Programming Issues With the Vertex VX-4207 (RESOLVED)

tcp2525

Question

First off, I did all the research and thought I should be able to fool the software (CE59 V4.01 USA) by backdating to 2010 as was mentioned here. The software did accept W5 and I was able to upload it to the radio just fine. It would transmit as it should, but it will not receive at all. I found if I go back in the software and select N both receive and transmit work as it should. I just can't get this to wide band. Radio has Firmware V1.85.

I found a copy of (CE59 V2.24w) which supposed to be export software and loaded that and it did the same as above whether I back dated or used the current date. I'm not sure if this is pilot error and I'm overlooking something stupid or is there something in the radio's firmware preventing wide band? I know the radio is designed for narrow band due to FCC rules, but from what I've read people have been successful at using this radio on the ham bands or GMRS. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

11 answers to this question

I'll try to get a look at version numbers this evening.

As for other possibilities, is the signal you're trying to receive wide or narrow? the other thought to look at is squelch level and tones.

I have a vague memory of running into something similar with one of mine, with it not receiving, and it did end up being something small and seemingly silly in the settings.

One other thing I have a vague memory of (I think it was @Radioguy7268may have mentioned it, or maybe @Sshannon) of there being some problems with the filters on some of the vertex radios. Ill see if I can find the post.

5 minutes ago, wayoverthere said:.

One other thing I have a vague memory of (I think it was @Radioguy7268may have mentioned it, or maybe @Sshannon) of there being some problems with the filters on some of the vertex radios. Ill see if I can find the post.

I can’t take any credit for that. 

1 hour ago, Sshannon said:

I can’t take any credit for that. 

https://forums.mygmrs.com/topic/3939-vertex-standard-vx-2200-and-ce-82-software/?do=findComment&comment=39296&_rid=2738

Here is the post I was thinking of, it was more narrowband not working in that case, and I was wrong on both guesses, it was @PACNWComms

16 minutes ago, wayoverthere said:

https://forums.mygmrs.com/topic/3939-vertex-standard-vx-2200-and-ce-82-software/?do=findComment&comment=39296&_rid=2738

Here is the post I was thinking of, it was more narrowband not working in that case, and I was wrong on both guesses, it was @PACNWComms

Thanks. I'll go through that and see what I can do. What's really odd is I enabled  "Off Hook Signalling" and it does intermittently receive. I am playing around with the squelch setting, but not having much luck.

7 minutes ago, tcp2525 said:

Thanks. I'll go through that and see what I can do. What's really odd is I enabled  "Off Hook Signalling" and it does intermittently receive. I am playing around with the squelch setting, but not having much luck.

On a side note another quirk is the scan...needs the mic holder grounded, and stops when you pull the mic from the holder, but it's also dependent on a ground wire inside connected to the hanger pin.

It finally came to me the issue I had ..it was a squelch level setting, there's 2 places in the software to adjust squelch, and one defaulted on the high side.

22 minutes ago, wayoverthere said:

On a side note another quirk is the scan...needs the mic holder grounded, and stops when you pull the mic from the holder, but it's also dependent on a ground wire inside connected to the hanger pin.

It finally came to me the issue I had ..it was a squelch level setting, there's 2 places in the software to adjust squelch, and one defaulted on the high side.

I think I solved it by a roundabout way. These are new in the box radios and the first one I went to program I downloaded from the radio so I can have a virgin file and saved it. I'm now thinking I didn't get a virgin. I did the same with radio #2 and saved it in a safe place and programmed that radio and it worked perfectly. I went and programmed the first radio and it's working. So, now I'm happier than a tick on a hound dog. Thanks everyone for all your help as I was getting beaten into the ground. I always find the stupidest problems!!!?

1 hour ago, wayoverthere said:

Ok, now since I have both radios receiving I have a new issue. Radio #1 has really poor reception when receiving our local repeater while radio #2 is much better. I've never played with these Vertex before and am wondering if it's a hardware issue or do I need to align it? This is all wide band for GMRS, not narrow.

1 hour ago, tcp2525 said:

Ok, now since I have both radios receiving I have a new issue. Radio #1 has really poor reception when receiving our local repeater while radio #2 is much better. I've never played with these Vertex before and am wondering if it's a hardware issue or do I need to align it? This is all wide band for GMRS, not narrow.

If that's both radios on the same antenna, coax, etc, where the radio is the only variable, alignment would be my next thought. The line of sight nature of UHF can mean moving the antenna just a foot one way or the other can affect reception though, so.i'd want to rule out all the other possibilities first

The beauty of identical models though, being able.to carry over the programming between Them.

47 minutes ago, wayoverthere said:

If that's both radios on the same antenna, coax, etc, where the radio is the only variable, alignment would be my next thought. The line of sight nature of UHF can mean moving the antenna just a foot one way or the other can affect reception though, so.i'd want to rule out all the other possibilities first

The beauty of identical models though, being able.to carry over the programming between Them.

Thanks.  I am going to take a break from it till the weekend when hopefully  I should have more time. These look  like well built radios so I want to get them in peak performance.

Just want to give you guys an update. I had time to go through the radio and did confirm it was a bad ceramic filter. I ordered new filters and just changed them today. It doesn't get any better than this, a $3.00 fix and 30 minutes to rip the radio down and hit it with the desoldering station. All working great and the recieve is hot. Thanks, guys, for all your help as it is much appreciated.