General Radio Programming Query

WRUX266

When you folks program your radios with the GMRS/FRS frequencies, do you include a "default" PL encode tone? I have seen some GMRS basic info pages that talk about using encode PL 67.0 on channels 1-14, since if an FRS radio comes preprogrammed with a tone, it is probably 67.0, or Tone 1. Likewise, they also suggest programming encode PL 141.3 for channels 15-22, since (as they argue) this is the defacto PL most used by GMRS users. 

For amateur radio work, I never program PL tones for simplex channels, although I see why GMRS users might do so (decode) to keep the FRS blister pack kids out of your receive. I'm just of the mindset that if I can hear it, I want to option to talk to it (or ignore it).

Thoughts?

No. And I dont know anyone that does. There is no "defacto PL" for simplex use - and if someone claims that there is one, nobody that I know has ever heard about it.  

I'm sure that "some people" will leave 10-paragraph long reply explaining why they might do it, but IMO, they do not speak for all of the normal people out there.

5 hours ago, WRUX266 said:

I have seen some GMRS basic info pages that talk about using encode PL 67.0 on channels 1-14, since if an FRS radio comes preprogrammed with a tone, it is probably 67.0, or Tone 1. Likewise, they also suggest programming encode PL 141.3 for channels 15-22, since (as they argue) this is the defacto PL most used by GMRS users.

Your are reading the wrong pages :)

I have the FRS freqs programmed in my portables because they are used by a couple of my car clubs at the racing events for operations and I use my portables instead of the Club's little itty bitty CCR FRS radios.  For my in-car radio communications while I am on the track, I use Part 90 business radio service freqs, and some of my channels are used in the Astro Digital mode.  My mobiles are not programmed with FRS freqs.

My portables and mobiles are programmed with the eight GMRS freqs.  I do encode 141.3 Hz just in case because that tone being the travel tone but, I run the receiver on carrier squelch.  When I travel I do scan the eight GMRS freqs.

On 5/2/2023 at 10:25 PM, nokones said:

My portables and mobiles are programmed with the eight GMRS freqs.  I do encode 141.3 Hz just in case because that tone being the travel tone but, I run the receiver on carrier squelch.  When I travel I do scan the eight GMRS freqs.

FYI: The first seven interstitials (462MHz) were GMRS frequencies before FRS ever existed. They were allowed up to 5W (HT power range) and (w)FM, and interchangeable antennas. They were available for use by any GMRS license -- the eight MAIN frequency pairs (simplex/repeater) were allowed up to 50W but... A GMRS license could only specify up to two such pairs. That restriction (of specifying which two pairs on the license) went away around 1999.

FRS originally was only allowed 0.5W ERP, NFM, and fixed antenna on those frequencies, AND was permitted the 467MHz interstitials with the same limits.

With the 2017 reorganization -- GMRS retained (w)FM and 5W power on the 462MHz interstitials, 50W power on the main (pairs), and gained access to the 467MHz interstitials at 0.5W ERP NFM. FRS was given access to the eight main 462MHz frequencies (but NOT the 467MHz repeater inputs), the 467MHz interstitials remained 0.5W NFM, but all other frequencies were boosted to 2W NFM (and fixed antenna).

So... Prior to 2017 FRS had 14 frequencies, seven shared with GMRS. GMRS had 23 frequencies (when counting repeater inputs separately), seven shared with FRS. Under current regulations FRS has 22 frequencies ALL shared with GMRS; GMRS has 30 frequencies (again, when counting repeater inputs separately), 22 shared with FRS.

I scan a lot so I leave the PL tones off....wouldn't want to filter out some neighborhood entertainment.  A lot of the kids around here have FRS radios and apparently a endless supply of batteries.  It gets pretty hilarious to listen to from time to time.  Indy 600 is my priority channel so when it has traffic it's in charge. 

Oh and a question....what the heck is a interstitial?  

"Mr. Radioguy I am sorry to have to tell you that diagnostic review of your never ending symptoms, indicate a subdural edema of the left lower interstitial fibroid jabasscopian nerve channel.  Certain expensive, yet usually not successful, treatments will need to begin immediately." 

"Oh and a question....what the heck is a interstitial?"

It means in between two main allocated GMRS channel a.k.a. splitter channel. The two main GMRS channels 462.550 and 462.575 MHzs would have a splitter channel 12.5 KHz off the two aforementioned main channels thus, 462.5625 MHz. That is why the FRS channels are only 12.5 KHz wide.

16 minutes ago, nokones said:

"Oh and a question....what the heck is a interstitial?"

It means in between two main allocated GMRS channel a.k.a. splitter channel. The two main GMRS channels 462.550 and 462.575 MHzs would have a splitter channel 12.5 KHz off the two aforementioned main channels thus, 462.5625 MHz. That is why the FRS channels are only 12.5 KHz wide.

Well that explains that.  I never knew what it meant.  Thanks