The Radioddity GM-30

WRWW910

It is really such a personal thing and based on what you like and your use case. What constitutes "family use"? GMRS is a family or "group" based service, so that would be a given. But I think that even if you got very specific, it would still be a very personal decision.

I had that HT for a while and it transmitted when I pushed the PTT button. Nothing special about it. As you move up market, you get more organizational features, easier to program in the field, maybe water resistance features, charging features. In other words, a lot of things beyond mere speaking.

Something to think about. Why not get the UV-5R or the KG-S88G? If you could form an opinion about those two radios, it might make things more clear for you.

@WRWW910 I don't own one of those radios but if you are looking for something simple, it looks like it will do the job. If you are like some of us and want to program in every repeater known to man, it might get a little frustrating.

The description says "30 GMRS channels (repeater capable), 219 programmable scanner channels (RX only)"

A problem I have noticed is that even when a radio offers 200+ channels, only 8 can be programmed to transmit on repeaters, the rest can only receive. It doesn't make sense to me to have all those channels and not be able to transmit on them even when they are programmed with GMRS frequencies.

Just something to be aware of.

P.S. I have a UV-5R "GMRS" version and I can transmit on ALL 127 channels as long as they are programmed with GMRS frequencies.

9 minutes ago, WRXE944 said:

Yes and the replacement battery (now with USB-C direct charging) only cost me $16 @ Amazon!

I have nothing against the GM-30 it just isn’t my choice. Your argument against the radio I mention is flawed as in your stated scenario one wouldn’t need to replace the radio or the battery with the radio I mentioned and I don’t mind handing it over to family. I want them to have a good experience too. I’m the kind of guy that gives his wife the better steak. That’s just me. I also don’t leave ice tea or my radios in the car for two days but to each their own.  OP has options and depending on his needs now he has more info for an informed decision. 

16 hours ago, WRUU653 said:

I have nothing against the GM-30 it just isn’t my choice. Your argument against the radio I mention is flawed as in your stated scenario one wouldn’t need to replace the radio or the battery with the radio I mentioned and I don’t mind handing it over to family. I want them to have a good experience too. I’m the kind of guy that gives his wife the better steak. That’s just me. I also don’t leave ice tea or my radios in the car for two days but to each their own.  OP has options and depending on his needs now he has more info for an informed decision. 

I’m with you.  Give your loved ones good quality items.  They’ll appreciate the fact that you care.

A person’s life generally sucks if they go through it having such poor faith in their loved ones that they only trust them with the cheapest of things because they just know they’re going to lose them or break them.

“Honey, you’re just going to get scratches in it anyway so I’m getting you a gold plated ring rather than 14 karat.”

Guest WRYK453

I'm brand new to GMRS and just got the GM-30 after watching a number of videos including notarubicon. I'm getting great audio reports with it so far. I figured that it was sufficient HT to get my feet wet with and so far it meets my needs - as I learn more about GMRS, I may upgrade the radio down the road.

One nice feature for any radio you get is to be able to lock the keypad. We were using our radios earlier this year and I left my wife the KG-935G and I took the KG-S88G with me into the snow because of its IP67 rating. My wife was concerned she would mess something up on the 935. It has three different lock settings so I locked it so the only thing she could change was the volume. You might want to check what ever radio you decide on to see if has different lock settings.

On 8/23/2023 at 8:11 AM, Guest WRYK453 said:

I'm brand new to GMRS and just got the GM-30 after watching a number of videos including notarubicon. I'm getting great audio reports with it so far. I figured that it was sufficient HT to get my feet wet with and so far it meets my needs - as I learn more about GMRS, I may upgrade the radio down the road.

I have had a GM-30 since February, it's been a GREAT HT for us.  I monitor the local 2m repeaters with it, comes in handy when ta severe weather net is up and running.  I like the fact it receives MURS, I like the fact it is very easy to program with the FREE software from Radioddity, I like the way the wrist strap makes my bulging fat wrists look tiny, and I like the way it fits in my hand...and I like the fact it isn't a Baofeng. 

• 5 months later...
Guest Brandy2024

Hi yall

I have a lot of excellent equipment but ham radio people can be supportive or very negative if you don't have your ham licence so I know of at least 15 people that have gone to Gmrs for that reason .

Radiottiy gm 30 is excellent. Ordering 5 more today.  They work excellent 

On 8/21/2023 at 9:02 AM, WRWW910 said:

I am looking for an entry level GMRS HT for family use. The Radioddity GM-30 was recommended to me, any thoughts on this matter would be welcome.

I have 4 of them.

Good:

• Relatively sturdy - has survived drops that have killed other radios.
  • Good battery life.
  • USB-C Charging
  • Works with repeaters.
  • Very easy to program.
  • Can receive in VHF bands.

Bad

• Not waterproof/water resistant.
  • Not ideal for a "Set the Channel and Talk" type of end-user, too many controls on the keypad can bump you off channel or change a setting you don't want end-users messing with. This is not just a GM-30 issue, BTW - if you have "casual" user you want minimal controls. Channel/Volume/Squelch.
  • Receiver sensitivity can be a bit weird; too sensitive and not sensitive enough. Car-to-Car performance on the highway is surprisingly poor.

I prefer my Wouxun KG-905G, but that is much more expensive than the GM-30.

5 hours ago, UpperBucks said:
  • Not ideal for a "Set the Channel and Talk" type of end-user, too many controls on the keypad can bump you off channel or change a setting you don't want end-users messing with. This is not just a GM-30 issue, BTW - if you have "casual" user you want minimal controls. Channel/Volume/Squelch.

Have you tried activating the keypad lock?

Hi we have 7 gm 30, faultless and i live in hill country and getting 10 miles with no repeater, we only use 2 regularly i highly recommend them and very simple to use and there is a few of us thinking about putting repeaters up in the near future, one in canyon lake one in Johnson and one in Kingsland .

Carry that 90% of the time, other 10% FT3DR since i got the gm30, a lot of people have moved over to GMRS