2023 Ford Escape antenna options

WRYZ926

On 10/24/2023 at 9:43 PM, WRYZ926 said:

There isn't a whole lot of space to mount radios in the Escape. I might go with the BTech GMRS-20V2. That way I only need to worry about the dual band head unit and two mic's. 

I understand the lack of space. It is true for most cars today. For my mobile I opted for the Midland MXT575 and placed it under the passenger seat. I did have to use a microphone extension form Midland, but the unit itself is out of view.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally received everything needed to mount my 2m/70cm radio and GMRS radio in my Escape. My stuff took the scenic route thanks to the ever efficient USPS. 🤔

I am using a Comet SSB1-NMO antenna for 2m/70cm and a Tram 1174 NMO antenna for GMRS, both are on magnet mounts. I found a spot along the main wiring harness under the dash to pass the power wires through. Positive wires are to the battery and ground wires go to chassis ground. The Comet is in the center of the roof while the Tram is towards the back end of the roof.

Both radios are mounted under the driver's seat and the remote heads are mounted to a Lido seat bolt mount. I did have to go with an external speaker for the 2/m70cm radio which is mounted to the bottom of the dash close to the door. I will have to wait and see if an external speaker will be needed for the GMRS radio since it has two speakers on the main unit and a good speaker in the hand mic.

I am using a TYT TH-7800 dual band radio for amateur frequencies and a Wouxun KG-1000G+ for GMRS. Here is a photo showing both head units on the seat bolt mount.

Escaperadios.jpg.da8734b169940c75a56bf2b32f514d83.jpg

I understand the lack of space. It is true for most cars today. For my mobile I opted for the Midland MXT575 and placed it under the passenger seat. I did have to use a microphone extension form Midland, but the unit itself is out of view.

I did the same, under drivers seat.

FYI - one need not use a Midland mic extension, any Cat5 extension will work fine.

Well since I started this thread asking about antennas, I should post a photo of them.

Escapeantennas.jpg.013a008b826c49398c9cf660601552d6.jpg

2 hours ago, WRUZ229 said:

FYI - one need not use a Midland mic extension, any Cat5 extension will work fine.

Does the Midland use the standard Cat5 pinouts or did you have to swap any wires?

Well since I started this thread asking about antennas, I should post a photo of them.
http://files.mygmrs.com/forums/monthly_2023_11/Escapeantennas.jpg.013a008b826c49398c9cf660601552d6.jpg

Does the Midland use the standard Cat5 pinouts or did you have to swap any wires?

Did not modify at all. Used this one from Amazon, then trimmed to fit an existing dash blank to the right of my steering wheel (4Runner) so my Midland 575 plugs into the dash.

CERRXIAN RJ45 Male to Female LAN Ethernet Network Cat 5e Panel Mount Cable (Black)(2m) https://a.co/d/1WLc6Wh

f1b2ab9455a0a05b62934a605b2900ef.jpg

4 minutes ago, BoxCar said:

Straight-through cables and the various Cat cables all connect pin 1 to pin 1 at each end of the cable. The difference being the color of the wire strands used. There are other differences but they are important only in network situations.

I am very familiar with making and using network cables. I just tested the Wouxun KG-1000G connection cable and it is not wired the same as a standard network cable.

For those interested in making a custom length cable for their Wouxun KG-100G here is the pin outs.

• 1 - 1
  • 2 - 2
  • 3 - 3
  • 4 - 4
  • 5 - 7
  • 6 - 6
  • 7 - 5
  • 8 - 8