Where to plug it in?

pjpockets1

Probably already discussed, BUT I don't see it anywhere's so, I want to buy a KGXS20G+, and I want to keep it simple for power supply. The radio comes with a lighter socket plug, but there seems to be some confusion on if it will work properly in a vehicle. My Toyota Tacoma has a lighter socket with 12 volts 120 watts direct to battery as per Toyota service dept. I also have a color generator with a similar setup. Will these work, or do I need a dedicated power supply? Thanks one and all.

33 minutes ago, pjpockets1 said:

Probably already discussed, BUT I don't see it anywhere's so, I want to buy a KGXS20G+, and I want to keep it simple for power supply. The radio comes with a lighter socket plug, but there seems to be some confusion on if it will work properly in a vehicle. My Toyota Tacoma has a lighter socket with 12 volts 120 watts direct to battery as per Toyota service dept. I also have a color generator with a similar setup. Will these work, or do I need a dedicated power supply? Thanks one and all.

Whatever you do don’t hook it up to the 120 volt (unless you like smoke). These radios are designed to run off the car’s battery. You can plug it into the 12 volt dc cigarette lighter type outlet if you want to keep it temporarily installed or for a more permanent use run the wires back to the battery, red + terminal for red wire and battery grounding terminal for the black wire. FYI I don’t remember what the fuse size is for the cigarette lighter outlet, check your Toyota manual if you decide to use that. The fuse size should be equal or greater than the radios 15 amp. I believe it is. 

4 minutes ago, OffRoaderX said:

Geezus, some people could over-complicate a cup of water.

YES, it will work.

Sorry I miss read 12 as 120 (Tacoma’s have that as well). I was typing while the dog was begging for steak from the bbq. 😂 I didn’t mean to over complicate it. Now about that cup of water, is it half full or?

With my KG1000 plus, I run A continuous twelve 12 volt relay to power the radio on the positive side, fuse of course with a 30 amp fuse. Put the ground to the closest body ground I can find. Running off of a circuit in the truck is a invitation for noise, Straight from the battery is best although fused. the battery is a giant capacitor, lots less noise and make the ground as short as possible to a body ground, do not run it back to the battery. By doing that you just made your whole vehicle a ground plane.

31 minutes ago, WRWR489 said:

With my KG1000 plus, I run A continuous twelve 12 volt relay to power the radio on the positive side, fuse of course with a 30 amp fuse. Put the ground to the closest body ground I can find. Running off of a circuit in the truck is a invitation for noise, Straight from the battery is best although fused. the battery is a giant capacitor, lots less noise and make the ground as short as possible to a body ground, do not run it back to the battery. By doing that you just made your whole vehicle a ground plane.

Have you considered using a smaller fuse ?!?

You can run 360W through your wires without getting the fuse "interested" in what is going one. That might be a little much for a radio that generates only 50W output on a good day and is rated for use with a 15A fuse (manual)...

Fuses work best with the spirit of using the lowest fuse possible to protect the power source, the equipment, the wire, and any material close to the three that does not like heat 👍