Hagerstown area always listening

WRWQ761

Hello everyone! I am a ham listener but licensed gmrs operator. I have been listening to 2m/70cm for a year or two now but only just got my gmrs license. The only repeater (I know of) is in pa but is just out of reach from me! So I am just wondering if anyone else is in my area. My wife and young kids do not care nor understand my infatuation with this hobby. So trying to meet like minded people so I stop driving them insane with all my random knowledge. Look forward to FINALLY talking to someone!!!

73 WRWQ761

Welcome!!!  I totally get the whole "my family/friends don't get it" situation.  My wife and son were/are Hams and lately neither of them think I'm sane.  LOL

I'm a bit south from you, down in Prince William County, but there are a bunch of GMRS repeaters and users around the DC/B'more area.  There are countless amateur repeaters, too.

Ask questions if you have any.  There are some very, very smart people here with tons of experience and willing to help.  Have fun and hopefully I'll catch you on the air in my travels! 

11 hours ago, marcspaz said:

There are some very, very smart people here with tons of experience and willing to help.  

Lol... he said smart... jk...

This is one of the more helpful sites. Regardless, of the topic. 

Being in the radio world you kinda get the whole know one understands you and this again look often. Sometimes I think I need to choose my hobbies better. The otherside of the coin. I have met some incredible life long friends that I wouldn't have if I didn't choose some of the hobbies I have.

Now you have us.. be as radio weird as you want to, we all understand to an extent. As I stare at my scrap brake line 1/2 wave antenna outside the shop.

You should be able to reach, Ellicott city, Towson maybe Cumberland as well. Mt. Holly relatively close to you is a strong repeater as well as the ones up in Winchester. Get that antenna up high and start scanning.

35 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

Welcome!  If I have correctly parsed your message, it sounds like maybe you would also like to get your ham license.  It’s as easy as it ever has been.  If you need any help with that I can recommend a good teaching tool.

Not sure if we want to pull him to the dark side yet. He has a chance to lead a normal life, he will be more apt to get adopted that way.

WRWQ761, before you make your choice. We hams generally come in two shapes. The round plump variety (think Santa Claus) or thin wiry type (give them a hamburger). I think it has to do with the active geeky/nerdy kind or the sedimentary(in the shack a lot) geeky/nerdy kind .

Me personally, I have adopted the plumper body type. I love how hamfest sometimes look like a wannabe  eccentric Santa Claus flea market. Especially, since radio attract more of the older crowd.

73, WRDD287, W3HRD

• 2 weeks later...

O man you all are great! Yeah I think I'm the plumper version also haha I did just get accepted to Chambersburg 600 and for the the life of me cannot hit it. I did ask some questions to the owner but everything is right!!! 462.600 Rx with 5mhz offset to 467.600 tx. Pl codes (ctcss right?) Edited for no ctcss tones. Everything is right in my radio but I hear nothing!!!! Tried to get the wife to go up closer but no dice! Lol does anyone have any ideas of what I'm doing wrong? I'll be on today if anyone can help!!!! Also I am going to look up those repeater that some have mentioned. I finally got my tram 1447b up in the air. It's about 25 feet off the ground and I used two mounts as a wind brace. I also didn't skimp and broke down and bought 35 foot LMR cable. Geez it is thick wire! Do you hear CW when you hit a GMRS repeater like in ham? Also yes I would love all the ham info everyone has. I genuinely believe I could pass the test and then I'm going to 10m and all that to try!!!! Take me to the dark side!!!! Hahahaha 

1 hour ago, WRWQ761 said:

O man you all are great! Yeah I think I'm the plumper version also haha I did just get accepted to Chambersburg 600 and for the the life of me cannot hit it. I did ask some questions to the owner but everything is right!!! 462.600 Rx with 5mhz offset to 467.600 tx. Pl codes (ctcss right?) Are 118.8hz. Everything is right in my radio but I hear nothing!!!! Tried to get the wife to go up closer but no dice! Lol does anyone have any ideas of what I'm doing wrong? I'll be on today if anyone can help!!!! Also I am going to look up those repeater that some have mentioned. I finally got my tram 1447b up in the air. It's about 25 feet off the ground and I used two mounts as a wind brace. I also didn't skimp and broke down and bought 35 foot LMR cable. Geez it is thick wire! Do you hear CW when you hit a GMRS repeater like in ham? Also yes I would love all the ham info everyone has. I genuinely believe I could pass the test and then I'm going to 10m and all that to try!!!! Take me to the dark side!!!! Hahahaha 

First, remove the RX CTCSS Code.  Then see if you hear the repeater.  Without a code you receive everything.   You will need the right code to transmit, but solve one problem at a time.  If you cannot hear the repeater, and you’re on the right frequency, then either it has no traffic or you’re out of range.

Yes, PL is the same as CTCSS.  

You might hear a GMRS repeater ID itself using Morse code.  That is allowed.  If you hear Morse code right after you tried to hit the repeater, you might have succeeded.

There are different LMR sizes, such as LMR 240, LMR 400, LMR 600. I’m just curious which you got.  Also, I don’t know what you meant about using two mounts as a wind brace.

59 minutes ago, WRWQ761 said:

I did just get accepted to Chambersburg 600 and for the the life of me cannot hit it. I did ask some questions to the owner but everything is right!!!

Just a friendly heads up @WRWQ761 because this is a public forum, mygmrs.com rules ask that you don’t post the tones of repeaters in your post, you need to be a member to access repeater tones. That said it looks like you got things correct.
 I don’t know what radio you are using but many will automatically put the +5 offset in when you set it for a tone on TX for repeaters.
You can leave the RX tone off until you are sure you are hitting the repeater, this can help diagnose what is happening as you would be able to hear everything on that channel/frequency.  If you are testing with two radios make sure they are not right next to each other as they may desense each other.  You can use this tool to check line of site https://www.scadacore.com/tools/rf-path/rf-line-of-sight/. Is it possible you that you are out of range? Check your squelch. Is it possible that everything is right and good with your radio and there just isn’t anything to hear? I hope this helps and you succeed access to the repeater. 

Hey everyone! So to answer Sshannon first yes I have removed Rx tones and still hear nothing. I am aware of CW (Morse code) from ham repeaters but only for others as I don't have a license and will never attempt to key it. I got lmr 600 and it is thick! I had kmr 600 but realized it was not name brand and didn't trust it. It would kink and make a cracking noise! But that definitely could've been my fault! By two braces basically I bought an "antenna mount kit" for a TV antenna and then used a pole and extended the pole the antenna was on and then connected 4 braces throughout so that when we get high winds (two days ago was 65) it may flex a bit but tension is pulled down instead of whipping the antenna around. Hopefully that makes sense!

Moving onto WRUU653. I am so sorry and should've known! That is my fault and if I can edit it I will figure that out and leave those out. I am using a radioddity (anytone) mobile radio in my home connected to a 120v to 12v inverter. I think that is the right word! Lol it is a radioddity db20-g with a tram 1447b antenna on my roof as high as I could go! I do have multiple baofeng uv5r of course lol but I do put them far away when txing on my base because I know they desensitize A LOT!!! Honestly at this point it is frustrating because I do hear many people on the Warrenton repeater with my ctcss tone on but when I talk I can't be heard (as far as no one tells me they copy) but could that be because I'm out of range? The only other repeaters in my area no one talks on so I don't know how to test my radio if no one else is listening! Not sure if I can post my number here or that's a no no but I'm open to that also. I just don't get it!!! I hear people when my ctcss tone is on tx and Rx but cannot make a contact!!! Thank you all for continuing to help. I am going to keep checking back here more frequently! 

I was just through there on 81 on Friday. I didn't hear anything but did hear some repeater IDs in spots, can't remember exactly where. Heard a couple of guys talking south of you in the Greenville, Va. area.

I am new to this repeater stuff, I've been an 11 meter guy since the 70s. I'm going to take the Technician test on the 19th.

I'm sure there is a lot of help here, I'm looking forward to learning.

Excellent I will edit my post right after I'm done. Thanks for the simple info!

Ahhh 81. Love it or hate it depending on traffic haha do you know what IDs you heard just so I can try to narrow it down? Even areas help and I can look them up. Greenville is one I have a long with Warrenton and a couple others. Ill keep listening! 11 meters I hear some people love and some people hate. Personally I've been experimenting with 10 meters as I've heard sometimes the stars aline and you can go 100s of miles but I'm sure that's true with a lot of ham bands. May I ask where/who you are getting the license? I cannot connect with anyone including the Antietam radio association but am trying desperately to connect with some hams! I'm with you and always want to learn. I will host a meetup or anything else just to connect with some more like minded radio people!!!!

2 hours ago, WRWQ761 said:

Hey thanks for the info! I am still planning to get my ham license ASAP (when I find a club) and will be all over 10m! That sounds awesome!

Are you having trouble finding a club?  It would appear that the area is pretty active. 
In May the Hagerstown Hamfest will be held:

http://www.arrl.org/hamfests/the-great-hagerstown-hamfest-4

On 4/5/2023 at 3:02 PM, WRWQ761 said:

Excellent I will edit my post right after I'm done. Thanks for the simple info!

Ahhh 81. Love it or hate it depending on traffic haha do you know what IDs you heard just so I can try to narrow it down? Even areas help and I can look them up. Greenville is one I have a long with Warrenton and a couple others. Ill keep listening! 11 meters I hear some people love and some people hate. Personally I've been experimenting with 10 meters as I've heard sometimes the stars aline and you can go 100s of miles but I'm sure that's true with a lot of ham bands. May I ask where/who you are getting the license? I cannot connect with anyone including the Antietam radio association but am trying desperately to connect with some hams! I'm with you and always want to learn. I will host a meetup or anything else just to connect with some more like minded radio people!!!!

Sorry, just saw this. I don't remember for sure, but I'm thinking in the Harrisburg/Carlisle area. I just had the handheld with me.

I went to the ARRL site to look up test locations, and the closest to me was Vestal, NY. That's where I am going to take it.

The 11 meter (CB) band has been booming during the day. Last week I talked to Birmingham, England and Ireland on 12 watts in my mobile! The problem is the yo yos that just want to get on there and make it miserable for people trying to have fun. 

On 4/6/2023 at 2:55 PM, Sshannon said:

Are you having trouble finding a club?  It would appear that the area is pretty active. 
In May the Hagerstown Hamfest will be held:

http://www.arrl.org/hamfests/the-great-hagerstown-hamfest-4

I am definitely looking forward to this now! Thanks for sending the link. I do not check arrl as much as I should apparently. 

2 hours ago, jeffsimmons1960 said:

Sorry, just saw this. I don't remember for sure, but I'm thinking in the Harrisburg/Carlisle area. I just had the handheld with me.

I went to the ARRL site to look up test locations, and the closest to me was Vestal, NY. That's where I am going to take it.

The 11 meter (CB) band has been booming during the day. Last week I talked to Birmingham, England and Ireland on 12 watts in my mobile! The problem is the yo yos that just want to get on there and make it miserable for people trying to have fun. 

Ok gotcha that's what I assumed but still need to explore that area. 

I thought I saw that local clubs could also test you? Maybe that is outdated or not done anymore I am not sure. I am going to actually buy a practice book and really start learning. Hopefully I'll be fully prepared soon. Good luck!

I definitely had no idea! I have a older model uniden 401 pro and never would've thought it could go anywhere near that. I used to listen to cb when I lived in Baltimore and everyone just pushed as many watts as possible, pushing everyone (including others at the same meet!) Around and making it miserable. I would hope it would've gotten better!

ARRL is not the only organization recognized as a testing organization, although they might be the largest in the USA. There are 14 Volunteer Exam Coordinators recognized by the FCC  

I’m a volunteer examiner for the Laurel VEC.  They have a lot of test locations every month. 
Check their schedule at LaurelVEC.com. Click on “Exam Schedule” on the left. 

3 hours ago, Sshannon said:

ARRL is not the only organization recognized as a testing organization, although they might be the largest in the USA. There are 14 Volunteer Exam Coordinators recognized by the FCC  

I’m a volunteer examiner for the Laurel VEC.  They have a lot of test locations every month. 
Check their schedule at LaurelVEC.com. Click on “Exam Schedule” on the left. 

Good info there. thank you! I saved the site to my favorites. I am going to the Vestal, NY one on the 19th.

I contacted them, he said GMRS FRN # doesn't work, he said they had a problem with one last month, so I got another one.

4 hours ago, WRWQ761 said:

I thought I saw that local clubs could also test you? Maybe that is outdated or not done anymore I am not sure. I am going to actually buy a practice book and really start learning. Hopefully I'll be fully prepared soon. Good luck!

I definitely had no idea! I have a older model uniden 401 pro and never would've thought it could go anywhere near that. I used to listen to cb when I lived in Baltimore and everyone just pushed as many watts as possible, pushing everyone (including others at the same meet!) Around and making it miserable. I would hope it would've gotten better!

Thanks! There are plenty of places online to take actual practice tests. Yes, unfortunately the guys running high power are out there still annoying people. ?

I belong to the South Central PA GMRS Group in Mount Holly Springs, PA and Hanover, PA

We have a Local NET call in on Wednesdays on the MT HOLLY 625 Repeater RX: 462.62500 & TX: 467.62500 This may be the repeater you hear the range is almost to Hagerstown. You can contact John or Kathy on the SCPA GMRS Group page on FB

The Hanover 725 Repeater is out of range even for me with a portable but the 50W mobile as my Base picks it up just fine.

73's

Michael (WRWR399)

Excellent info thank you sShannon! Yes oddly enough I cannot connect to the Mt Holly repeater for whatever reason. I actually hit Towson today and Frostburg so excited about that. I am unaware about Hanover so will be trying that next! Shout out to Winchester repeater and that group! That is one strong repeater and I can hit that day and night. My base right now is 20 watts. I wanted the 50 but with going to ham soon I know that's a money rabbit hole especially with how much I like my antennas! Just got a new truck and already have 4 on that! The wife LOVES EM haha

I have been having pretty good luck with repeaters recently. I can hit Hanover fairly easily and any time during the day. Yes Cumberland I can hit also again mostly all the time! I personally, have never heard anyone on it though unfortunately. I am trying to figure out how to have a local meet up. I understand the clubs and all that but just wanted to meet at a park or something and just chat radios. I literally have no one to talk to about this stuff and ask questions. I (daily) multiple times a day check Winchester and hear people sometimes but have only actually chatted once! I am very much looking forward to having more conversations on air!