Anyone know any information about the "LA Echo 1 System" repeater on 725 in Los Angeles?

MichaelLAX

It used to be populated by a "crazies" repeater, which was being jammed, the last time I checked.

Now the frequency is clear and this recorded announcement with the time comes on frequently.

I don't see any listing here for it and a Morse Code ID just came on, so I'll pay attention to it next time.

I thought I heard "WWCC0000,C" but no valid GMRS call has all zeros, does it (nor 4 digits either)?

21 hours ago, MichaelLAX said:

Sounds like they synchronized the clock.

Is that Radioddity gs-5b a new release?

Looks like an interesting HT: bluetooth programming, pc and Smartphone, too.

Yes, I noticed the time is now correct too...

Picked up the GS-5b on amazon on a flash deal as a SHTF HT back in December- the bluetooth connect to a smart phone is quick and easy to make an adjustment to the radio programming away from a computer. I also picked up a set of signal sticks for my three radios- for a good cause too!

4 hours ago, MichaelLAX said:

I looked at the links but I am still confused as to what signal sticks do?

Antennas?

Maybe this will help:

The origin of the Super-Elastic Signal Stick

Approximately 15 years ago I made my first antenna following this general design.  These are based on the traditional “1/4 wave piano wire antenna” design; it turns out that 1/4 wave on 2m is roughly 3/4 wave on 70cm, and a 3/4 wave antenna performs roughly the same as a 1/4 wave antenna, which makes these work equally well on both 70cm and 2m.

These antennas were originally made with stainless steel wire as a fundraiser for a ham radio youth group (the one I met my wife in, actually). Over the years we’ve improved the design dramatically, most notably by changing to use nitinol superelastic wire. When the youth group shut down I was assistant advisor to it and due to continued demand I took over the project and have continued selling them as a fundraiser for HamStudy.org, a site which I am also connected with.”

13 minutes ago, MichaelLAX said:

How do they compare to the traditional 771-type models?

Probably similar gain, but you can take a Signal Stick and wind it into a loop and put it in your pocket, or use two of them to make a dipole, or multiple ones of different lengths to make a fan dipole. They’re part of a system.  

The most important thing they do is make Ham Study available for people who want to study.  

1 hour ago, MichaelLAX said:

How do they compare to the traditional 771-type models?

Little longer, little thinner, more durable. I have a Nagoya that has a little bend in it from the radio falling over and I didn't notice for a couple days. The signal stick gets folded into a u in my backpack and doesn't seem to care. Also available in colors, and the more recent ones are glow in the dark tip on all of them.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...