A new question for a dummy

DOODAH502

Question

First, thanks to those that helped out the other day.  Much appreciated.

I have a new question.  This too is about repeaters, set up on a Wouxun KG-935G; when programming a repeater into your handset, would you load that in the repeater section or in the general channels?  Or somehow a mix?  I'm going to attempt to load a screenshot of what I'm attempting to do.

https://mygmrs.com/repeater/4940

10 answers to this question

24 minutes ago, DOODAH502 said:

First, thanks to those that helped out the other day.  Much appreciated.

I have a new question.  This too is about repeaters, set up on a Wouxun KG-935G; when programming a repeater into your handset, would you load that in the repeater section or in the general channels?  Or somehow a mix?  I'm going to attempt to load a screenshot of what I'm attempting to do.

https://mygmrs.com/repeater/4940

It’s easiest to put it in the repeater (channels 23-30) section.  All you have to do is select the correct channel and set the tone to match the repeater.  The offset is already programmed in.  

If you try to program it in the channels from 1-22, there’s no offset. Those channels are preconfigured for simplex, which is when both radios transmit and receive on the same channel.

If you have numerous repeaters you want to program you will have to program them into DIY (do it yourself) channels that typically exist above channel 30.  You will have to enter the frequencies, using the correct offset, and the tones.  It’s not difficult, as long as your radio supports that. (I’m pretty sure the 935 does. It’s highly recommended by folks who have one.)

As @Sshannon says. The repeater channels have the +5 offset already. So for this repeater channel 28 would be appropriate. While the 935 (great radio by the way) is fairly easy to program front panel you may find it’s even easier to use Chirp. I find it helps to see things in this format too. 

12 minutes ago, DOODAH502 said:

I use Chirp, but that doesn't tell me where I should put channels.  It allows me to make changes.  It's those changes that I need to know where to make; did that make sense?  

So in your original question you asked about placing a repeater into the “repeater section.”   My answer was based on the preprogrammed channels: 1-22 simplex and 23-30 repeater.

With Chirp, make the changes wherever they make sense to you and where they are allowed by Chirp.

3 hours ago, DOODAH502 said:

I use Chirp, but that doesn't tell me where I should put channels.  It allows me to make changes.  It's those changes that I need to know where to make; did that make sense?  

GMRS repeaters have a +5 offset. So the repeater you’re looking to program is 462.675. That means your radio will need to TX (transmit) on 467.675 and RX (receive) on 462.675. As @Sshannon mentioned repeater channels on your radio have the offset already set. You can see both the frequency of the channel and the offset in chirp. A repeater channel that matches the frequency of the repeater you want to program. That’s where you want to program your repeater. In this case channel 28, or 36 if you prefer and so on. 
image.thumb.jpeg.1fc98abd8a1a7c2993581e3879b2351e.jpeg

I'm still going to have minor issues going forward, but something fortunate occurred to me today.  When we first bought these radios and had received them; I misplaced mine at some point during the day.  We mutually decided that we should apply the 'two is one, one is none' adage and hopped online and bought another one which became our backup once I found mine later that same day.  All this time, it's been sitting in the box downstairs.  So I got it out, hooked it up to Chirp and downloaded the channels; printed that off, then grabbed mine and step by step, duplicated the OE channel list and re-uploaded that back into my handset.  Now, I'm currently (since I know them) working on putting in the repeater tones for the repeater I showed earlier.  Then at least for this repeater, I should be set.

Thank you all, again

WRUD380

Just for future reference you can download from one radio and upload the same file to another. No step by step needed. No printing out needed. If they are different makes and models you can copy the whole file and paste into the other radio file. Save a file for back up. When I download from the radio I’ll do it twice. That way I have one file to make my changes on and one I haven’t touched. If something doesn’t go right I can always go back to what I had before. Keep a copy of the most recent file on you computer. 

5 hours ago, WRUU653 said:

Just for future reference you can download from one radio and upload the same file to another.

This was my thinking until I read this just a moment ago:

"CHIRP reads the firmware version of the radio to compare it with the firmware version of the currently selected tab. This is because there are different Aux memory layouts in these radios. If you upload an image into a different radio than it was downloaded from, you run the risk of uploading an incompatible Aux memory layout that will cause undesired behavior (squelch won't open, radio won't scan, etc). So if the firmware versions don't exactly match, only small part of the Aux memory is uploaded.

Because of this, you should never directly upload an image from one radio into another radio even if the firmware versions are exactly the same. You should load a saved image from the source radio (or download from the source radio). Next you should download from the target radio to create a compatible tab. Copy-and-paste the channels from the source radio tab to the target radio tab. Finally upload the target radio tab back into the target radio. This completely prevents corruption of the Aux memory area (along with its undesired behavior) by overwriting it with incompatible data from another radio."

See note 11 from Brogdan N. at https://chirp.danplanet.com/issues/10505

14 minutes ago, WRXB215 said:

"CHIRP reads the firmware version of the radio to compare it with the firmware version of the currently selected tab. This is because there are different Aux memory layouts in these radios. If you upload an image into a different radio than it was downloaded from, you run the risk of uploading an incompatible Aux memory layout that will cause undesired behavior (squelch won't open, radio won't scan, etc). So if the firmware versions don't exactly match, only small part of the Aux memory is uploaded.

Because of this, you should never directly upload an image from one radio into another radio even if the firmware versions are exactly the same. You should load a saved image from the source radio (or download from the source radio). Next you should download from the target radio to create a compatible tab. Copy-and-paste the channels from the source radio tab to the target radio tab. Finally upload the target radio tab back into the target radio. This completely prevents corruption of the Aux memory area (along with its undesired behavior) by overwriting it with incompatible data from another radio."

That's why it's recommended to read the new radio first and save that file. If the memory ever gets corrupted at least you have a good memory file to reload to get the radio functioning again. Any changes should be made to the original file then loaded into the radio.

1 hour ago, WRXB215 said:

Thanks @WRXB215 for keeping me straight there. Good info. I may have been making an assumption there as I haven’t done like radio to like radio. If I do I’ll definitely follow this protocol.
What I do is select everything I want to transfer in one radio file, copy and then paste it to another radio file then upload to the second radio. The file I’m uploading is however a file that was originally downloaded from the radio I’m uploading to. I do keep separate files and back ups for each of my radios. I have made mistakes before when getting in a hurry and back ups are worth every second it takes to download them.
It sounded like OP was going through and manually entering everything from a list he printed out from the first radio. I was trying to pass on that there’s no need to go through such a laborious process. Perhaps save him the trouble of that at least.