Recommend Me A Repeater Controller (Update)

tcp2525

Question

12 answers to this question

40 minutes ago, gortex2 said:

I would search for the service manual. If I remember right they have a 9pin on the back for accessory stuff. If so I'd just make a back to back cable. No need for a controller to be honest. 

Thanks. I do have the service manual and noticed the pinout and do see the TX/RX audio circuit as well switching. It would be nice to not need a controller. I assumed I would need one for timeout timer and ID to be legal?

No requirement to ID. Search the site and 100's of arguments over it. As long as you ID your good. 

You need RX Audio, COR (carrier relay) and ground from the receive radio (467.xxx). On TX radio you need TX Audio (Mic High), Ground and PTT.

On the Motorola COR to PTT, RX Audio to TX audio and Ground to Ground. Should be similar on this radio.

Many controllers incorporate ID, audio processing and other features. 

21 minutes ago, WRUE951 said:

start out with a simple ID-O-Matic.  For $50 you cant find anything to match it..  Will get the job done and easy to incorporate and learn.  

This!

And don’t listen to bad advice that says no ID is needed. The regulations are clear. 
There is one exception: if only the people who are authorized to use the repeater operator’s call sign use the repeater, and they do ID with that call sign, then the repeater doesn’t need to be separately identified. 

2 hours ago, Sshannon said:

This!

And don’t listen to bad advice that says no ID is needed. The regulations are clear. 
There is one exception: if only the people who are authorized to use the repeater operator’s call sign use the repeater, and they do ID with that call sign, then the repeater doesn’t need to be separately identified. 

A good thing about a repeater IDing is that at least you know there is a repeater on that frequency. Let's say you were thinking about putting up a repeater, so you monitor a certain frequency and never hear anyone or any ID, so you think great, the frequency is open! Then you set up your repeater only to learn you're now fighting with someone that already had a repeater set up! I don't know if it is or isn't required, but it's certainly a good idea to have it ID occasionally 

4 hours ago, WRUE951 said:

start out with a simple ID-O-Matic.  For $50 you cant find anything to match it..  Will get the job done and easy to incorporate and learn.  

Thanks guys! The ID-O-Matic looks like what I'm looking for. This should be simple and keep me compliant. The radio is Part 90 & 95 compliant as well. I just ordered my 15-pin DSUB connectors to make the harness, so I'm making progress. I'm hoping this will be a fun project. Again, the help is so much appreciated.

50 minutes ago, tcp2525 said:

Thanks guys! The ID-O-Matic looks like what I'm looking for. This should be simple and keep me compliant. The radio is Part 90 & 95 compliant as well. I just ordered my 15-pin DSUB connectors to make the harness, so I'm making progress. I'm hoping this will be a fun project. Again, the help is so much appreciated.

just be aware that the I-D-O Matic is a kit. You assemble and solder the parts onto the suppled board...  You can order  assembled for a few extra bucks.   The kit form is pretty easy, fun and a learning tool..   

On 10/10/2023 at 8:40 AM, gortex2 said:

I would search for the service manual. If I remember right they have a 9pin on the back for accessory stuff. If so I'd just make a back to back cable. No need for a controller to be honest. 

I had some to play with this while waiting for my ID-O-Matic to arrive and hit a roadblock. Pin 7: TRX doesn't have the specified voltage as described (See Pic). I can't seem to find out how to turn it on in software either. Any ideas? I was able to find and turn on Pin 6: EXT PTT and that works, but I'm going to need to get TRX working in the receiver. Thanks again for the help.

VX-4207.jpg

I just want to give you guys an update. I received my ID-O-Matic Saturday. I also spent some time studying the schematic as Pin 7 wasn't the right one for this task. What I found was, though the manual states Pin 13 and 14 aren't used, the circuitry is in the schematic and the parts are on the board. I got my meter out and checked the test points and nothing. So, I went into the software and turned on PTT and nothing. Amazing when I turned on "AF Mute" I got my 5v when the carrier broke PL!! Everything is together and working perfect. The ID-O-Matic is powered from the receiver's DC OUT Pin 4. No mods to the radio, just I nice neat cable and box going between the two radios.