Kg-1000g+ mounted in a ‘17 Sierra

AdamLindsay

Question

Good afternoon! I am close to pulling the trigger on upgrading my mobile unit to a kg-1000g+ and have some major vehicle interference issues with the sierra pickup. 
both my current mobile(midland mxt275) and my two HT’s(kg805 and kg935+) display interference from the dash and center console. 

Most noticeable, while driving and am in transmit range of the puget sounds most active repeater, all three radios show the issue. It effects my tx transmission into the repeater and other operators tell me that I am all broken up!

Please note that this is with only one or two repeaters in the region. 

Once i decide to purchase the 1000, I currently plan to mount the radio under the rear seat and the head unit on the dash to a proclip fit to fit to dash mount(directly above the screen). From what I figure, when sitting in the backseat, the interference is minimal at best. 

When I bought my truck, there was no stock jack(tire changing jack) under the rear right seat. And since I keep a bottle jack in the tool bag in the back, I have a nice flat metal plate to mount the radio to. I don’t think mounting anywhere near the dash or center console is going to work. Also, there is not a lot of space under my front seats.  

I guess my question(s) is, does this seem like a suitable mounting location for the radio? I use a hood mounted NMO for the antenna  

Is the location directly above the center screen a good location for the had unit? Any known issues with nighttime driving or bright sunlight?

Any products are out there to accommodate vehicle produced interference?  Especially newer vehicles as when I had my 2010 f150, this didn’t seem to be a problem…

Cheers, Adam WRJJ849 

4 answers to this question

Two things stand out to me. 1st why do you have the mic clipped on the antenna? That almost certainly can only negatively effect it's performance.

2nd Does it do that when an external antenna is connected? I can get some interference on my KG935G+ if I do the same thing with the rubber ducky on it. Move it a few inches away from the dash and it stops. That's in an 98 Ranger. No issue with roof top antenna connected.  There are so many electronics in modern cars it's not surprising. Most of the time just a little distance is all that's needed.

Thanks for the response, I happened to have the mic on the antenna at the time but while driving the mic is usually clipped to my seat belt at chest level. 

and for the second question, no I have not tried with out an antenna attached. But I can say that the 805g radio has a stock antenna and suffers from this and with the stock antenna on the new 935g+ it does as well. 

I went 20 years (until I rolled the Jeep Cherokee) with a Yeasu FT-100 (HF/6/2/70) main unit located under the passenger seat using double-sided CARPET TAPE. The control head was remote mounted just under the parking brake hand-lever (enough clearance that all buttons could be seen and manipulated). The key feature was that I ran the power cable directly to the battery (out from under the seat, under the running board, up the kick-panel, around the door gasket and through the outer fender -- this was a No-Hole mounting all the way).

I'd expect lots of noise potential from a rubber duck located inside a vehicle, especially one with half a dozen displays running who knows what frequencies (ARM-based embedded controllers tend to have clocks running from 50-200MHz, start adding harmonics and intermod/heterodyning and you could have lots of potential signals to contend with).

On 5/20/2023 at 8:13 PM, AdamLindsay said:

Thanks for the response, I happened to have the mic on the antenna at the time but while driving the mic is usually clipped to my seat belt at chest level. 

and for the second question, no I have not tried with out an antenna attached. But I can say that the 805g radio has a stock antenna and suffers from this and with the stock antenna on the new 935g+ it does as well. 

He wasn't suggesting trying with no antenna, but rather and external antenna, one mounted outside the vehicle, on the roof or elsewhere, replacing the radio mounted rubber ducky antenna.