So Cal myGMRSers - Who is in the Inland Empire Area I can talk with/test? 60 year old noob needs help -

DarrylLicht

6 minutes ago, WRYS709 said:

Daily nap time soon...

Did you do these two steps in Freq/VFO mode?

Push Menu, Push UP ARROW to SFT-D, Push Menu, Push Up Arrow to +, Push Menu, Push Exit

Push MENU, Push UP ARROW to OFFSET, Push MENU, Enter 005.000, Push MENU, Push Exit

Yes sir and with that 462.600  in the A position not B

12 minutes ago, DarrylLicht said:

That is the GMRS version so your life is going to be a lot easier getting repeaters set up. 
To set up the Inland Empire "Ranchino" repeater, start on Repeater 17/Channel 25 and enter the DTC TX tone 023. For a pro, this should take about 15 seconds to set up right on the keypad, no computer or cables needed.. For your first time, set aside at least an hour.

16 minutes ago, OffRoaderX said:

That is the GMRS version so your life is going to be a lot easier getting repeaters set up. 
To set up the Inland Empire "Ranchino" repeater, start on Repeater 17/Channel 25 and enter the DTC TX tone 023. For a pro, this should take about 15 seconds to set up right on the keypad, no computer or cables needed.. For your first time, set aside at least an hour.

Unfortunately there are only REPTR #s 1 to 8

CH 25 on this one is REPTR3 - according to the Appendix that equates to 462.600

Is that correct so far?

3 minutes ago, WRYS709 said:

I wanted to buy a UV-5R GMRS just to play with. 

i just didn’t want to buy two!

Use the refund on the DigiRig to buy a genuine Nagoya 771G with the proper SMA for that radio, to improve your range. 

Before I even got this msg the Nagoya 771G  is ordred!  I had also opted out of the DigiRig this AM! 

I believe you were pinging me earlier I heard "709" and "new guy with the baofeng"!  Just you could not hear me respond

3 minutes ago, WRYS709 said:

Not me!

I was listening on Zello but probably napping!

Musta been OffRoaderX then as he was active online at that time.

I wanted two for camping and hiking with the wife n grandkids.  We had an "incident" several years ago in J-tree, (kids went climbing and exploring, we all got separated I found kids and the wife didn't show up for several more hours).  Lesson learned and I wanted a way to keep in touch and teach the GKs.  Plus I am wanting to start going out on 4x4 group drives and they usually require a GMRS radio (scored a midland MTX275 for the truck).  Hell the 2 for the $44 special with all the accessories felt like a cheap investment.  Adding the antenna, extended batts, and the programming cable I'm still well under $200 total.

I'm no techno-phobe, taught Computer Science, PC repair, data communications, networking, etc for over 20 years.  I just might not be as quick to pick up as when i was 20... or 30... or 40!  Getting old sucks, but it sure beats the alternative!  BUT I WILL PICK THIS UP! 

Again, I want to thank you all for the wonderful help and support today.  

Tomorrow I will be in NFL mode, but I'll check in here.

7 minutes ago, DarrylLicht said:

Plus I am wanting to start going out on 4x4 group drives and they usually require a GMRS radio (scored a midland MTX275 for the truck).

In case you werent aware - anyone that runs into me while off-roading (IN the dirt, not on the streets!) gets a free GMRS radio! (while supplies last).  Just find me most saturdays anywhere between Anza Borrego and Randsburg, and unless I've already given away that days radio(s), you'll get one (IF you need one)

35 minutes ago, OffRoaderX said:

In case you werent aware - anyone that runs into me while off-roading (IN the dirt, not on the streets!) gets a free GMRS radio! (while supplies last).  Just find me most saturdays anywhere between Anza Borrego and Randsburg, and unless I've already given away that days radio(s), you'll get one (IF you need one)

LOL!  I think I am flush with radios now!