GMRS-9R cannot tx on gmrs15

Guest WRYG246

6 minutes ago, dogboy said:

I only have two PC's. One is my work computer (not going to put this software on that). The other is an old laptop that I have hanging around. Otherwise, I'm soly using Apple, and I think this software is only compatible with PC's. 

I'm sure you have heard it before, but you can run Windows on an Apple Mac using an emulator program such as Parallels.

9 minutes ago, dogboy said:

That may be what i am reduced to, if I can't get the old laptop fired up. 

Reduced? 

I am able to run Windows XP, Windows 10 and Windows 11 all on the same Mac.

Plus a little known secret is that 10 and 11 do not require authentication to actually run, reducing its cost substantially.  Although that means that Microsoft Support is not available, since I only use Windows to program my non-CHIRP radios, I really don't need their support.

Windows XP was included in a pre-Intel Mac version of SoftWindows that I purchased years ago, and I have used that licensed version ever since.

OK, I fired up the old Windows machine, and could not get the download to work. I suspect it is becausethat machine was running Windows 7. Yeah, it is pretty old. So, I'm looking into the app store for my MacBook. @WRYS709, you mentioned Parallels. Is that the one you would recommend for putting on the Mac to get this straightened out?

Nevermind. It looks like I'm dead in the water. My MacBook is too old, is not compatible with Parallels. So I guess I'm stuck without Ch. 15 on my UV-9G.

1 hour ago, dogboy said:

you mentioned Parallels. Is that the one you would recommend for putting on the Mac to get this straightened out?

Nevermind. It looks like I'm dead in the water. My MacBook is too old, is not compatible with Parallels.

Parallels is great and I use it on my M1 Mac to program all my radios.. If your Mac is too old for Parallels then it will probably run Boot Camp, which lets you run Windows directly/natively on your Mac so you should check that out to see if it will work on your MacBook.

1 hour ago, OffRoaderX said:

Parallels is great and I use it on my M1 Mac to program all my radios.. If your Mac is too old for Parallels then it will probably run Boot Camp, which lets you run Windows directly/natively on your Mac so you should check that out to see if it will work on your MacBook.

OK, I will look into that next. Thank you!

1 hour ago, WRYS709 said:

The windows issue may be irrelevant:

Reviewing this thread, @dogboy has the GMRS-9G and the software included above it a firmware update for the GMRS-9R.

Do we have confirmation from another member here that indeed, using this firmware will work on his 9G and not brick it?

I believe if you go back a page or so in this exact post, someone confirmed it worked for their uv-9g and uv-9r…..

As with any of this though… it’s all relative to the risk you yourself are willing to take to do this. 

Yeah.... I'm about to the point of just dropping the whole issue. I bought the UV-9G based on it having water and dust resistance, moreso that any of the other GMRS radios I have. It still carries with it that resistance, even without Ch. 15. WRYS709 seems to have some ideas that may work, that we're working on DM. But barring that working, I'm just not going to keep worrying about it. If I really REALLY need to xmit on 462.550, I have cheaper radios thta it won't kill me if they get wet. 

On 10/28/2023 at 3:56 PM, Tiercel said:

Well, The good news is that my response from Baofeng was shockingly quick.  I estimate less than 20 minutes.

The bad news is that they do not consider it their problem unless you bought your transceiver directly from them.  

I have never been happy with any Baofeng radio.  But that's just me.  We settled on GM-30's and they seem to do everything as advertised.  Which is rare in Chinese radios. 

Go to amazon, find the record of where you ordered the radio. Click "get help". It will start a conversation with a bot. Jump through the bot's hoops for a couple of questions to convince it you need a human from ABBREE.

Tell them your gmrs-9r has the channel 15 problem and you need the software.

They will ask for your email - but I think amazon filters emails in this chat system, so they will ask you to send a screenshot of your email. I typed my email into a text editor, bumped the font up so it would read nice and clear, and grabbed a screen. They responded very quickly with a link to download the software, which worked exactly as described in the video.

Both of my radios are working perfectly now.

Enjoy.

2 hours ago, WRZK961 said:

Go to amazon, find the record of where you ordered the radio. Click "get help". It will start a conversation with a bot. Jump through the bot's hoops for a couple of questions to convince it you need a human from ABBREE.

Tell them your gmrs-9r has the channel 15 problem and you need the software.

They will ask for your email - but I think amazon filters emails in this chat system, so they will ask you to send a screenshot of your email. I typed my email into a text editor, bumped the font up so it would read nice and clear, and grabbed a screen. They responded very quickly with a link to download the software, which worked exactly as described in the video.

Both of my radios are working perfectly now.

Enjoy.

The software they allowed you to download is or is not the same as the software linked to this earlier post in this thread:

On 11/23/2023 at 2:12 AM, WRYS709 said:

The software they allowed you to download is or is not the same as the software linked to this earlier post in this thread:

I am unable to download the file posted here earlier so I can't compare. The file I received from ABBREE has the following MD5: 8e75978d2509369668dc72a21e343a45

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest joelh1950
On 9/5/2023 at 11:47 AM, WRYN560 said:

Did anyone get this figured out?  I bought a pair of GMRS-9Rs and neither will transmit on GMRS channel 15.

I have two of the GMRS-9Rs and had the same problem .........could not transmit on channel 15 !  I ordered the cable 

and software for the HTs from RT Systems in LaGrange GA  and this fixed the problem !  Transmits on all the channels plus 

channel 15 !             ( BAO-GMRS9R Programing Software and USB-73 cable for the Baofeng GMRS-9R . )

• 1 month later...
Guest Abbree Website

The Abbree Website has a patch (GMRS-9R UPGRADE) if you go to their "Download/Upgrade" page, I haven't tried it yet. I haven't received my radios yet.

• 2 months later...

I have 2 Abbree GMRS-9Rs. I was aware of the Channel 15 No Tx, and that there was a upgrade fix when I bought the HTs. I didn't realize it would be so hard to find a English upgrade instructional video or the files. 

I found the Upgrade files on the Abbree Upgrade page. My Anti-Virus blocked the download. I don't read Chinese and the video seems to skip some of the steps.   I'm hoping someone has a easier solution to this problem. Thankz!!GMRS9Rupgrade.thumb.jpg.a87b424673a901de3b864120516894ce.jpg

From the Abbree web page: