Which Mounting Location?

WRPK937

Question

I'm considering moving my antenna from its current location on the driver's side edge of the hood to the center of the bull bar on my pre-runner bumper. See photo for the 2 locations. The reason for wanting to relocate, I'm concerned that the lip mount will eventually damage my hood by moving around.

Edit to Add: Forgot to mention that the roof is not an option, less than 2" of clearance when entering my garage.

In its current location the antenna and bracket are grounded. In the new location the bracket would not be grounded due to the thickness of the paint but assume this is a non-issue since the connection is using PL259/SO239 connectors???

In your opinion will this; A: Improve the system's efficiency, B: Reduce the system's efficiency or C; the system will remain the same?

Radio =Midland MXT500
Antenna = Midland MXTA26 6db Gain Whip Antenna
Current mounting bracket = Midland MXTA27 Universal Lip Mount
Proposed mounting solution = Midland MXTA23 Roll Bar Mounting Bracket 
with a Midland MXTA24 Low Profile Antenna Cable

If it helps, the vehicle is 1996 Ford Bronco.

Appreciate any and all feedback

IMG_0351 (2).jpg

IMG_0349.JPG

9 answers to this question

I would not move it to the brush guard.  You are going to have a huge shadowing problem at least 160 degrees toward the rear of the vehicle.  You will not be happy with the performance.

I would either put it on the roof or measure the distance between where it is now and the rear lip of the hood, and then split that measurement and move it closer to the windshield by that final measurement.

23 hours ago, WRPK937 said:

I'm considering moving my antenna from its current location on the driver's side edge of the hood to the center of the bull bar on my pre-runner bumper. See photo for the 2 locations. The reason for wanting to relocate, I'm concerned that the lip mount will eventually damage my hood by moving around.

Edit to Add: Forgot to mention that the roof is not an option, less than 2" of clearance when entering my garage.

In its current location the antenna and bracket are grounded. In the new location the bracket would not be grounded due to the thickness of the paint but assume this is a non-issue since the connection is using PL259/SO239 connectors???

In your opinion will this; A: Improve the system's efficiency, B: Reduce the system's efficiency or C; the system will remain the same?

Ungrounded bracket may cause problems as you won't have a ground plane to reflect a 1/4Wave antenna -- instead you end up using the outside of the coax shield as a "return path". For 1/4wave, you want effectively a sheet of metal connected to the outside of the connector to make a half-wave dipole (1/4wave real, 1/4wave "reflection".

Also, with most of the metal behind the antenna, your radiation pattern is going to be very distorted -- if it attempts to use the hood and body as a ground plane, the offset may have the forward beam aimed at the ground, while the rearward beam is going to aim at the sky.

2 hours ago, marcspaz said:

I would either put it on the roof or measure the distance between where it is now and the rear lip of the hood, and then split that measurement and move it closer to the windshield by that final measurement.

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

I will use your suggestion to move closer to the windshield. I will find a way to protect the paint from damage. 

I edited the original post to show the roof is not an option. I have less than 2" of clearance moving through the garage door due to lift and tires.

5 hours ago, WRPG745 said:

you might consider a bracket like the ones at Valley Enterprises: https://www.valley-ent.com/store/brackets

I didn't see Bronco specifically, but perhaps one of the F150 mounts would work? might be worth the call...

good luck!

This would be where I'd be looking as well. If there isn't a specific one made, a generic bracket may work as well; I'm using a comet bracket for one of the two antennas on my truck (no model specific brackets available), and conveniently the bolt is bare metal because it also mounts the fuse box.

23 hours ago, WRPG745 said:

you might consider a bracket like the ones at Valley Enterprises: https://www.valley-ent.com/store/brackets

I didn't see Bronco specifically, but perhaps one of the F150 mounts would work? might be worth the call...

good luck!

I see a couple different ones that might work for me. Thanks for the link.

23 hours ago, gortex2 said:

For 10 years I unscrewed my NMO mount when backing my F350 in the garage every night. Sometimes a better mount requires a bit of work. Just food for thought.

Certainly, a consideration. I really only use my radio when off-roading, overlanding and camping. Would not be a be a huge effort to take on and off as needed. I leave it on now just to listen in occasionally. The only downside is the height of the Bronco with lift and tires. Most work in the engine bay requires a 2-step step ladder. Might be able to stand on the door sill and reach the center of the roof.

11 hours ago, KAF6045 said:

Ungrounded bracket may cause problems as you won't have a ground plane to reflect a 1/4Wave antenna -- instead you end up using the outside of the coax shield as a "return path". For 1/4wave, you want effectively a sheet of metal connected to the outside of the connector to make a half-wave dipole (1/4wave real, 1/4wave "reflection".

Also, with most of the metal behind the antenna, your radiation pattern is going to be very distorted -- if it attempts to use the hood and body as a ground plane, the offset may have the forward beam aimed at the ground, while the rearward beam is going to aim at the sky.

Thanks for the detailed reply. Based on your feedback and that of the others 1 of 2 actions will happen; 1) Move it back towards the windshield slightly and use a new bracket from the link above or 2) Mount to the roof and remove before entering the garage.