Midland’s new-ish Mobile/portable repeater

giantfuton

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, timclark82 said:

So it looks like the radio is 10W, and after the duplexer it is around 5W which is the same as the Retevis I think.

It’s manufactured by the same manufacturer as the Retevis RT97s and appears to have the same specs. 
Notarubicon’s measurements reflect a power output of about 6 watts after the duplexer, which was within half a watt of the Retevis. 

I just got the MXR10 today and have also commented on Notarubicon's excellent YouTube video. I'm only getting ~3.7 watts into a dummy load across all repeater channels, which is similar to the RT97 that I used to have. I got rid of the RT97 due to the low power, but I missed it due to the portability. I'll hang on to the MXR10, but would be interested in more real world power measurements from other users.

1 hour ago, OffRoaderX said:

Are you sure you're on high-power? Both my retevis and the Midland get 5-6W ..

Thanks for the quote/reply! Yeah, I double checked the programming and strangely, I get the same ~3.7 watts on high and low power. The same thing happened on my RT97. I only have one meter, the MFJ-849, but it seems pretty accurate on all the other radios I've tested. Even the 3.7 watts is good for my camping, kayaking, skiing and other outdoor mobile uses, so it will work, but it's just strange that I'm getting such low power. I mean, close to 5 watts after the duplexer, I could understand, but no idea. I might pick up another meter and see what I get.

As a follow up, I picked up another meter on Amazon overnight (Surecom SW-102S) and found that it reads ~5.31 watts into a dummy load, which is acceptable. I think that my MFJ-849 has a problem; although it seems pretty accurate at higher wattages. I think that the repeater is fine and that I need to send back the MFJ meter, if possible.