit.

I haven't been able to find it again, but I stumbled on something once that implied locking them down that way was kind of a "easy pass" for FCC certification.

10 hours ago, WRVG593 said:

Wouxun is the main brand taking GMRS seriously right now. Baofeng's are kinda a joke, but the UV-5R does works with Chirp and can be enabled to put the frequencies in them you are licensed for. But you need to be really techie to use this terribly designed stuff.

If you need or enjoy radio, hang in there. No you don't need to spend $2k to get a radio that will work.

14 hours ago, WRVG593 said:

You have to use the radioditty uv-5x or G  selection in chirp. 

In chirp you can program any of the channels 31-120 to gmrs frequencies, repeater or otherwise. 

I have a pair of UV5Gs

2 hours ago, pcradio said:

Wouxun is the main brand taking GMRS seriously right now. Baofeng's are kinda a joke, but the UV-5R does works with Chirp and can be enabled to put the frequencies in them you are licensed for. But you need to be really techie to use this terribly designed stuff.

If you need or enjoy radio, hang in there. No you don't need to spend $2k to get a radio that will work.

The UV5R is a Ham radio and Is not allowed to be used to communicate on GMRS. But for emergencies I already have them programmed in. It's really not that hard.

1 hour ago, UncleYoda said:

But they're still receive only on those channels, right? (barring some unlock trick which breaks compliance).

If Channels 31+ are opened to additional GMRS Simplex and Repeater channels, but with different Tones, why does that break compliance?

That is exactly what Radioddity did with its updated Firmware for its GM-30; I think it was Channels 31-55 for more Repeaters..

3 hours ago, UncleYoda said:

But they're still receive only on those channels, right? (barring some unlock trick which breaks compliance).

Nope, Both RX and TX. They are only RX if you program thru the keypad. My pair only have the updated firmware installed, but no "open mods". The popular method to open the UV5R does not work on the UV5G.

2 hours ago, MichaelLAX said:

If Channels 31+ are opened to additional GMRS Simplex and Repeater channels, but with different Tones, why does that break compliance?

That is exactly what Radioddity did with its updated Firmware for its GM-30; I think it was Channels 31-55 for more Repeaters..

There's nothing about additional gmrs channels that breaks compliance. Look at wouxun...my kg805g let you fill all 128 channels with whatever gmrs transmit frequencies you want, and receive anything in the 400-470 range. The kg1000g also allows lots more channels of tx within gmrs, and all the Rx you want in multiple bands, no issue. 

Unfortunately, for some radios (like the at779uv/db20g), the unlock to get those additional takes it out of the state it was certified based on.

I really think this "no additional tx channels" was just an easy path to 95e compliance.

12 hours ago, Borage257 said:

You have to use the radioditty uv-5x or G  selection in chirp. 

In chirp you can program any of the channels 31-120 to gmrs frequencies, repeater or otherwise. 

I have a pair of UV5Gs

But I can't transmit on channels 31-127!!! And on chirp I can't even use the UV5X/G option for the simple fact that when I use chirp it won't copy from radio to computer or vice versa. 

39 minutes ago, WRVG593 said:

But I can't transmit on channels 31-127!!! And on chirp I can't even use the UV5X/G option for the simple fact that when I use chirp it won't copy from radio to computer or vice versa. 

Make sure you have the cable driver installed. Try selecting different COM ports and make the Radioddity UV5G selection.

In the video it looks like you are trying to TX in frequency mode which I think you will find you can't do on the GMRS version. 

9 hours ago, WRVG593 said:

UV5X/G option for the simple fact that when I use chirp it won't copy from radio to computer or vice versa. 

like Borage257 said

8 hours ago, Borage257 said:

Try selecting different COM ports and make the Radioddity UV5G selection

1 hour ago, WRUU653 said:

I have the Baofeng UV-9G and using Chirp I can program all 127 channels with repeater channels in the GMRS frequencies if I want and it will TX on them.  Do you have duplex turned off? I have no issues with my particular Baofeng. 

It won't even let me copy to or from radio onto my computer. Very weird 

9 hours ago, Borage257 said:

Make sure you have the cable driver installed. Try selecting different COM ports and make the Radioddity UV5G selection.

Can't even find different coms for it! Whe. I programmed the UV5R I was able to and for this one the only one I can get is 3! Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Definitely harder to program than ghe UV5R haha

8 minutes ago, WRVG593 said:

Can't even find different coms for it! Whe. I programmed the UV5R I was able to and for this one the only one I can get is 3! Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Definitely harder to program than ghe UV5R haha

When you have the cable plugged in, you can go into the control panel, the. Device manager to see what COM port the cable is plugged into. In chirp, you select the COM port when you choose the  make  and model to read/write from.

You want to choose Radioddity UV5G.

There may also be a firmware update you need. Most new radios should already have it.