Weird cable that comes with a VU9G

WRWT868

Question

This afternoon I received a UV9G in the mail, it's charging now, but I have a question. It came with a cable which has a USB connector on one end, the other end of the cable a roundish connector with a small whole through it and three very small golden dots just before that end. What is this cable for? How is it used? How do you connect it to the radio?

The cable in the bag on the very left...

uv-9g

17 answers to this question

1 minute ago, WRWT868 said:

It came with a cable which has a USB connector on one end, the other end of the cable a roundish connector with a small whole through it and three very small golden dots just before that end. What is this cable for? How is it used? How do you connect it to the radio?

That's the programming cable.  I believe there is a cover on the right side of the radio that must be removed (or loosened) for it to attach to the radio.

9 minutes ago, WRWT868 said:

After a little research, I determined yes you are correct it is the programming cable and yes unscrewing a panel on the right side of the radio exposes a connector port of sorts, but I'm still confused on how to connect the cable to the port

It uses the same screw (they should have sent an extra) as the cover does. They did this to maintain the waterproof IP67 rating. 

3 minutes ago, OffRoaderX said:

The refrigerator.. They always jump under the refrigerator...

Yep, had it bounce on the floor, roll under the couch. Anyone know what size and pitch it is, I'll just get a couple and keep one in the door and another in the cable otherwise that screw isn't going to last 24 hours... What a hooky set up..

54 minutes ago, WRWT868 said:

Yep, had it bounce on the floor, roll under the couch. Anyone know what size and pitch it is, I'll just get a couple and keep one in the door and another in the cable otherwise that screw isn't going to last 24 hours... What a hooky set up..

Just match to the screw you still have in the dust cover -- after all, a generic match may be too long and cause damage to the radio internals.

Personally, I'm a bit surprised it just slipped out of the programming cable connector. I /think/ the radios I have using that style cover have screws with a blank section under the head, and have to be threaded through the cover (the blank section is undersized enough to let the screw continue turning, so one can make the attachment).

6 hours ago, WRWT868 said:

How about a quick sweep under the couch for the screw?

https://www.amazon.com/Telescopic-magnetic-pick-up-lanyard-suction/dp/B081H92J68/

11 hours ago, OffRoaderX said:

The refrigerator.. They always jump under the refrigerator...

I've also found that dropped screws defy the laws of physics. If you drop one from three feet, it bounces 18 feet. And when you're looking for it, you won't find it, but you'll find the one you dropped last year.

2 hours ago, WRQC527 said:

I've also found that dropped screws defy the laws of physics. If you drop one from three feet, it bounces 18 feet. And when you're looking for it, you won't find it, but you'll find the one you dropped last year.

Tiny screws you drop on the floor almost always seem to roll under the table, chair or cabinet where you can't reach it. And if the part is plastic you typically step on it first, then it breaks and that's when you find it, under your foot.

16 hours ago, WRWT868 said:

M2.5x0.45 is what I’ve seen 

source

https://coderedheadsets.com/content/manuals/TB_Baofeng_UV_9R.pdf

17 hours ago, WRWT868 said:

If you can't find it take the radio to a local home improvement, try Home Depot or Lowes.  They have a good selection of fastener hardware, many in metric. If it looks like it might fit try one out in the radio to see if it screws in without jamming. If it does and it's a bit too long you can sand/grind off the excess length.

16 minutes ago, Lscott said:

If you can't find it take the radio to a local home improvement, try Home Depot or Lowes.  They have a good selection of fastener hardware, many in metric. If it looks like it might fit try one out in the radio to see if it screws in without jamming. If it does and it's a bit too long you can sand/grind off the excess length.

My local home depot has it in stock, alternately you can find a four pack of thumb screws in M2.5 on Amazon for $6

HARFINGTON 4pcs Vernier Calipers Locking Screws M2.5x8mm Round Flat Head Knurled Thumb Knob Bolts https://a.co/d/eQVljlR

1 hour ago, WRWT868 said:

Thank you, that is exactly the info I needed. 

No problem, I have them sitting in my cart atm. To retain them better, with the screw removed put a small dab of silicone or rtv in the pin side of the screw hole. Use a tooth pick to poke a small hole in the rtv as it dries for the screw. 

If you need you could also use a dremel to slot the top of the screw for easier installs.