So Cal myGMRSers - Who is in the Inland Empire Area I can talk with/test? 60 year old noob needs help -

DarrylLicht

DigiKey and cables are on order so I can use Chirp to program my new UV5Rs soon.  I'm a technical person and not afraid to fiddle.  I am reading and devouring info on GMRS, want to learn the RIGHT way to operate so I can teach the wife and grandkids proper radio use.

Also, can I change my username to display my call sign?  Seems most of you use your call signs and that is a way ppl can reach out via GMRS.

I just want to test my radios and learn proper radio etiquette.  Anyone receiving???

1 hour ago, OffRoaderX said:

Put your radio on Repeater Ch17, add Transmit Tone DPL/DCS D023, and me, or any of a dozen or so people monitoring that repeater via the internet will talk to you..

Hard to discern between the UV-5G, UV-5X and the newest UV-5R(GMRS), but this chart from the UV-5G manual seems to indicate that he might want Channel 25 instead of Channel 17?  

Screen Shot 2023-09-16 at 11.50.42 AM.png

1 hour ago, OffRoaderX said:

Impossible to know without knowing which flavor UV-5R he has.. it might be labeled "repeater 17", it might be labeled "Channel 25", it might not be there at all and he will have to program the frequency (462.600) AND the split himself, from scratch.

First question is how do I know which flavor?  I take it all UV5Rs are not equal?  All it says on it is Baofeng UV5R???

On my radio, yes that freq of 462.6 is REPTR3 #25

36 minutes ago, DarrylLicht said:

I can select either ch17 or 25 and when I push TX (PTT) the display doenst show me the freq.

I also switched to Freq mode and still no responses?

Digirig Interface Kit for programming with Chirp

Forget Freq mode for now

Try Channel 25 outside with a clear view north to Rancho Cucamonga

All you need is a good quality USB to K-1 programming cable (preferably FTDI chip). 

You don’t need a digital modem; those are for ham radios for different purposes 

Did you program in the Digital DCS 023 tone for transmit?

13 minutes ago, WRYS709 said:

Try this on Channel 25:

Push MENU; Push UP ARROW until you see: T-DCS, then push MENU again, then push UP ARROW again until you see D023N, then Push Menu again then push EXIT

DONE!  Thanks - In monitor mode and not hearing any traffic or responses to my rad check requests.

Perhaps Riverside is too far from Rancho for a hand held to reach?

Is it showing the change of frequency when you transmit?

18 minutes ago, WRYS709 said:

Then Push MENU again and push UP ARROW until you see MDF-1, then Push MENU, then push the UP ARROW key until you see FREQ, then push MENU again then push EXIT.

Now you should see the frequency instead of the Name and see if it goes up to 467.600 when you push the Transmit button

What is Monitor mode?

I think you have the older UV-5R

Go to Frequency/VFO Mode and Enter 462.600

Push Menu, Push UP ARROW to T-DCS, Push Menu, Up Arrow to T-DCS, Push Menu, Push UP ARROW to D023N, Push MENU Push EXIT

Push Menu, Push UP ARROW to SFT-D, Push Menu, Push Up Arrow to +, Push Menu, Push Exit

Push MENU, Push UP ARROW to OFFSET, Push MENU, Enter 005.000, Push MENU, Push Exit

Stay in Frequency/VFO Mode and now try transmitting

12 minutes ago, WRYS709 said:

Is it showing the change of frequency when you transmit?

What is Monitor mode?

No.  Pressing TX it still shows that channel not freq.

Monitor mode is to listen to that channel/freq.
The UV5R has a MON button - long press gets you into monitor mode, short press turns on flashlight

The only channel I can hear traffic on is GMRS 16 and it is all in Spanish?  I thought 16 was for off road 4x4 users?

11 minutes ago, WRYS709 said:

I think you have the older UV-5R

Go to Frequency/VFO Mode and Enter 462.600

Push Menu, Push UP ARROW to T-DCS, Push Menu, Up Arrow to T-DCS, Push Menu, Push UP ARROW to D023N, Push MENU Push EXIT

Push Menu, Push UP ARROW to SFT-D, Push Menu, Push Up Arrow to +, Push Menu, Push Exit

Push MENU, Push UP ARROW to OFFSET, Push MENU, Enter 005.000, Push MENU, Push Exit

Stay in Frequency/VFO Mode and now try transmitting

DONE!

Still not hearing any chatter or replies.

GMRS 16 seems to be the only active channel in range of my loc

5 minutes ago, WRYS709 said:

Are you able to see the frequency of 467.600 when you transmit and 462.600 when you receive?

MON only turns off squelch to try to hear weak signals; you don't need it now.

FIRST OFF THANKS TO YOU ALL FOR THE HELP!!!  I TRULY APPRECIATE IT!

The display doesnt change when I hit TX/PTT button,  Still shows freq as 462.600