Baofeng GM-15 Pro software

Guest Noel

I just bought a Baofeng GM-15 Pro radio on Amazon. I need programming software. Apparently only Baofeng has compatible programming software. Baofeng will not make it available unless Amazon bought the radio from Baofeng. Mine came from Abbree. So Baofeng will not sell me the programming software. CHIRP does not have it. Anyone know where I can get the software for Baofeng GM-15 Pro?

45 minutes ago, Guest Noel said:

I just bought a Baofeng GM-15 Pro radio on Amazon. I need programming software. Apparently only Baofeng has compatible programming software. Baofeng will not make it available unless Amazon bought the radio from Baofeng. Mine came from Abbree. So Baofeng will not sell me the programming software. CHIRP does not have it. Anyone know where I can get the software for Baofeng GM-15 Pro?

Did you ask Abree to get it for you?

This might help:

“After searching online forums, we found we could program our Baofeng GM-15 using the RadiOddity software for the GM-30, along with the Baofeng programming cable that came with our radio. We used the RadiOddity program to input in the transmit and receive tones (QT/DQT) for our local repeater and input a TX tone of 141.3 (a commonly used “travel tone”) for the rest of the repeater channels.”

from https://woofthebeatenpath.com/review-of-baofeng-gm-15-pro-gmrs-radio-and-setup/

• 3 months later...
19 minutes ago, WRYS709 said:

RT is known for quality software, but they charge $25 for software on a $30 HT; when the compatible Radioddity GM-30 software is a free download. 

If it increases enjoyment it might be worth it.  Especially for a person who has several of the same $30 HT, or who reprograms a radio frequently, or who wants to import automatically from Repeaterbook, spending $25 for the software might be worthwhile. Or even $49 to obtain a known-good data cable with the software.  Good software is sometimes worth the extra price.  Just something to consider.

• 2 months later...
On 12/14/2023 at 9:46 AM, Sshannon said:

If it increases enjoyment it might be worth it.  Especially for a person who has several of the same $30 HT, or who reprograms a radio frequently, or who wants to import automatically from Repeaterbook, spending $25 for the software might be worthwhile. Or even $49 to obtain a known-good data cable with the software.  Good software is sometimes worth the extra price.  Just something to consider.

I bought RT software to go with my new Yaesu-FTM6000R and it is terrific stuff.  If CHIRP doesn't work, I would take RT over the stock free offereings.

3 hours ago, Coffeemaker said:

The Radiodity GM-30 software is not fully compatible. It will not populate empty memory spots, ie it will not add new "channels".

Please elaborate; I am not sure what the points you are trying to make in the context of the Radioddity GM-30 software:

1) Not fully compatible with what?  

2) Where does it not let you add new channels?

I have the same GM-15 radios. The Radioddity software I used is GM30 v1.05 from their website. Works perfectly on my radios. I've added police and fire on DIY channels w/no issues. I bought the BTECH cable with the FTDI chip and Windows 10 recognized it without having to load any additional drivers.

Some users have reported issues after using the GM30 firmware update on the GM-15 Pro so I took their advice and didn't use it.

BTW. Get the GM 30 manual while you're there. It's well written and fully compatible with your GM-15.

4 hours ago, WSAQ406 said:

I know Chirp is not loved my everyone but can't you just get the cable and use chirp.

after all it is just a UV5R with less spurious emissions Right?

Made that mistake once with the UV5R GMRS locked version, using Chirp and bricked the radio. Apparently there was a software from Baofeng I had to use. 

On 2/27/2024 at 6:09 PM, WRYS709 said:

Please elaborate; I am not sure what the points you are trying to make in the context of the Radioddity GM-30 software:

1) Not fully compatible with what?  

2) Where does it not let you add new channels?

Chirp does not, yet, support the GM-15 Pro radios. 

Radioddity said "it is not fully compatible" in an email to me.  I was not able to edit the DIY channels with the GM-30 software.  I was also not able to add new channels in what appeared to be empty memory slots. 

With RT Systems software I can add receive frequencies all I want. 

I have 10 GM-15Pro radios to program for a group.  So I bought the RT Systems software intending to add new channels with Sq Tones for my group and leave all the others alone for monitoring.  Well, that didn't work either.  While troubleshooting on the phone with the nice lady from RT, we discovered the GM-15Pros are locked and will not transmit on any, other than the factory programmed memory channels.  My workaround is to take the .550 - .725 high power channels and edit them for the group.  I'll just have to use one of my better radios to monitor for other traffic on the frequency. 

The GM-15 radios are still rather decent and sound good.  They get full quieting into local repeaters AND are cheap enough that if you leave one on the roof and drive off, most folks can afford the loss. 

20 hours ago, Coffeemaker said:

Chirp does not, yet, support the GM-15 Pro radios. 

Radioddity said "it is not fully compatible" in an email to me.  I was not able to edit the DIY channels with the GM-30 software.  I was also not able to add new channels in what appeared to be empty memory slots. 

With RT Systems software I can add receive frequencies all I want. 

I have 10 GM-15Pro radios to program for a group.  So I bought the RT Systems software intending to add new channels with Sq Tones for my group and leave all the others alone for monitoring.  Well, that didn't work either.  While troubleshooting on the phone with the nice lady from RT, we discovered the GM-15Pros are locked and will not transmit on any, other than the factory programmed memory channels.  My workaround is to take the .550 - .725 high power channels and edit them for the group.  I'll just have to use one of my better radios to monitor for other traffic on the frequency. 

The GM-15 radios are still rather decent and sound good.  They get full quieting into local repeaters AND are cheap enough that if you leave one on the roof and drive off, most folks can afford the loss. 

Yes, I believe you are correct; those problems are locked into firmware as part of their FCC certification for Part 95E.

One solution, I believe, is the Baofeng UV-13Pro.  It is the Ham Radio version of the GM-15 and is open to GMRS frequencies.

As such I believe all channels are programmable.

If that is something that you are interested in, I have one here (I purchased it from AliExpress for about $20 including free shipping) and I could run the software and see if I can populate GMRS Repeaters on the other channels, as well.

I do not recall if Chirp supports this radio, but it would not surprise me if it doesn't.

10 hours ago, Coffeemaker said:

Yeah, so far Chirp doesn't support it.  All this seems odd.  I can add all the new transmit "channels" I want to my Wouxon radios. 

Wouxon price minus $35 is the cost of having all those features! Nothing odd about it...