So Cal myGMRSers - Who is in the Inland Empire Area I can talk with/test? 60 year old noob needs help -

DarrylLicht

9 minutes ago, DarrylLicht said:

Q - Once I have entered the right DTC/DCS/DPL tone of:  D023 for this repeater, does it remain in memory after I turn the unit off?

Assuming you entered them on that channel, then, yes. That channel is now programmed for Ranchino.

On 9/17/2023 at 4:54 PM, OffRoaderX said:

Assuming you entered them on that channel, then, yes. That channel is now programmed for Ranchino.

Thanks for all the help Saturday OffRoaderX!
Is Ranchino the appropriate name for this Haven Peak repeater?  
Or is it known by another more common name locally?
I'm diving into Chirp, where I feel more comfortable visualizing all the settings and channels  cuz Im a tech geek!

25 minutes ago, DarrylLicht said:

Guess I didnt properly enter and save the settings for the repeater at 462.6000 as that line in Chirp showed nada for the Tone or DTCS columns.

Is this correct for Chirp?:
image.thumb.png.5528dae99aaa6ef82d0b25c0900764c0.png

I see DTCS and 023, and I heard you hitting the repeater, so I'd say it is correct.

4 hours ago, DarrylLicht said:

Is there a comprehensive list of all the repeaters and channels used in the San Gabriel, San Bernardino, Cleveland, and other Mountains, high and low deserts.  Thinking stuff any off-roader or overlander would want for our area and neighboring areas?

This site actually has the best list of repeaters around. There's also a map that will show you the repeaters all around you. If you go to the menu up at the top, click on map, it will pull the map right up for you.

Good evening mygmrs'ers!

With respect to Chirp and the various column settings using the Tremont Ranch Open Repeater as an example, below are the published settings here on mygmrs:

image.thumb.png.ef86a77ee0629dda5077478f3494a45f.png

Would this be correct settings for that repeater in Chirp?:

image.thumb.png.c0c53805d11bb32ab8cbcf033f4e3f07.png

Do I need a tone squelch or duplex setting here?  Some column settings here seem mutually exclusive, meaning fill one out and it blanks others.  Learning slowly but surely. 

Thanks again for all the help past and present gentlemen!

6 hours ago, DarrylLicht said:

Good evening mygmrs'ers!

With respect to Chirp and the various column settings using the Tremont Ranch Open Repeater as an example, below are the published settings here on mygmrs:

Do I need a tone squelch or duplex setting here?  Some column settings here seem mutually exclusive, meaning fill one out and it blanks others.  Learning slowly but surely. 

First, a caveat.  I don’t have the GMRS version of the UV5R.  I have the regular old one.

Does the GMRS version automatically do the repeater offset or do you need to include a 5 MHz offset in the column marked offset, like you did for Ranchino?

4 hours ago, Sshannon said:

First, a caveat.  I don’t have the GMRS version of the UV5R.  I have the regular old one.

Does the GMRS version automatically do the repeater offset or do you need to include a 5 MHz offset in the column marked offset, like you did for Ranchino?

It did so automatically!

17 hours ago, DarrylLicht said:

Good evening mygmrs'ers!

Is the Tone Out setting of 100MHz for this Tremont Repeater in the top pic the same as the Chirp setting for Tone Squelch?  Do I need to add 100.0 for the Tone Squelch in Chirp?

39 minutes ago, DarrylLicht said:

Is the Tone Out setting of 100MHz for this Tremont Repeater in the top pic the same as the Chirp setting for Tone Squelch?  Do I need to add 100.0 for the Tone Squelch in Chirp?

If you choose Tone, only the transmit tone is important. Your radio will let all transmissions it receives through, regardless of the tone or lack of tone. 
If you change it to Tone Squelch, then your radio will only reproduce the audio from radios that exactly match the tone. 
I recommend not using Tone Squelch until you have a better understanding of how it works. 
Your transmissions still must match the input tone required by the repeater.