Custom Channels

WRWA967

Question

I am new to GMRS and the 4X4 group I'm mentioned using custom channels. I have a BTECH GMRS-Pro and either miss understand or do not know how to program a customer GMRS channel between 462 and 467 Meg. I help either explaining custom channels since I can program the RX, but not the TX. Or helping me program my radio. Thank you in advance.

3 answers to this question

They need to explain custom channel. There is no "other GMRS/FRS" channels other than the ones listed. My guess is maybe they use a unique PL or DPL tone on one of the channels to keep it to your group. Ask them what they mean by custom channel. Once you get that info we can help you program your radio. 

Being blunt, there are no "custom channels" on GMRS or FRS radios. A channel can be "customized" by adding tones for receipt and transmission of messages between users. Adding tones means you are requiring a user to have the same tone to use the channel in the same manner as the others but does not guarantee any type of privacy or exclusive access.

Some radios provide the ability to program "unused" channel SLOTS with a "copy" of existing repeater channel configuration (Tx/Rx frequency, bandwidth, etc.), then modify the tone mode for that copy. This allows, for example, having two repeaters that are on the same FREQUENCY (pair) but use different tone configurations to coexist in the radio -- instead of having to remember the tone configuration for each and manually changing it when switching repeater. There are only eight frequency pairs available for repeaters.

Some radios may also allow this to be done for non-repeater frequencies (the eight main simplex, seven 462MHz GMRS interstitials, and -- with the 2017 reorganization -- the (formerly) 467MHz low-power FRS interstitials).

Radio manufacturers tend to refer to these added channel slots as "custom channels".