Midland Repeater

gortex2

As I'm sure it will be asked the bundle does not list specification other than 10db antenna (7') and 50' of cable (Appears to be a LMR variant). I'm not convinced the antenna is actually 10db but who knows in all reality. A laird 7db gain antenna is 9' tall and runs around $200 so I think the bundle is probably a good deal. 

I'm sure all will say buy the RT97 and while I agree its the same box Midland will sells tons of the "bundles" cause 90% of the folks using GMRS want simple. Sadly I see tons of repeaters out there on CH1....

18 hours ago, gortex2 said:

As I'm sure it will be asked the bundle does not list specification other than 10db antenna (7') and 50' of cable (Appears to be a LMR variant). I'm not convinced the antenna is actually 10db but who knows in all reality. A laird 7db gain antenna is 9' tall and runs around $200 so I think the bundle is probably a good deal. 

I questioned the 10dBi antenna as well so ran the numbers for 3 Comet antennas to see how realistic that number should be against a known company.

GP-3 7.2 dBi, 6ft tall
GP-6nc 9.0 dBi, 10ft tall
GP-9nc 11.9 dBi, 16.5ft tall

I guess the Midland could have a loading coil or something similar built into the antenna to up the gain but highly doubt that it would outperform a GP-6nc.

Personally I wouldn't compare a comet hobby antenna to the Midland. Id at least start with a Laird or similar LMR branded antenna. The L-Com 9db antenna is 8' tall. 

At this point until someone gets one in their hands its hard to know. It would be nice if they would offer it on the site separate with some info. I would imagine in the future it will be there just like mobile antenna's

2 hours ago, gortex2 said:

Personally I wouldn't compare a comet hobby antenna to the Midland. Id at least start with a Laird or similar LMR branded antenna. The L-Com 9db antenna is 8' tall. 

At this point until someone gets one in their hands its hard to know. It would be nice if they would offer it on the site separate with some info. I would imagine in the future it will be there just like mobile antenna's

My first thought was that it might be an Ed Fong antenna inside that tube. ?

Even if you wouldn’t choose one for use as a repeater antenna based on durability, Comet antennas have an excellent reputation for accuracy in their published specifications.  It makes sense that @markskjervewould use their data.