Daiwa CN-901 SWR & Power Meter

marcspaz

After @OffRoaderX posted a thread asking about a good meter, I start doing some research.  After looking into some real-world experiences and consulting with some pros, I bought a new Daiwa CN-901.  I have to say, this meter is fantastic.  I like it so much, that I am seriously considering replacing my Swan with a 2,000w HF version of this meter.

I got it home and did some testing, comparing it to my other meters.  I compared it to a Diamond and a Bird and it looks to be significantly more accurate than the Diamond. 

This unit is usable in passive mode in RMS Power/SWR mode in a 20w or 200w scale.  On 13.8vdc, the unit will measure PEP and can be illuminated.  I like the cross-needle function, with a large display and it provides a good amount of light.  You can turn the meter off, using it in bypass mode.  It's tucked into a nice size package, so you don't give up much desktop surface.  The frame is wrapped in rubber dampeners which helps reduce damage due to mechanical shock.

It's simple operation, positive feedback on the controls, large easy to read face and a price just under $200... this unit is a winner.

Light on.

20230418_172326.thumb.jpg.870c190662bac5ceeb5b4d38264fa1f7.jpg

Light Off.

20230418_172340.thumb.jpg.8c7f664d32ec2554a48ea144cbbccf05.jpg

Back.

20230418_172400.thumb.jpg.ac3388d5f9e7aa5048629964947fabc0.jpg

Cool I hope it does what you need and proves to be accurate and reliable. I looked at those but did not see a model that measured below one watt. I want one that will measure SWR on HT's on low power. The only one I could find is the MFJ 884. It reads down to .1 watt up to 200 watts HF/VHF/UHF so should cover all my needs.

Was recommended to me by Sshannon (thanks Steve) I just ordered it. So hopping it will do what I need. This will be my first SWR/power meter so will need to learn how to use it.

15 minutes ago, WRWE456 said:

Cool I hope it does what you need and proves to be accurate and reliable. I looked at those but did not see a model that measured below one watt. I want one that will measure SWR on HT's on low power. The only one I could find is the MFJ 884. It reads down to .1 watt up to 200 watts HF/VHF/UHF so should cover all my needs.

Was recommended to me by Sshannon (thanks Steve) I just ordered it. So hopping it will do what I need. This will be my first SWR/power meter so will need to learn how to use it.

You’re sure welcome! Thanks for the shoutout.

The learning curve is very shallow and short.  You’ll enjoy it.  It’s nothing fancy, but it appears to work.

We just got home from our trip yesterday and I forgot that I promised someone that I would scan the specs in the instructions (assuming I can find them - I’ve had them longer than 20 minutes which is how long it takes me to lose shit).