Ribbit text messaging through VOX/manual ptt

WRDE563

Has anyone seen this or tried using it?

https://www.ribbitradio.org/#/

Ribbit, is a new digital text messaging mode for VHF/UHF simplex and repeater communication, leveraging the computing power, GPS, and touchscreen interface of modern smartphones to enhance the capabilities of a simple Handy Talkie (or mobile transceiver) without requiring a cable or additional hardware. Ribbit primary focus is on emergency communications when cellular connectivity is down.

Do I see this correctly ?!? We are back to the days of Acoustic Couplers but without the devices being mechanically linked ...

So now you only need a smartphone that is charged, has the app installed, and is constantly listening to your HT...

I what universe is it the better and more reliable option to add a tech component and an air gapped audio connection ...

Sounds like someone is trying to burn some research funding ?!?

However, I agree with one aspect - - if we are experiencing a catastrophe, please let it and everyone be silent 😇

I am not convinced !

1 hour ago, back4more70 said:

So if I want to communicate with someone, I need my cell phone and radio tied together somehow?  I was thinking at that point I would just use my radio and ignore my cell phone.

"Tied together" would actually make sense but this scheme is having the phone and the radio "yell" at each other and listen ...

33 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

I think maybe you guys are missing the point.  This is something that doesn’t rely on having the right cable for the right radio. It can be used with any radio. In an emergency situation you could set up a beacon using the cheapest radio and phone. 

Not missing the point but questioning the functioning in a real-life / emergency situation.

Beacon and Emergency sounds like a radio taped to a pole or tree with duct tape - - that to me negated a reliable audio connection between the radio and the phone.

It sounds like an "easy" option for any situation, but I question that it is.

The fact that I can set something like that up in a ham shack is not prove of concept for the intended use-case.

(Apart from the fact that my shack would have the right cable for the available hardware).

I guess what it boils down to is that I do not oppose the idea. But I do question the "marketing".

On 9/2/2023 at 5:21 PM, Sshannon said:

How did you think you would generate the text messages?

I was making a joke that I don't need to send text messages if I have my radio, I will just speak into the radio 😁

Or I guess I could just channel my inner Picard and encode a binary message in Data's positronic brain to be found a few centuries later...

4 hours ago, back4more70 said:

making a joke

In my personal experience, jokes here are a mixed bag. Five people will LOL, one person will write me a dead-serious technical service bulletin explaining the joke and why it's not really a joke. Also, my wife never types to generate text messages, she insists on voice-to-text. So I guess she's ahead of the Ribbit curve.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2023 at 2:56 PM, WRQC527 said:

In my personal experience, jokes here are a mixed bag. Five people will LOL, one person will write me a dead-serious technical service bulletin explaining the joke and why it's not really a joke. Also, my wife never types to generate text messages, she insists on voice-to-text. So I guess she's ahead of the Ribbit curve.

Jokes aren't just a mixed bag here...I find that jokes fall flat everywhere post Covid - people just take things way to serious nowadays. 

• 2 weeks later...

So I sent a link to a couple friends of mine in Washington state. One of them is really into EMCOMMs. Here’s what he said:

“Anyway, I was wrong in my initial assessment of this.  It's SO EASY to use on VHF/UHF and probably HF (if noise is low)  that it's a must have.”

• 4 months later...

I love Ribbit I even have my kids using it. so simple and works well. Totally worth the install and testing it out. It will win you over when you do. so fast to transmit just what you need. I do want to try it on HF to see what it can do for us over the 40m and 80m bands.

Since this topic has been semi-resurrected I have a question. If two radios are at the fringe of receiving signals to the point that voice is breaking up or coming in and out while receiving will the Ribbit signal be more receivable than voice? I know that a digital signal will often be stronger on fringes than analog voice. I don't know if I am articulating my question clearly but hopefully someone will get it.