Newbie Trying to Program UV-5G & UV-9G to Repeaters

WRWL358

Question

9 answers to this question

It's very easy to program a repeater on a GMRS radio vs a ham radio.  I always like to get started by learning how to program on the radio so I understand how it works, then when I want to program a lot of repeaters, I'll use CHIRP.

Programming a repeater on a GMRS radio literally requires only ONE entry:  Just select the correct repeater channel, and enter the TX/Encode CTCSS/DCS tone, and you're done.  Optionally, when your ready to get fancy, you can enter the RX/Decode tone.

On 9/24/2023 at 8:35 PM, OffRoaderX said:

It's very easy to program a repeater on a GMRS radio vs a ham radio.  I always like to get started by learning how to program on the radio so I understand how it works, then when I want to program a lot of repeaters, I'll use CHIRP.

Programming a repeater on a GMRS radio literally requires only ONE entry:  Just select the correct repeater channel, and enter the TX/Encode CTCSS/DCS tone, and you're done.  Optionally, when your ready to get fancy, you can enter the RX/Decode tone.

I have been accepted to 3 repeaters, but I must be doing something wrong because I still cannot talk to anyone. 

10 minutes ago, WRWL358 said:

I am trying to get used to this forum. Is there a way to direct message you?

There sure is.  At the top of the screen is a bell and envelope (that’s somewhat platform dependent).  Clicking on the envelope allows you to send PMs.

Or you can go to someone’s profile and click “Message”.  I’ll send you a message so you can simply reply if that’s easier.

1 minute ago, WRWL358 said:

Repeater: FM 462.575MHz, Input/Output 69.3Hz Used CHIRP to input it into a Baofeng UV-5G. Results silence.

Sorry, I was busy typing up a reply to your PM. I just hit send.

You must use channel 24 on the UV-5G.  That sets the transmit frequency to 467.575 MHz.  For repeaters in GMRS, there's always a 5 MHz offset.

Second, for testing I usually recommend leaving the receive code empty.  That allows all transmissions on that frequency to be heard.

Several people have reported that the UV-5G only transmits in memory mode.

Good luck!

Steve