Crazy burst of GMRS development

Blaise

2 hours ago, back4more70 said:

I don't know if the article is intentionally or unintentionally hilarious

From the looks of things I would say they are serious.

However I'm shocked these people will bet their life on a cheap $25 Chinese radio. It's not like they went around begging for free radio handouts. From the money they spent on the weapons etc. they certainly can afford better quality radio gear. At least get something with good encryption, like AES256, if they're worried about the government spying on them. A cheap UV-5R isn't it.🤪

28 minutes ago, Lscott said:

However I'm shocked these people will bet their life on a cheap $25 Chinese radio. It's not like they went around begging for free radio handouts. From the money they spent on the weapons etc. they certainly can afford better quality radio gear. At least get something with good encryption, like AES256, if they're worried about the government spying on them. A cheap UV-5R isn't it.🤪

They probably spent so much on weapons & etc that Baofengs are all that they can afford with what they have left

7 hours ago, Lscott said:

That's cool. Looks like you're primarily a Motorola guy. I have a few XPR-6550's and XPR-6580 (CPS hacked to put it on 33cm band). You check my album out you can see my collection.

I forgot to include my EVX-R70-G40 Repeater Station. It's really a Motorola XPR8400.

3 hours ago, nokones said:

An earpiece wire kit with a molded ear insert would also help to impress the chicks.

All kidding aside I like the “D-Ring” ear hanger type better. Nothing to stick in your ear and my experience the sound quality is much better.

IMG_3976.jpeg

20230609_051055.thumb.jpg.5e7d9ce4e733800786568bd401521482.jpg

8 hours ago, Lscott said:

All kidding aside I like the “D-Ring” ear hanger type better. Nothing to stick in your ear and my experience the sound quality is much better.

IMG_3976.jpeg

The Earclip was uncomfortable for me after wearing it for 10-12 hours. It always felt that the edge of my Ear was being pinched. The curly clear tube and molded earmold was a lot more comfortable for me for 10-12 hours.

20230609_050814.thumb.jpg.f18f933acf799f814c7f8d675b190d5f.jpg

1 minute ago, nokones said:

That's the heavy duty wire kit.

That fits several model Kenwood radios I have. Those use the universal connector side port. The rest of them use the typical "K" type connector you see on the cheap Chinese radios.

The universal connector is billed as being pretty much water proof compared to the "K" style. The negative with the universal connector is one of the pins can be energized with 5VDC which is used for some of the GPS and noise canceling enabled microphones. If you're not using an external speaker mike you need to have the side cover installed or you could short out the pins and wreck the radio.

15 minutes ago, nokones said:

20230609_051055.thumb.jpg.5e7d9ce4e733800786568bd401521482.jpg

The Earclip was uncomfortable for me after wearing it for 10-12 hours. It always felt that the edge of my Ear was being pinched. The curly clear tube and molded earmold was a lot more comfortable for me for 10-12 hours.

20230609_050814.thumb.jpg.f18f933acf799f814c7f8d675b190d5f.jpg

I don't care much for anything that sticks in my ear either. Mine are rather sensitive. After a few hours the ear starts to hurt a lot where the insert is located.

The "D-Ring" is comfortable to wear for long periods. I don't much care for the lapel mike location. I have another ear headset that is a multi wire design. There is a long wire you run down your sleeve. The mike and PTT are on that. 

Otto KHS-11BL - 2 Wire.jpg