New Wouxun KG-Q10H Quad Band Amateur HT

WRWE456

Buy Two Way Radios has this new radio available now. From their ad "The KG-Q10H is a quad bander with a superheterodyne receiver, capable of transmitting on the 1.25 meter, 2 meter, 6 meter and 70cm ham bands" Looks interesting but I am not a ham. Just wondering what those of you that are ham's think of this idea. (I'm sure it's not a new Idea) Comes with two antennas to cover the bands. https://www.buytwowayradios.com/wouxun-kg-q10h.html

Edited by WRWE456
spelling

14 minutes ago, WRWE456 said:

Buy Two Way Radios has this new radio available now. From their ad "The KG-Q10H is a quad bander with a superheterodyne receiver, capable of transmitting on the 1.25 meter, 2 meter, 6 meter and 70cm ham bands" Looks interesting but I am not a ham. Just wondering what those of you that are ham's think of this idea. (I'm sure it's not a new Idea) Comes with two antennas to cover the bands. https://www.buytwowayradios.com/wouxun-kg-q10h.html

There have been a few tri-band radios.  The Yaesu VX6 is an excellent example of a hardened tri-band handheld for just $30 more.  The addition of 6 meters to the Wouxun is an interesting twist, but the need to change the antenna could be confusing in actual use.  I wouldn’t mind trying it, but without knowing more, if given the choice I would buy the Yaesu VX6.

Is it just me or is Wouxon's use of colors making their radios look like toys ?!?

I really like colors but the way that those radios are using color accents seems to create a "cheap" and "toy like" look.

(But maybe, it's just the picture and I am simply not tolerant enough?!?)

In any case, the notion that ...

3 hours ago, Sshannon said:

... the need to change the antenna could be confusing in actual use ...

... addresses an important concern ! 

12 hours ago, Sshannon said:

There have been a few tri-band radios.  The Yaesu VX6 is an excellent example of a hardened tri-band handheld for just $30 more.  The addition of 6 meters to the Wouxun is an interesting twist, but the need to change the antenna could be confusing in actual use.  I wouldn’t mind trying it, but without knowing more, if given the choice I would buy the Yaesu VX6.

http://www.eagle-antenna.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=70&products_id=282

So there's at least one quad-band antenna that will work with it.

The 6m band is more interesting to me than the 1.25m band.  It's not that I'm opposed to operating on 222MHz, but I don't see 1.25m offering anything that I couldn't get with a dual-bander 2m o4r 70cm.  6m offers range and possibly nearly HF range if solar conditions are right.

EDIT: yes, it's an HT, but I have used an HT with a roof-mount antenna for more results than just handheld.

9 hours ago, WRXD372 said:

Is it just me or is Wouxon's use of colors making their radios look like toys ?!?

I really like colors but the way that those radios are using color accents seems to create a "cheap" and "toy like" look.

(But maybe, it's just the picture and I am simply not tolerant enough?!?)

In any case, the notion that ...

... addresses an important concern ! 

What I have noticed is the use of colors in their radios seems to be consistent with the waterproof IP67 radios. I would say in this situation being able to see your radio as it falls into water makes sense. Disclaimer, I have the Wouxun KG-S88G… in gray/black 😂

27 minutes ago, WRUU653 said:

[...] I have the Wouxun KG-S88G… in gray/black 😂

I CONFESS !!!

I own the Baofeng GMRS-9R in

• Black
  • Red
  • Orange
  • Yellow
  • Green

Like I mentioned: I like colors !!!

... did I tell you that my wife is MEGA tolerant ?!?

On 7/3/2023 at 10:04 AM, axorlov said:

Like many 3-band HT's, this one has reduced power on 1.25m. However, 3W is better than Yaesu's 1.5W. If I was in the mood to buy 1.25m radio, I'd go with Wouxun.

If didn't already have both of the extra bands covered, i'd be highly tempted...BUT...i gambled on an untested VX-7R someone picked up from a SK estate, which works well, just needed a new battery, which checks off 6m (and actually has 1.25m too, at reduced power). on the 1.25m side, i went Wouxun, with the UV7D covering 1.25m and 2m (they also offer a 2m/6m version).

20 hours ago, WRXN668 said:

http://www.eagle-antenna.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=70&products_id=282

So there's at least one quad-band antenna that will work with it.

The 6m band is more interesting to me than the 1.25m band.  It's not that I'm opposed to operating on 222MHz, but I don't see 1.25m offering anything that I couldn't get with a dual-bander 2m o4r 70cm.  6m offers range and possibly nearly HF range if solar conditions are right.

EDIT: yes, it's an HT, but I have used an HT with a roof-mount antenna for more results than just handheld.

Diamond makes a quad band mobile as well, which looks very similar to that Harvest. edit: brain fart, the diamond is 10/6/2/70cm, no 1.25m there.

Edited by wayoverthere
i was wrong

36 minutes ago, WRXD372 said:

I CONFESS !!!

I own the Baofeng GMRS-9R in

• Black
  • Red
  • Orange
  • Yellow
  • Green

Like I mentioned: I like colors !!!

... did I tell you that my wife is MEGA tolerant ?!?

Yeah, mine too. 😀 

That’s a lot of colors. 🤣

I gotta step up my game 😂 

but which color? Blue or green? 🤔

Oddly, while Kenwood's discontinued F6A and D74A manage "full" power on 2m, 1.25m, and 70cm, Kenwood never incorporated 6m into the mix (the F6A /receive/ however was 100kHz [3000m or 3km] to 1.3GHz, less cell phone band)

Yeasu's VX8-DR is really a 6m, 2m, 70cm unit with 1.25m shoehorned into it -- but at flea power.

21 hours ago, KAF6045 said:

Oddly, while Kenwood's discontinued F6A and D74A manage "full" power on 2m, 1.25m, and 70cm, Kenwood never incorporated 6m into the mix (the F6A /receive/ however was 100kHz [3000m or 3km] to 1.3GHz, less cell phone band)

Yeasu's VX8-DR is really a 6m, 2m, 70cm unit with 1.25m shoehorned into it -- but at flea power.

IMHO having 6M TX in an HT is a bit useless. You really can't put a decent antenna for that band on such a small radio. There just isn't enough of a ground plane. A loaded 1/4 wave antenna, to keep the length reasonable, is very inefficient. Also from my experience the band is mostly dead unless there is a band opening. Then most of the activity is SSB anyway. 

I think Kenwood got it right with including 2M, 1.25M and 70cm in one radio. However I would have preferred DMR over D_Star in the new TH-D75A. Being most new radios are DSP designs, including the CODECS, offering two different firmware options for the radio would make it appealing to a wider customer base. They have the technology to do it, on the commercial side at least. For example the NX-1000 series offer either FM with NXDN, or FM with DMR depending on which firmware is loaded into the radio.  

6 hours ago, Lscott said:

I think Kenwood got it right with including 2M, 1.25M and 70cm in one radio. However I would have preferred DMR over D_Star in the new TH-D75A. Being most new radios are DSP designs, including the CODECS, offering two different firmware options for the radio would make it appealing to a wider customer base. They have the technology to do it, on the commercial side at least. For example the NX-1000 series offer either FM with NXDN, or FM with DMR depending on which firmware is loaded into the radio.  

I suspect 95% of the D75A is a direct borrow from the D74A, especially the firmware. Hardware modifications hopefully improve the battery life. I have FOUR batteries for my D74 that I cycle through -- granted, I'm mainly using it /in/ the house near a DV-Mega/Pi-Star hotspot that is on a rather busy reflector, so the radio never really goes idle; when it would be idle the hotspot is likely running a DMR talkgroup which the D74 has to keep sampling to see if it is decodable. Easily go through two batteries in <12 hours.

Kenwood is the only competition Icom has in the D-Star world, and the D74 easily beats the recent Icom 52 model for features (I think it holds many more D-Star repeater definitions for the "find nearest" operation; has true packet APRS and a KISS-mode TNC vs Icom only supporting DPRS embedded in D-Star data packets.).

1 hour ago, KAF6045 said:

I suspect 95% of the D75A is a direct borrow from the D74A, especially the firmware. Hardware modifications hopefully improve the battery life. I have FOUR batteries for my D74 that I cycle through -- granted, I'm mainly using it /in/ the house near a DV-Mega/Pi-Star hotspot that is on a rather busy reflector, so the radio never really goes idle; when it would be idle the hotspot is likely running a DMR talkgroup which the D74 has to keep sampling to see if it is decodable. Easily go through two batteries in <12 hours.

Kenwood is the only competition Icom has in the D-Star world, and the D74 easily beats the recent Icom 52 model for features (I think it holds many more D-Star repeater definitions for the "find nearest" operation; has true packet APRS and a KISS-mode TNC vs Icom only supporting DPRS embedded in D-Star data packets.).

I would tend to agree. I’m sure they envision the market are those Hams that waited too long to buy the D74A. Judging by the absolutely insane prices people are asking, and likely some getting it, for the D74A on the used market they might be right.

43 minutes ago, Lscott said:

I would tend to agree. I’m sure they envision the market are those Hams that waited too long to buy the D74A. Judging by the absolutely insane prices people are asking, and likely some getting it, for the D74A on the used market they might be right.

Also, with the dropping of their ancient 2m-only FM HT, the D75A will be Kenwood's ONLY HT model available.

{I also need to retract my thought the D74 had more D-Star repeater memories -- manuals show 1500 for D74, 2500 for ID52... Might be that the D74 was much easier to control the import function or edit in a spreadsheet to get just areas of potential interest. And the KISS-mode TNC was a downgrade from their first radio with a TNC -- that one could be operated using just a terminal program on a computer to toggle CONV and CMD modes}

18 minutes ago, WRXE944 said:

If I could find a 6m/10m FM/SSB HT, I'd buy it in a NY minute! 

IC-705 - although not built as a traditional handheld, it has its own self contained battery and can be operated as a handheld. 
Pricey though. 
The Xiegu 6100 also fits the bill. 

8 hours ago, WRXE944 said:

The Icom is a bit bigger than I would prefer, but that Xiegu look handy! Thanks for the tip!

The Xiegu has a built in microphone as well. And a decent tuner and people making their own firmware!

Also, take a look at the Elecraft KX-2.  It’s small too, but doesn’t extend to 6m, although maybe transverters are available  

Edited to correct:  the KX2 doesn’t have transverters.  Its big (still small) brother, the KX3 covers 160-6 meters and has an available 4 meter or 2 meter transverter.

8 hours ago, WRXE944 said:

I'd love to see more 6 meter activity and if this HT helps drive it, all the more so!

There is a link above your post about a $63 HT antenna that covers 6 meters and hopefully the reviews are positive.

I just did a 550 mile trip (one way) and had 6m scanning all the time, including calling frequencies and every 6m repeater along the drive. I heard a few IDs, but zero activity sadly. 

7 minutes ago, WRXE944 said:

What were the beginning and end points of your trip?  Which 6m radio did you use?

NE Ohio to SE Tennessee. I was using my 705 with my Little Tarheel II with the TuneMatic controller. I decided to keep it on 6m this trip for simplicity. 

9 hours ago, WRXE944 said:

I'd love to see more 6 meter activity and if this HT helps drive it, all the more so!

There is a link above your post about a $63 HT antenna that covers 6 meters and hopefully the reviews are positive.

I don't believe Yeasu is making them any more but the FT-817, and the updated version FT-818, are multi band and multi mode QRP portable radios. You can still find them at various swaps. They aren't cheap even used.

I have the FT-817. I used it portable while travel while staying in hotel rooms with a portable antenna system. I usually asked for a room on the top floor for the height advantage and put the antenna near the window.

https://www.yaesu.com/downloadFile.cfm?FileID=618&FileCatID=154&FileName=FT-817.pdf&FileContentType=application%2Fpdf

7 hours ago, tweiss3 said:

I just did a 550 mile trip (one way) and had 6m scanning all the time, including calling frequencies and every 6m repeater along the drive. I heard a few IDs, but zero activity sadly. 

Sometimes that's a good thing.  If your intention is to communicate with only a predefined small group then a quiet band means not having to change frequencies.

15 hours ago, WRXE944 said:

Not an HT, and discontinued, but came with a shoulder strap/case: Yaesu FT-817ND 160m-6m, 2m, 70cm, and 5.1675MHz Alaska Emergency frequency AM/FM/SSB/Packet(no TNC in radio!). BNC rubber duck for 6m/2m/70cm on front/top, SO-239 connector for HF (and maybe the VHF can be directed to it) on back/bottom.

2 hours ago, WRXE944 said:

I purchased one of the 817's when they first came out and I was not successful with a good antenna and QRP.

Some years later I sold it on eBay and used the proceeds to buy my 857d, which I used for many years in a backpack and portable antenna I purchased on eBay for wonderful days in the sun!

It is now my "shack" rig.

I ran an Icom IC706GMKII mobile for a number of years in a van. That worked rather well. When the van got destroyed in a rear end accident I got another new one. It's never been used and still in the box. It has the MARS/CAP mod I believe.

The FT-817 hasn't been used in a few years. I need to program up the AT- D578UV III Plus with the Bluetooth remote speaker microphone and stick it in the new ride. Just been too lazy to do it.