Trouble programing 654DPL CTS/DCS into my Radioddity DB20-G

knowinowen

Question

I am having trouble learning how to program 654DPL for my local repeater into a Radioddity DB20-G on channel 16. I have installed the software on my computer. In my owners manual it looks like Code no. 429 matches 654DPL. I double click on he far right box for channel 16 and a drop down box opens but I don't see anything in the CTC/DCS codes that resembles just a plain ole 429? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Owen.

6 answers to this question

I don’t have this radio but Try putting it in location channel 24. This is channel 16 frequency (462.5750) in a repeater location (462.5750/467.5750) and should be able to put your tones in and have the offset already.  You may find this tone mode chart helpful also. It does look like you chose the right code for 654 DPL. I hope this helps. 

2 hours ago, knowinowen said:

I am having trouble learning how to program 654DPL for my local repeater into a Radioddity DB20-G on channel 16. I have installed the software on my computer. In my owners manual it looks like Code no. 429 matches 654DPL. I double click on he far right box for channel 16 and a drop down box opens but I don't see anything in the CTC/DCS codes that resembles just a plain ole 429? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Owen.

First, make sure the box named SPECIAL DCS say STANDARD DCS. Then, in the drop down box for CTCSS/DCS ENCODE, scroll down past the numeric values until you get to the ones that start with D.  Scroll until D654N appears. Select it, then OK.

image.thumb.png.5ab174fb3e9a22a1dfea8abfaf096e23.png

First off: Channel 16 on the DB20-G is the simplex version of the frequency 462.575; you want Channel 24, so that you will transmit on the Repeater Input of 467.575.

Using the CPS software is always easiest to set a Tone, but in a pinch it can be done using the buttons of the Radio.

These instructions are for when the radio is out of the box GMRS and not when it has been opened up to transmit on Ham frequencies 2 meters and 70 cms; although I believe they are the same otherwise.

When you use this method, the Tone setting is only temporary, so that once you change Channels or turn the radio off and then back on again, the Tone setting will default back to the Tone set using programming software

There is a way to do this more Permanent so that the Tone setting survives changing Channels and/or powering the radio off and then back on, but it is more complicated so let's do the Temporary one:

Scroll to Channel 24 using the DN and UP button on your Microphone (or using the UP and DOWN Arrow buttons on the radio)

Push the FUN button; this will open up the Menu at the bottom of the screen

Usually it defaults to "01:T-CDC" which is the Tone Menu.

If you are not at 01, use the V/M as UP and MAIN as DOWN to scroll through the Menu items until you get to 01:T-CDC

Once you are at Menu 01:T-CDC, it will either have a value already selected, such as 146.2, or say OFF

If it says OFF, push the MON button so that it nows has a value, such as 62.5; this is CTCSS.

To change a CTCSS setting, use the UP Arrow Button as UP and DOWN Arrow Button as DOWN to get to the CTCSS value you desire to transmit with to open the Repeater, such as 146.2

To enter a Digital Tone instead of a CTCSS Tone, use the MON button to toggle between these different setting:

• OFF

• A pre-programmed value such as 62.5

• Value, such as 62.5 and the word "edit" after it

• 000 N  sp:0

• 000 I  sp:0

These last two settings are for DCS digital tones that are either Normal (N) or Inverse (I); most people use Normal DCS settings; so toggle to 000 N. sp:0

Now using the UP and DOWN Arrow Buttons, scroll to the number of the digital DCS code you need; such as 654 N  sp:0

Push the FUN button to leave the Tone Menu

Now when you transmit you will be Channel 24 and your DCS transmit Tone.

NOTE: I do not know why Radioddity chose to give Digital Tones a confusing "Code No." in the manual; these only confuse the issue.

On 1/18/2023 at 4:40 PM, knowinowen said:

Michael mentioned that the DCS conversion chart in the owners manual confused the issue here and that was true. Also the explanation Michael  gave about the prefix and suffix letters on the DCS codes helped me to better understand what I was looking for.

So if you wanted to set for "DCS/DPL tone 26" then you'd scroll down to the choice that says "D026N"?   The manual definitely messed me up, too!

My thanks to all of you who helped me to have a better understanding of how to program  my Radioddity DB20-G. Michael mentioned that the DCS conversion chart in the owners manual confused the issue here and that was true. Also the explanation Michael  gave about the prefix and suffix letters on the DCS codes helped me to better understand what I was looking for. Lastly, Steve's message with the picture of the drop down box guided me right to what I needed. 

Thanks guys, the radio is programmed to my local repeater and I have loaded 50 or so additional listening frequencies to help keep me entertained while driving on my hunting trips.

I hope you all see my reply. Sincerely, Owen.