joseph

Guest Doc

Hi Everyone,I have been a long time listener and would like to get into repeater GMRS talk. I need some direction on what steps to take to get  ,registered and get the ,,ETC.. Rich (WQEJ577) told me i could probably get som help on the forum.

Thanks in advance  Joe J

If I were starting again I would get a repeater capable handheld GMRS radio and just listen. You can learn a lot by just hearing what others are doing on air, both positive and negative. Get your GMRS license and just get on the air. If you have a friend or family member who is interested that is even better. GMRS is more of a utilitarian radio service than HAM and a lot of people use the service to just communicate with friends and family. Normally if someone on a repeater asks for a radio check they will get an answer. It certainly can't hurt to try. Most of all, try to have fun.

13 hours ago, Guest Doc said:

Hi Everyone,I have been a long time listener and would like to get into repeater GMRS talk.

Hi, Joe... welcome!  The first thing I would ask is, do you live in an area with a few active repeaters that you want to use or are you looking to create a repeater network? 

Getting active on existing repeaters can be fun, as long as there are people there to talk to.  Sometimes people are listening, but may not always be talking.  Once you are licensed and on the air, I would recommend speaking plainly as to what you are looking for on the air. Key up and say something like "This is Wxxx000, Marc, monitoring repeater X. Anyone available for a quick chat?"  You will be surprised how well that is received.

Typically, I discourage new people from building new repeaters for social use unless you get a little experience and tutoring in the basic principles.  That said, if that is where you want to go, we can point you in the right direction.

13 hours ago, Guest Doc said:

I need some direction on what steps to take to get  ,registered and get the ,,ETC..

You will need to get an account in the FCC Universal Licensing System, here... https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/universal-licensing-system.  There is some good information there.  However, a quick overview, the first thing you need to do is get a FRN from the FCC, which is free.  You can do that here...  https://apps.fcc.gov/cores/userLogin.do

image.png.e8faaf08659ca8fcd7bd55b551002ed1.png

image.thumb.png.d4f4d00e6daff8808f1ddb5b0aa01fb2.png

Once you have your FRN and login information, you would login to the license manager here, to request a license... https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsEntry/licManager/login.jsp

image.png.fa7b5419e84e25d01d2839eb64db32a7.png

Once logged in, you pick the 'Apply for a New License'.

image.png.89388bcf8ba6b842f799005dda76bab2.png

Select 'ZA - General Mobile Radio (GMRS)' and simply follow the directions to complete the application.

image.png.f56a653fd6a2fdb0ff615c539fe5dfb0.png

A general turn-around is 1 to 3 business days to get your license.  From there, if you don't have a repeater capable radio, I would shop around for one you like, that would reach the repeaters you want to use. 

One last note... while most repeaters are privately owned, many of them are open to use for all licensees.  For coordination, many owners use MyGMRS as a tool to invite operators to request access, which can be done through the main site.  You can go to https://mygmrs.com/ and select either 'Repeaters' and search through the list or select 'Map' to look at a geographical map of the US to find repeaters near you.  Once you find a system you want to use, you can submit a request and the owner or admin of the repeater will send you the information needed to get on the repeater.

Hope that helps.  Lets us know what other questions you may have.

- Marc

Hey, thanks for the reply , i dont want to build a repeter system just get on the air, is the Wouxun ,Kg 805 G  a good radio to start with, and thanks for the links, ill start working on that license''

Joe