WiFi Remote GMRS Transceiver?

MaverickNH

Question

I have an unused 65ft mast in the trees behind my house where I can push up a GMRS antenna just above the foliage. My problem is getting a run of buried coax out there anytime soon due to some ongoing renovations. I can park a few batteries out there and periodically run a cord out there to recharge them. A temporary solution for maybe 12-18mo.

Are there any GMRS base stations that have remote control operation via WiFi to operate from inside my house about 100ft away?

Bret N4SRN/WRFQ595

4 answers to this question

Not commercially made. Are you looking for simplex or repeater use ? A RT97 repeater would be perfect for that situation however it would be used with you and your users only. If your looking to talk to other repeaters I'm not sure of a simple solution. Even once you can run coax 165' is going to require good cable and not LMR if you want any useable signal. In commercial applications a TRA on a radio is done so you run a 4WT cable to the base and hook it to the radio. Inside a Tone Remote would be used to transmit and receive from. They do have ethernet based remotes now but that isn't a hobby device pricewise. 

2 hours ago, gortex2 said:

Not commercially made. Are you looking for simplex or repeater use ? A RT97 repeater would be perfect for that situation however it would be used with you and your users only. If your looking to talk to other repeaters I'm not sure of a simple solution. Even once you can run coax 165' is going to require good cable and not LMR if you want any useable signal. In commercial applications a TRA on a radio is done so you run a 4WT cable to the base and hook it to the radio. Inside a Tone Remote would be used to transmit and receive from. They do have ethernet based remotes now but that isn't a hobby device pricewise. 

The updated model of the RT97, which is the RT97S, has an external port for connecting an external controller.  It may be possible to connect to it remotely, using a WiFi device. Unfortunately, I’ve been unable to find updated documentation that describes the added functionality of the RT97S; I can only find downloads for the RT97.

If you have deep pockets, a Icom IC-F6330D would work but it's way overkill. The control head/mic runs POE to the base unit, the diagrams show the head as being able to go though a network switch. Pop a wireless bridge on the base unit setup to your existing WiFi and a POE adapter on the head with another wireless bridge or cat cable to your internal network. It will probably cost ya $2k though.

https://www.icomjapan.com/lineup/products/IC-F5330D/