Is more than one license permitted by the FCC?

OffRoaderX

I cant find the answer to this myself so I yield to those that know more than I do:

Does creating a new FRN and applying for an additional GMRS license violate any rules?  For example, if i lost my FRN/callsign, or if i just dont like the way my callsign sounds and want a new one, would paying for a new license break any rules? And if so, please point to that rule (please, no guesses).

I know that per https://www.fcc.gov/new-users-guide-getting-started-universal-licensing-system-uls   multiple FRNs are permitted, but I cant find anything about multiple licenses.

9 minutes ago, BoxCar said:

There are a great many Part 90 organizations with multiple FRNs and licenses for the same physical location. Police departments are primary culprits.

I know multiple FRNs is fine, but wondering if there is anything for us lowly GMRS users specifically prohibiting more than one license.  We know the police are allowed to do whatever they want.

31 minutes ago, OffRoaderX said:

I know multiple FRNs is fine, but wondering if there is anything for us lowly GMRS users specifically prohibiting more than one license.  We know the police are allowed to do whatever they want.

Interesting question.  If you got a GMRS license for each of your FRNs, would they know?

@OffRoaderX I am by no means an authority on this, but this information may help.

From what I found, it used to be against the rules, but it isn't any longer.  47 C.F.R. Part 95 Subpart A, specifically 95.131(a) stated "An individual may be licensed as the responsible party for only one GMRS system." 

Everything I have found suggests that the restriction on having only one GMRS license per individual was removed as part of the FCC's efforts to modernize the GMRS rules in September 2017, primarily to make it easier for families to use the service.

2 hours ago, OffRoaderX said:

I cant find the answer to this myself so I yield to those that know more than I do:

Does creating a new FRN and applying for an additional GMRS license violate any rules?  For example, if i lost my FRN/callsign, or if i just dont like the way my callsign sounds and want a new one, would paying for a new license break any rules? And if so, please point to that rule (please, no guesses).

I know that per https://www.fcc.gov/new-users-guide-getting-started-universal-licensing-system-uls   multiple FRNs are permitted, but I cant find anything about multiple licenses.

I have two FRNs. I couldn’t figure out how to recover my first one, but somehow I did so then I got my licenses (ham and GMRS) under my first FRN. 

2 minutes ago, OffRoaderX said:

If someone looses their FRN, and forgets their callsign, their only option is to get another license.

I actually did this exact thing.  I lost my old FRN and old GMRS license information.  I couldn't recover my account because the email service provider I registered with went out of business and I lost access to my email account.  So, I applied for a new GMRS license under the FRN I created when I got my amateur license.

3 hours ago, OffRoaderX said:

However, if you want a different callsign it is possible to cancel your existing license and get another. There was a guy on here just the other day who has done that four or five times. 

15 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

However, if you want a different callsign it is possible to cancel your existing license and get another. There was a guy on here just the other day who has done that four or five times. 

Yah, but still tied to the same FRN. is FRN info public? and can you see the previous license tied to the first?

@Sshannon that is the same issue I ran into. It's like my old FRN was erased from CORES. i can't see anything about my old license in ULS or License Manager. I tried looking it up by name hoping after I created a new account, I could seize ownership of my old FRN, but only my original amateur licenses was displayed. 

After not getting any help from the FCC support team, I just gave up and started over.

4 minutes ago, marcspaz said:

@Sshannon that is the same issue I ran into. It's like my old FRN was erased from CORES. i can't see anything about my old license in ULS or License Manager. I tried looking it up by name hoping after I created a new account, I could seize ownership of my old FRN, but only my original amateur licenses was displayed. 

After not getting any help from the FCC support team, I just gave up and started over.

So, I don’t know if this will help, but I was able to find it this morning.  I went to this page:

https://apps.fcc.gov/cores/advancedSearch.do?csfrToken=

And when I searched I gave just my name and my city/state/zip, although I probably could have left those off.

23BD02B5-2441-4C46-9628-9F6A7D90A753.png

18 minutes ago, marcspaz said:

I just found two FRNs for your name and sent them to you in a PM. The older one was from 2002.

44 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

So, I don’t know if this will help, but I was able to find it this morning.  I went to this page:

https://apps.fcc.gov/cores/advancedSearch.do?csfrToken=

And when I searched I gave just my name and my city/state/zip, although I probably could have left those off.

23BD02B5-2441-4C46-9628-9F6A7D90A753.png

I had my ham license back in 1996 but let it expire. Doing a search on my old callsign (still unassigned) shows it was issued in 1996, expired in 2006 and cancelled by FCC 2008. I didn't remember anything about a FRN when I got my license or if it even existed. When I got my GMRS license in Oct, the FCC site said something about a existing FRN in my name but was tied to a email address from my old dial up provider, phone that doesn't exist anymore and a address long gone but let me create a new one so I guess I now have two FRN's. I clicked on the link you provided and searched my last name and it shows the FRN RegDate was 5/22/2001 (when I wasn't even active anymore) and the same RegDate for my dad who got his license a year or so after me in another state. If I had to guess, FRN wasn't really a thing until 2001 and they moved everyone over to that system but I could be or am probably wrong....

meanddad.jpg

I was telling Steve (and may have mentioned it earlier), my original FRN was created for managing my amateur license.  I created a second FRN for the GMRS license so my wife and kids could each have their own FCC login account to view/manage the GMRS related items without them having access to my account associated with my amateur license.

Since I lost my GMRS license info and FRN, I just requested a new license under the FRN I created for my amateur account.  Technically, I had two concurrently active GMRS licenses under 2 different FRNs.  Though, after Steve helped me with information I needed, I was able to recover my second FRN account, but there is literally nothing listed under it anymore.  I have no idea what happened to it.

@OffRoaderX

I don't have a link to the rules explicitly saying it's allowed, but I accidentally paid for (2) licences under the same FRN number and now I have (2) calls.  I never use the other one, but it exists in ULS and the feds haven't said anything to me about it yet.  I think they were just happy to have their extra $35.image.thumb.png.470cf2bec0ace193e96d1448a4d100df.png

• 3 months later...
On 2/2/2023 at 5:30 PM, OffRoaderX said:

I don't really know about changing or applying for vanity licenses for GMRS. Amateur Radio, Yes!