Car Roof Mounted FRS Radio with Antenna

Over2U

The Back Country Access (BCA) “BC Link 2.0” is a two watt FRS radio with a unique design: the radio body, battery, and antenna are in one piece, connected by cable to a speaker/mic unit which includes channel selection and volume controls. For vehicle use, would overall FRS performance be greatly improved if the antenna unit was mounted outside, for instance on the rain gutter, while the cable to the speaker/mic controls was passed through the door seal for the driver’s use?

IMG_1598.webp

Edited by Over2U
Clarify topic description. Add photo.

The Back Country Access (BCA) “BC Link 2.0” is a two watt FRS radio with a unique design: the radio body, battery, and antenna are in one piece, connected by cable to a speaker/mic unit which includes channel selection and volume controls. For vehicle use, would overall FRS performance be greatly improved if the antenna unit was mounted outside, for instance on the rain gutter, while the cable to the speaker/mic controls was passed through the door seal for the driver’s use?

It appears this is a handheld radio, intended for hiking, hunting, and other outdoor activities. If you want a handheld to use in a vehicle, there are many different models with removable antennas, so you could attach an exterior vehicle antenna. Most also offer higher power.

While the BCA handheld doesn’t appeal to me, I don’t see the point of changing it when so many other options exist.

54 minutes ago, WRUZ229 said:

It appears this is a handheld radio, intended for hiking, hunting, and other outdoor activities. If you want a handheld to use in a vehicle, there are many different models with removable antennas, so you could attach an exterior vehicle antenna. Most also offer higher power.

While the BCA handheld doesn’t appeal to me, I don’t see the point of changing it when so many other options exist.

Those handhelds with removable antennas are not FRS radios. 

1 hour ago, Over2U said:

Radio Shack sold such a radio back in the day. The guts of the radio was in the magnetic base, to comply with the fixed antenna rule. The controls were in a remote speaker mic that was run into the passenger compartment.

Radio Shack 21-1850 Mobile / Marine 14 Channel Personal CB Radio NEW ...

20 minutes ago, WRUZ229 said:

….but my point remains the same.

🥸

And out of place. This is the FRS Forum and the title is about mounting an FRS radio on the roof. 
You’re correct that “there are many different models with removable antennas, so you could attach an exterior vehicle antenna. Most also offer higher power ” but none of them are FRS certified, a point which you failed to make. 

I had one of those Radio Shack FRS radios for many years on my SUV.. At the then maximum of one half watt transmitter power it did very well, due, in large measure I believe, to the location of the antenna external to the metal body of the vehicle. It is that benefit to performance that I would hope to achieve with the BCA radio putting out two watts through a similarly mounted external antenna.

And out of place. This is the FRS Forum and the title is about mounting an FRS radio on the roof. 
You’re correct that “there are many different models with removable antennas, so you could attach an exterior vehicle antenna. Most also offer higher power ” but none of them are FRS certified, a point which you failed to make. 

If OP is looking for an exterior antenna that may well be the only option, but I will leave the conversation at this point.

@Over2U You are right in thinking an external antenna will make a big difference but FRS doesn't allow you to change the antenna. So your only options are to just stick with what you have or get a different radio. If cost is an issue, the Baofeng MP31s are very cheap and I have used one with an external antenna with great success.

12 hours ago, Over2U said:

For vehicle use, would overall FRS performance be greatly improved if the antenna unit was mounted outside, for instance on the rain gutter, while the cable to the speaker/mic controls was passed through the door seal for the driver’s use?

I didn't see any mention of detachable antennas... The way I read this was OP was not looking at a different detachable antenna but rather putting the existing part of the radio that is the antenna as well as the radio body outside the vehicle for better range while using the mic inside the vehicle. So the answer is yes it would help with the range that is until this thing takes a beating outside at 60 miles an hour and you couldn't see the screen. Thus my response of I don't think it was intended for this purpose. 😅

queue footage of radio flopping around in the wind😂

Edited by WRUU653

14 hours ago, Over2U said:

Use of FRS radios is a controversial topic amongst GMRS users, as they mostly see it as more interference to their licensed activities.  So you are asking the fox how best to protect the henhouse!

I say: Just get yourself a GMRS license and now you can use detached antennas and more power!

Good luck!

16 hours ago, Over2U said:

For vehicle use, would overall FRS performance be greatly improved if the antenna unit was mounted outside, for instance on the rain gutter, while the cable to the speaker/mic controls was passed through the door seal

Using any handheld from inside a car is an exercise in frustration, so if you can figure out a way to attach this thing outside to the roof then yes, it would improve the performance. It's hard to say if it would "greatly" improve, but by golly it won't be worse. I believe this answers the question you asked.

• Over2U changed the title to Car Roof Mounted FRS Radio with Antenna
18 hours ago, Over2U said:

The Back Country Access (BCA) “BC Link 2.0” is a two watt FRS radio with a unique design: the radio body, battery, and antenna are in one piece, connected by cable to a speaker/mic unit which includes channel selection and volume controls.

Truth be told, for the price of one of these overpriced units (~$190), you could buy a Retevis RA25 mobile radio, a decent but cheap antenna with mount and cable, and purchase your GMRS license, and still have a few dollars left over for Taco Bell.

Truth be told, for the price of one of these overpriced units (~$190), you could buy a Retevis RA25 mobile radio, a decent but cheap antenna with mount and cable, and purchase your GMRS license, and still have a few dollars left over for Taco Bell.

Be careful with that dirty talk, or you may be told you’re “inappropriate”

7 minutes ago, back4more70 said:

I have never encountered any, what kind of problems?

In my experience, code plugs created by the Retevis Ra-25 CPS software cannot be shared nor used by those who use the Anytone/Radioddity CPS software. 

This is especially a problem for radio clubs that offer pre-programmed code plugs for their members.