Baofeng UV-9G won't transmit on freqs entered from keypad even when they are GMRS freqs.

WRWF246

Question

It appears my 9G will transmit properly when using frequencies that were already entered into radio or entered using the software.

However, when I enter a valid GMRS frequency in frequency mode from the radio keypad the radio will not transmit on that freq.

Anyone else seen this problem.

Thanks, John

8 answers to this question

1 minute ago, WRWF246 said:

It appears my 9G will transmit properly when using frequencies that were already entered into radio or entered using the software.

However, when I enter a valid GMRS frequency in frequency mode from the radio keypad the radio will not transmit on that freq.

Thanks, John

Hey John, the Baofeng UV-9G only transmits in channel mode. You can save as many GMRS channels as it will hold (127 I think) for different repeaters settings and what not but you can't transmit in frequency mode. 

On 2/25/2023 at 6:18 PM, WRWF246 said:

Thanks, John

I am having the same problem with Is repeaters programmed by hand I just posted a question about that 

I have never owned a Boafeng radio but recently purchased the UV9G for my neighbor. You can input frequencies in the Frequency mode and then save them to a memory channel. Then you have to switch back to channel mode and go to the channel where you saved the new frequency. You should then be able listen if the frequency is outside of GMRS or transmit if you have set up a repeater (GMRS). I don't have it in front of me but I am pretty sure that is what we did. I read the manual paragraph for switching from memory mode to Frequency mode and thought I must have read it wrong. Surly you don't have to turn the radio off, hold the menu button while turning the radio to switch...

Well, yes you do, and don't call me Shirley.

1 hour ago, WRXE944 said:

I'm moving next door to you soon! 🤣

The kind of short version is we share a well. The booster pump and reservoir tank are closer to my house. The tank is 10 feet lower than my house and 20 above his. Over the last 6 years we have experienced at least 15 power outages with several of them being multiple days long with the longest being 5 days. The pump house with it's own electric meter is closer to me. With a transfer switch we can run the well and booster pump on a generator. The 5 day outage was accompanied by 6 feet of snow over a week which made snow shoeing up and down the hill the only method of travel. We will run the generator for the well and booster pumps on a schedule and use radios for coordination. He was using one of my radios. Now he has his own. Last week we lost power three times for 3-4 hours at a time. We have started turning on our radios when we lose power just in case.