Antenna recommendations

WRYD530

Question

I have a midland MXT575 in my truck. I’m looking for the best range to hit repeaters and also fars in simplex. Here’s my options. I mounted the stubby antenna directly on top of the roof with the magnet mount. I then switched it to the mxta26 32” 6db gain whip antenna. I like the look and probably has more range but don’t like the cable running on my roof and the cable will be hard to run into the cab.(i might need to extend it) 

The other option is to mount it to the hood. Positives for that are easier routing of cable into cab. will I loose very much signal “power” by moving it to the hood or should I keep it high on the roof?

Give me some opinions on which way you would go. 

11 answers to this question

You will lose range. The antenna will also transmit more directionally. Be slightly more deaf and often have much higher swr, due to the weird shaped/smaller ground plane (compared to the roof).

If range is a concern. Then center of the roof with a high gain antenna, is the optimal answer, almost always.

The cab (windshield and a pillar) will partially shield the signal. Not to mention the 2-3 foot difference in height. The ground plane differences lead to 2db or greater loss compared to a center roof mount. Remember, to get 3db gain (roughly one signal bar) you have to double the power with everything else equal roughly speaking.

Comparably, although it is not as bad as you think. My hood mount antenna hears about 60-75 percent of what it did on center of the roof. Transmits about 75-80 of the center roof mount.

Hence why we always recommend grabbing the drill and mount a nmo. When you do no ground plane antennas, stealth antennas, mag mounts, sub optimal locations. You take a comprimse and add more comprimises. Really comes down to what you can live with.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

I mounted a Midland MXTA26 to a Third Brake Light bracket i got on Ebay on my Ram..  Very clean install, no drilling and coax easily routes within the headliner through the back side of the third brake light. ..  The bracket mounts between the brake light and the roof chassis and looks like a factory install..  I was going to drill the 5/8" hole in the roof but i ran into this bracket a guy was selling, he never used..  I can easily hit repeaters 75-80 miles out,  The bracket i got was unpackaged and has no manufacture name tags, otherwise i would share that info..   But i'm sure you can find with a google search.  

Edited..  I found the info on the bracket..  It's made by Bullet Proof, here is a video...    These things are a bit pricey...  I got mine for $75, not sure if i would pay the $300 new price..  It is a high quality item....   

I mounted a Midland MXTA26 to a Third Brake Light bracket i got on Ebay on my Ram..  Very clean install, no drilling and coax easily routes within the headliner through the back side of the third brake light. ..  The bracket mounts between the brake light and the roof chassis and looks like a factory install..  I was going to drill the 5/8" hole in the roof but i ran into this bracket a guy was selling, he never used..  I can easily hit repeaters 75-80 miles out,  The bracket i got was unpackaged and has no manufacture name tags, otherwise i would share that info..   But i'm sure you can find with a google search.  
Edited..  I found the info on the bracket..  It's made by Bullet Proof, here is a video...    These things are a bit pricey...  I got mine for $75, not sure if i would pay the $300 new price..  It is a high quality item....   

Must be nice. Can't even get that range with my 2m radio and antenna.

Damn rolling hills of the d.c. area.

22 minutes ago, kidphc said:

Must be nice. Can't even get that range with my 2m radio and antenna.

Damn rolling hills of the d.c. area.

rolling hills will kill ya.. There aren't too many repeaters i can hit in the 70 mile rage.. The repeater in particular i like is located on El Paso Peak in the  Mojave Desert and overlooks the desert valley as far as the eye can see in all directions.  I've talked from Acton Calif to Lone Pine Calif through this repeater with no problems..  End to End that is about 130 miles..  I've heard some reports that people can hit this repeater from Barstow, which would make end to end Barstow to Line at about 150 miles.   The Midland antenna is nice GMRS antenna works well.  I use a Hytera HM782 radio and it's doing a nice job.  

On 9/29/2023 at 8:49 AM, kidphc said:

You will lose range. The antenna will also transmit more directionally. Be slightly more deaf and often have much higher swr, due to the weird shaped/smaller ground plane (compared to the roof).

If range is a concern. Then center of the roof with a high gain antenna, is the optimal answer, almost always.

The cab (windshield and a pillar) will partially shield the signal. Not to mention the 2-3 foot difference in height. The ground plane differences lead to 2db or greater loss compared to a center roof mount. Remember, to get 3db gain (roughly one signal bar) you have to double the power with everything else equal roughly speaking.

Comparably, although it is not as bad as you think. My hood mount antenna hears about 60-75 percent of what it did on center of the roof. Transmits about 75-80 of the center roof mount.

Hence why we always recommend grabbing the drill and mount a nmo. When you do no ground plane antennas, stealth antennas, mag mounts, sub optimal locations. You take a comprimse and add more comprimises. Really comes down to what you can live with.

This is good information. So I should keep it on the roof. Now I need to figure out how to extend the cable to get it inside the cab. Will I loose signal with say 5-10 more feet of cable?

This is good information. So I should keep it on the roof. Now I need to figure out how to extend the cable to get it inside the cab. Will I loose signal with say 5-10 more feet of cable?
Not noticeably. You will lose a little more gain, with the additional cable and connectors. But it will be marginal.

Usually, more of a problem with longer runs, say +50 feet. Then coax choices and connector choices start being critical, to reduce loses.

Many of us have long runs of lmr400 with connectors that cost almost as much as the cable. Only to have jumpers of 3-5 feet of rg58 (due to the flexibility and size).

By the way chances, are the mount you are using has rg58.

Most f150 guys just use the third brake light mount due to convienence of routing and installation. The ones I have spoken to have said they feel it isn't optimal. But easy of install and not drilling was worth it. Not sure if any of them tried bonding the mount (ground strap) or if they are even isolated (to prevent dissimilar metal corrosion). One fire dept guy on his f350 went with an aluminum cap and drilled out the cap for 4 nmos. He likes to listen to the boys when he is off duty and will go to call if he thinks he can help.

9 hours ago, kidphc said:

Not noticeably. You will lose a little more gain, with the additional cable and connectors. But it will be marginal.

Usually, more of a problem with longer runs, say +50 feet. Then coax choices and connector choices start being critical, to reduce loses.

Many of us have long runs of lmr400 with connectors that cost almost as much as the cable. Only to have jumpers of 3-5 feet of rg58 (due to the flexibility and size).

By the way chances, are the mount you are using has rg58.

Most f150 guys just use the third brake light mount due to convienence of routing and installation. The ones I have spoken to have said they feel it isn't optimal. But easy of install and not drilling was worth it. Not sure if any of them tried bonding the mount (ground strap) or if they are even isolated (to prevent dissimilar metal corrosion). One fire dept guy on his f350 went with an aluminum cap and drilled out the cap for 4 nmos. He likes to listen to the boys when he is off duty and will go to call if he thinks he can help.

I checked in the 3rd brake mount. They don’t make one for my truck. 2020 GMC sierra 3500. Maybe I’ll call and see if they will make one. 

Looking at cable. Would it be a good idea to upgrade from the stock midland cable to a Messi & Paoloni ultraflex 7 since I need to add length anyway to run into can? Any advantage to that? I can get it custom length to any foot. Also what connectors should I go with?